locked stopped decoding #decode

Sheldon Apsell

My rig is a Kenwood 590SG and a Dell Optiplex computer running WSTJ-X version 2.5.4 under Windows 10 and 11. When I first got the computer it was set up with Windows 11, but I could not get it to decode FT8 even though I could see and hear signals. After several frustrating months trying everything I could think of, I decided to uninstall Windows 11 and install Windows 10. Amazingly, as soon as I ran WSJT-X with Windows 10, the waterfall display came alive and decodes came every cycle. I was in DX heaven. Everything worked perfectly for several months and then I became involved with one of my other hobbies and did not operate the rig for about a month. With the recent spate of hot weather, I decided to stay in my air-conditioned condo and get back on the air. To my surprise, even though nothing had changed the computer once again would not decode FT8 signals. However, I did notice that if I left the transceiver and computer running for extended periods of time it would occasionally decode one block and then stop. I thought that this was probably a timing issue. I had been running the Atomic Clock app set up to resync every 5 minutes and Time.is was indicating the system clock was ahead or behind by 0.5 seconds or less. Nevertheless, I decided to try Dimension 4 and then Meinberg but that did not solve the problem. I also checked all the menu settings on the 590SG (which fortunately I had recorded when everything was working), but could find no discrepancies. I also checked that I was using USB and that the AGC was off. The com port appears to be working properly. I saw in a previous note that the Windows Enhanced Audio could cause problems, so I made sure that it was disabled. I also notice that when I first run WSJT-X I see a lot of signal activity in the display under the waterfall and then I see just noise and then it becomes a flat line. Also, the decode button flashes every 15 seconds or so but I see no decodes. I suspect that these are important clues but I do not know how to interpret them.

I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sheldon Apsell

KC1NDL

Dave Garber

did you confirm that Wsjt is in fact in ft8 mode, and not another mode,
with ft8 frequency showing?

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 3:45 AM Sheldon Apsell <sheldonapsell@...>
wrote:

[...]

Gilbert Baron

I am using 590SG and W10 too. (My older desktop cannot run W11 so that will not happen) too and DXLABS Commander for radio control. I have never had this problem and I hope I never do. If you find the answer, please post it and maybe email me direct so I will be warned. I first started FT8 using only WSJTX , not Commander, for control and had no problem there either. Maybe I AM JUST LUCKY. 😊

The desktop is an HP that has lots of slots and I did add an SSD but it worked fine before that, just more slowly.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN

Hierro Candente Batir de Repente

44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

fritz1000@...

What do you hear from your rig speakers when you first start up wsjt-x and see signals in the wsjt-x waterfall AND as the wsjt-x waterfall signals fade? As the fading occurs, do the signals move across the waterfall or stay stationary and do the signals fade from the rig speakers?

Sheldon Apsell

I can hear signals in the rig speakers all the time. The audio signals do not fade as the waterfall descends. However, there are large blank areas in the waterfall occasionally interrupted by a signal in red. Could this be an audio problem rather than a timing problem?
Sheldon KC1NDL

On Aug 3, 2022, at 11:19 AM, fritz1000 via groups.io <fritz1000@...> wrote:

What do you hear from your rig speakers when you first start up wsjt-x and see signals in the wsjt-x waterfall AND as the wsjt-x waterfall signals fade? As the fading occurs, do the signals move across the waterfall or stay stationary and do the signals fade from the rig speakers?

Sheldon Apsell

WSJT-X is displaying FT8 on the bottom left of the display. It also shows 20m and it follows the 590SG frequency exactly when I change the VFO by a little bit.
Sheldon KC1NDL

wrote:

[...]

Lyle Giese

Check power settings for the comm port you are using for rig control in Windows. Sometimes Windows will turn off the USB ports for power saving.

Not saying this is your problem. I have had problems with USB audio moving if I accidentally moved the USB cord from port A to port B if disconnecting for cleaning. In WSJT-X, check the audio ports to make sure they are set correctly pointing to the USB audio ports.

Lyle
KD9RCN

fritz1000@...

Have you gone through the USB settings for the rig and checked them against some set that is known to work? It sounds like the audio signal that is generated by the receiver is not getting to wsjt-x. That could be a problem in the rig, in the USB cable or in the USB audio drivers or the windows 10 audio settings. I think you need to verify that your rig is set up for all audio signals to and from the pc are set for the USB audio codec and that wsjt-x audio settings are too. Also, your windows10 audio settings have to be verified including checking to make sure the USB Audio CODEC drivers are installed correctly. Maybe the gods of bits and electrons have conspired against hams today and you are fighting the battle to save us all.

fritz1000@...

If y haven't already done so you also might try different USB cable.

fritz1000@...

There might be a squelch in the USB connection that is shutting down the connection. Icom has that (unless I'm misunderstanding what it is) so try to find it and set it so that nothing gets "squelched".

Glen

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What do you hear from your rig speakers when you first start up wsjt-x
and see signals in the wsjt-x waterfall AND as the wsjt-x waterfall
signals fade? As the fading occurs, do the signals move across the
waterfall or stay stationary and do the signals fade from the rig speakers?

fritz1000@...

I'm sorry if I sound a lot obsessive bug I am. I have encountered very similar problems several times and eventually nuked the whole thing and reinstalled windows 10 and all the ham software. I've done it at least 5 times in the last 3 years but I somehow screw up my wondows10 audio often and sometimes just can't fix them. One last suggestion, if you know what you're doing, it might work if you uninstall the USB drivers and CODECS etc and reinstall them. Sorry I couldn't help.

Sheldon Apsell

No need to apologize. I appreciate all of the suggestions. I checked the USB settings and I know that the digital part is working because WSJT-X has no problems in following changes in the rig VFO frequency. Is it possible for the digital part of the USB to work and not the audio part? I did reload the USB Audio CODEC drivers, but I will try that again. I will go through the Windows 10 audio settings again. Hopefully there is something there that I have overlooked.
Thank you for these suggestions.
Sheldon KC1NDL

On Aug 3, 2022, at 5:03 PM, fritz1000 via groups.io <fritz1000@...> wrote:

I'm sorry if I sound a lot obsessive bug I am. I have encountered very similar problems several times and eventually nuked the whole thing and reinstalled windows 10 and all the ham software. I've done it at least 5 times in the last 3 years but I somehow screw up my wondows10 audio often and sometimes just can't fix them. One last suggestion, if you know what you're doing, it might work if you uninstall the USB drivers and CODECS etc and reinstall them. Sorry I couldn't help.

Sheldon Apsell

The Windows 10 Device Manager is showing the Audio Codec on com4 and that is what I have selected on the WSJT-X set up. Clicking on the Audio Codec tab indicates a status of working. However, I will try other com ports and see if that has any effect. Thank you for the suggestions.
Sheldon KC1NDL

On Aug 3, 2022, at 12:43 PM, Lyle Giese <lyle@...> wrote:

Check power settings for the comm port you are using for rig control in Windows. Sometimes Windows will turn off the USB ports for power saving.

Not saying this is your problem. I have had problems with USB audio moving if I accidentally moved the USB cord from port A to port B if disconnecting for cleaning. In WSJT-X, check the audio ports to make sure they are set correctly pointing to the USB audio ports.

Lyle
KD9RCN

Tim Dawson

I would not think that an audio device would appear as a COM port - COM ports, by definition, are either serial,ports, or USB implementations thereof . . . not audio . . .

On August 3, 2022 8:31:16 PM CDT, Sheldon Apsell <sheldonapsell@...> wrote:
The Windows 10 Device Manager is showing the Audio Codec on com4 and that is what I have selected on the WSJT-X set up. Clicking on the Audio Codec tab indicates a status of working. However, I will try other com ports and see if that has any effect. Thank you for the suggestions.
Sheldon KC1NDL

On Aug 3, 2022, at 12:43 PM, Lyle Giese <lyle@...> wrote:

Check power settings for the comm port you are using for rig control in Windows. Sometimes Windows will turn off the USB ports for power saving.

Not saying this is your problem. I have had problems with USB audio moving if I accidentally moved the USB cord from port A to port B if disconnecting for cleaning. In WSJT-X, check the audio ports to make sure they are set correctly pointing to the USB audio ports.

Lyle
KD9RCN

Lew Sayre

Sounds like the RX filters are narrowed down. After doing CW with narrow filters I have to always set the filters to wide open again if I want to get on FT8, otherwise all sorts of wierd things are shown on the screen and nothing works. FT8 does not like filtering on the audio RX.

David Herring

Sheldon,

The K4 provides 2 com ports on the USB interface which will register as COM ports in windows. The audio interface that the K4 provides on the USB interface should appear as an audio device in windows and is not in any way a COM port. Same interface and cable, but completely different virtual devices.

Go into Control Panel then Device Manager. The K4 audio device should appear as "USB AUDIO CODEC” under the “Audio Inputs and Outputs” section. The 2 COM ports should appear as COMx and COMy where x and y are numbers local to your specific case and they should be found under “Ports (COM & LPT)”

If this is not the case, then something is amiss in windows and that’s where to look next.

In WSJT-X, when selecting an audio device, you should NOT be selecting a COM port. It should be “USB AUDIO CODEC”

HTH…

73,
Dave - N5DCH

On August 3, 2022 8:31:16 PM CDT, Sheldon Apsell <sheldonapsell@... <mailto:sheldonapsell@...>> wrote:
The Windows 10 Device Manager is showing the Audio Codec on com4 and that is what I have selected on the WSJT-X set up. Clicking on the Audio Codec tab indicates a status of working. However, I will try other com ports and see if that has any effect. Thank you for the suggestions.
Sheldon KC1NDL

On Aug 3, 2022, at 12:43 PM, Lyle Giese <lyle@...> wrote:

Check power settings for the comm port you are using for rig control in Windows. Sometimes Windows will turn off the USB ports for power saving.

Not saying this is your problem. I have had problems with USB audio moving if I accidentally moved the USB cord from port A to port B if disconnecting for cleaning. In WSJT-X, check the audio ports to make sure they are set correctly pointing to the USB audio ports.

Lyle
KD9RCN

Reino Talarmo

Hi Sheldon,

I am not sure what you see on the waterfall, but could it be that Windows
has an update and it switched off security permission that WSJT-X can use
microphone (actually USB codec)? I think that it is called a privacy
setting.

73, Reino OH3mA