Locked #IssueReport #Linux - Bad font on Freq Cal popup in 2.6.0 rc2 (although I saw this is 2.5.4 as well). #IssueReport #linux

Tim Dawson

I am getting the popup that results from "Solve for calibration parameters" as largely mangled text. THe header "Good Calibration Solution" is clean, but what appear to be the two lines immediately below look like some odd ASCII graphics character set, and are totally illegible.

I'd include an image, but this site inexplicably does not allow anything that useful, but can mail the jpeg capture on request.

(This is a source build against the 8/2 Hamlib 4.5 GIT image . . . All else seems to be fine, and no other odd text anywhere else . . . )

Roger

On 03/08/2022 23:18, Tim Dawson wrote:
I am getting the popup that results from "Solve for calibration parameters" as largely mangled text. THe header "Good Calibration Solution" is clean, but what appear to be the two lines immediately below look like some odd ASCII graphics character set, and are totally illegible.
I'd include an image, but this site inexplicably does not allow anything that useful, but can mail the jpeg capture on request.
(This is a source build against the 8/2 Hamlib 4.5 GIT image . . . All else seems to be fine, and no other odd text anywhere else . . . )
The site does allow images when it is not possible to copy and paste the text. This seems to be one of those occasions to me. Please make sure that only the essential part of the screen shot is in your image.

Tim Dawson

Yeah, my capture is just the popup, so it should be small. I made the prior post via the web page and not email, and did not see an attachment button . . . since the thread is running, I'll add it momemtarily when I get back to that computer.

On August 3, 2022 6:30:51 PM CDT, Roger <groups@...> wrote:
On 03/08/2022 23:18, Tim Dawson wrote:
I am getting the popup that results from "Solve for calibration parameters" as largely mangled text. THe header "Good Calibration Solution" is clean, but what appear to be the two lines immediately below look like some odd ASCII graphics character set, and are totally illegible.

I'd include an image, but this site inexplicably does not allow anything that useful, but can mail the jpeg capture on request.

(This is a source build against the 8/2 Hamlib 4.5 GIT image . . . All else seems to be fine, and no other odd text anywhere else . . . )

The site does allow images when it is not possible to copy and paste the text. This seems to be one of those occasions to me. Please make sure that only the essential part of the screen shot is in your image.

Tim Dawson

Image of this condition attached - all 9KB of it! :-)

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
On 03/08/2022 23:18, Tim Dawson wrote:
I am getting the popup that results from "Solve for calibration parameters" as largely mangled text. THe header "Good Calibration Solution" is clean, but what appear to be the two lines immediately below look like some odd ASCII graphics character set, and are totally illegible.

I'd include an image, but this site inexplicably does not allow anything that useful, but can mail the jpeg capture on request.

(This is a source build against the 8/2 Hamlib 4.5 GIT image . . . All else seems to be fine, and no other odd text anywhere else . . . )

The site does allow images when it is not possible to copy and paste the text.  This seems to be one of those occasions to me.  Please make sure that only the essential part of the screen shot is in your image.
Tim Dawson (tadawson@...) Owner/Engineer
TPC Services Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067
"Gaff Tape can't fix 'Stupid', but it can muffle the sound..."

Tim Dawson

Submitted 9k image . . . apparently it is stuck awaiting approval somewhere . . .

On August 3, 2022 6:30:51 PM CDT, Roger <groups@...> wrote:
On 03/08/2022 23:18, Tim Dawson wrote:
I am getting the popup that results from "Solve for calibration parameters" as largely mangled text. THe header "Good Calibration Solution" is clean, but what appear to be the two lines immediately below look like some odd ASCII graphics character set, and are totally illegible.

I'd include an image, but this site inexplicably does not allow anything that useful, but can mail the jpeg capture on request.

(This is a source build against the 8/2 Hamlib 4.5 GIT image . . . All else seems to be fine, and no other odd text anywhere else . . . )

The site does allow images when it is not possible to copy and paste the text. This seems to be one of those occasions to me. Please make sure that only the essential part of the screen shot is in your image.

Mike Black

What operating system?
Mike W9MDB

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
[...]

As noted in the tags and text, Linux . . .

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
[...]

Reino Talarmo

Hi Tim,

I don't know Linux, but in Windows you can copy the text of any info/error window by having focus on it and using Ctrl-C and then add it as a text to a mail or any text editor by Ctrl-V.

The attachments are not generally allowed on this group, but a compressed version is sometimes passed through. The one that we saw clearly shows that your selected font is not a typical "ASCII" character set, but from a higher valued part of it. Have tried to change Font in the Settings | General ? You may also provide a link to some other service such as Dropbox and put your picture there. In this case it would only give a sharper image, but would somebody identify the font is another issue.

73, Reino OH3mA

Tim Dawson

It's running whatever font is the default, and there are no other issues in any other software package or screen/popup in WSJT-X, so I tend to think the issue is within WSJT-X on Linux somehow botching the font. This is a window capture (note window, not screen) which should be at the resolution it came up in, and was pretty tiny . . . (9K) I'll check again, but I suspect the forum may be kiilling the image, since I have no real control over the res of a capture. (And I don't use "Windowsey" tools like dropbox, since I can serve my own images and such . . . never found a use, and just opens more potential security holes.) Having said that, if someone really wants it directly, I can open an ftp port and account as needed.

It's also possible that whatever font got embedded in the code does not exist on Linux, and it is botching a substitute, but again . . . why just *that* popup and nothing else? It makes zero sense that that minor popup would use something different than the rest of the package.

Perhaps I will fish in the code, since I don't sense much desire here to debug this . . .

On August 4, 2022 12:06:37 AM CDT, Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...> wrote:
Hi Tim,

I don't know Linux, but in Windows you can copy the text of any info/error window by having focus on it and using Ctrl-C and then add it as a text to a mail or any text editor by Ctrl-V.

The attachments are not generally allowed on this group, but a compressed version is sometimes passed through. The one that we saw clearly shows that your selected font is not a typical "ASCII" character set, but from a higher valued part of it. Have tried to change Font in the Settings | General ? You may also provide a link to some other service such as Dropbox and put your picture there. In this case it would only give a sharper image, but would somebody identify the font is another issue.

73, Reino OH3mA

Tim Dawson

FYI, looking, I find the font is set to SansSerif Normal, 9 point . . . Things don't get much more generic than that . . . (Decoded text fount is Courier Bold 10).

I can set anything in the font selection, and still get the same gibberish . . . (Tried different sized of Sans Serif as well as Courier, since they are used all over the rest of WSJT-X and render cleanly . . . No joy here . . .

On 8/4/22 12:06 AM, Reino Talarmo wrote:
[...]

OK, found where it is coming from . . .

In widgets/mainwindow.cpp, we see this:

else if (MessageBox::Apply == MessageBox::query_message (this
, tr ("Good Calibration Solution")
, tr ("<pre>"
"%1%L2 ±%L3 ppm\n"
"%4%L5 ±%L6 Hz\n\n"
"%7%L8\n"

"%9%L10 Hz"
"</pre>")
.arg ("Slope: ", 12).arg (b, 0, 'f', 3).arg (sigmab, 0, 'f', 3)
.arg ("Intercept: ", 12).arg (a, 0, 'f', 2).arg (sigmaa, 0, 'f', 2)
.arg ("N: ", 12).arg (iz)
.arg ("StdDev: ", 12).arg (rms, 0, 'f', 2)
, QString {}
, MessageBox::Cancel | MessageBox::Apply)) {

(Another small image attached).

HTML isn't my world, but it looks like the <pre> tag is causing the popup window to change something in text rendering that is bad . . . The fact that I can drop this tag, and get the text in the specified font cleanly tends to tell me that this is definitely an issue in the WSJT-X code, and nothing in the system, or font selection . . .

(Followup: <pre> caused a change to a fixed width font for preformatted text, according to a search . . . Soo, looked at the fixed width font on this box, and it was somehow set to a font called "Cursor", which is *exactly* those goofball symbols! I don't recall ever setting that, so a mystery of how it got there, but if nothing else, the discussion ultimately led me to figure it out via reading the source!

So, I guess thanks for the motivation!

(The only issue now is that since you asked me to try a main font change, somehow, despite being set to a normal font, it's coming up bold, which it had not before . . . If it's not one thing, it's another . . . )

Well, figured that out as well . . . Looks like the font selection from WSJT-X was leaving the "Bold" tag in the .ini file, despite the "Normal" font being selected. A quick edit got that back as well . . . Interesting in that there isn't a "Bold" choice listed in the font selector, but yet it was setting that . . .

- Tim

[...]

Followup on the font issue reported at the end of my last . . .

I can go between the types of the initially selected font (Sans Serif) and I get the choices of "Normal", "Italic" and "Oblique" without issue, but if I go to Courier (which has no "Normal") and get "Bold", then when I go back to Sans Serif/Normal, the Bold tag is stuck from the other font. Not a huge problem, and not sure if WSJT-X is handling this, or a library, but it's definitely a real (albeit minor) issue found in 2.6.0-rc2 (not sure about prior - never had a reason to change fonts . . . ).

Manual edits have be back to normal, so might just throw this on the bug list . . .

- Tim

Tim Dawson (tadawson@...) Owner/Engineer
TPC Services Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067
"Gaff Tape can't fix 'Stupid', but it can muffle the sound..."

Mike Black

I am unable to duplicate this problem on Ubuntu 21.04
I suspect you are missing a font.  Do you have any messages in wsjtx_syslog.log that might mention fonts?
Mike W9MDB

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
[...]

Michael - Please find my last two messages after the one you replied to, which give full details of what I found. In a nutshell, WSJT-X is calling a system font that does not appear in the WSJT-X settings (fixed, via the <pre> html tag) and that font had been set to "Cursor", which is that symbol set, that apparently, absolutely nothing else on the system has ever used to see it prior. Another small issue was found as well, also detailed there.

- Tim

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
[...]

What linux version are you running?
My Courier on Ubuntu 21.04 has Bold, Bold Italic, Italic, Regular
I take it the problem is fixed with another font?
Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 01:32:35 AM CDT, Tim Dawson <tadawson@...> wrote:

Followup on the font issue reported at the end of my last . . .

I can go between the types of the initially selected font (Sans Serif)
and I get the choices of "Normal", "Italic" and "Oblique" without issue,
but if I go to Courier (which has no "Normal") and get "Bold", then when
I go back to Sans Serif/Normal, the Bold tag is stuck from the other
font.  Not a huge problem, and not sure if WSJT-X is handling this, or a
library, but it's definitely a real (albeit minor) issue found in
2.6.0-rc2 (not sure about prior - never had a reason to change fonts . .
. ).

Manual edits have be back to normal, so might just throw this on the bug
list . . .

- Tim

Tim Dawson (tadawson@...)                    Owner/Engineer
TPC Services                                        Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067
"Gaff Tape can't fix 'Stupid', but it can muffle the sound..."

Mike Black

Ubuntu, RedHat, some other version?

On 8/3/22 6:30 PM, Roger wrote:
[...]

I don't really do mainline distros - they tend to be too downrev, and most of the management tools stink (and all the key stuff is the same on all of then anyhow). I basically started with Slackware 14.2 and maintain via source compiles . . . And yes, settting the system fixed font to an actual alpha (and not symbol) font resolved this . . . I just noted that this has to be done at the systemmlevel - WSJT-X itself cannot set this font, despite using it.

On August 4, 2022 9:35:00 AM CDT, "Michael Black via groups.io" <mdblack98@...> wrote:
[...]

Really makes little difference, since none of the core stuff is distro-centric anyhow. Pretty much has become my own distro, based on Slackware 14.2 . . . (Ubuntu, RedHat, etc. are *NOT* operating systems themselves, but rather distributions of the *Linux* operating system . . . thus my reply . . .)