locked Meinberg disabled #Timesync

My Meinberg installation has been running well for a couple of years now. About a month ago, I found it was running. I went to Windows 10's Services and found it was disabled. I re-enabled it. It started and ran for a while ( I don't know how long), but then quit and was disabled again. Something is disabling Meinberg and a lot of other services. Right now I'm concerned Meinberg. I have had no luck discovering what is doing this. Can anyone help?

__________
Dan - K4SHQ
CFI/II

William Smith

Try a Malwarebytes scan?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 26, 2022, at 6:45 PM, Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

My Meinberg installation has been running well for a couple of years now. About a month ago, I found it was running. I went to Windows 10's Services and found it was disabled. I re-enabled it. It started and ran for a while ( I don't know how long), but then quit and was disabled again. Something is disabling Meinberg and a lot of other services. Right now I'm concerned Meinberg. I have had no luck discovering what is doing this. Can anyone help?

__________
Dan - K4SHQ
CFI/II

Neil Foster

Same here, it appears recent winders updates are the culprit. I just reinstalled Meinberg and all is well....Neil N4FN

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/07/2022 9:36 am, Neil Foster wrote:
Same here, it appears recent winders updates are the culprit. I just reinstalled Meinberg and all is well....Neil N4FN
Perhaps the Windows internal time sync service has become enabled after an update and that is shutting down Meinberg.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tim Dawson

Check and see if "Use internet time" has become checked in Whinders . . . If so, it will occupy the NTP, and cause NTP to fail . . . (Meinberg disables this on install, but you can also do it yourself . . . )

On July 26, 2022 7:51:41 PM EDT, "JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)" <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 27/07/2022 9:36 am, Neil Foster wrote:
Same here, it appears recent winders updates are the culprit. I just reinstalled Meinberg and all is well....Neil N4FN
Perhaps the Windows internal time sync service has become enabled after an update and that is shutting down Meinberg.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jeff Stillinger

That is normal following Microsoft updates.   Updates typically reset various system values back to defaults.  You may also find that your audio setting change following updates.

When a update is complete, you should always go through and check all of your settings.

The other option is to upgrade from a consumer version to Enterprise.   Updates are not as frequent on Enterprise and the system is inherently more stable.

--
Jeff Stillinger - KB6IBB
KB6IBB Laboratories, Wylie Tx

Tony Dixon G4CJC

I recently had a similar experience. My desktop is running W11 Insider Programme but doesn’t meet the minimum requirements. But negligible trouble so far.
A couple of weeks back I noticed that FT8 stations all seemed to have a DT of 0.9 or more. That was a sure warning that my time was wrong not everyone else’s. Sure enough Time.is showed my time 2.1 second fast. Checked Meinberg, it was there but not running. Uninstalled and re-installed and restarted the desktop. Failed with a message like “mbgsvctl.dll not found. A reinstall may cure this”. It didn’t.

My laptop, which has Meinberg on it (for no good reason) had perfect time to 0.001 second (allegedly). It too runs on W11 Insider Programme but does meet the minimum requirements.

Some digging found dkwin-3.14.exe, which is the current driver package. dkwin-3.14.exe also includes a set of kernel drivers specific for Windows 10, Windows Server 2016 and later. I ran that and it works. Time.is shows a difference of +0.005s. Meinberg monitor, MGBMON, is not there but what the heck it’s just a monitor.

Hope this helps someone
73
Tony G4CJC

Larry Bryan

Maybe off topic for this forum, but has anyone been successful in setting up the email notification settings. Mine worked several years ago but changes in SMTP servers rendered it useless. So if you have your notifications working, I would be happy to hear from you either here or direct. So far I have upgraded to Windows 11 and had several updates to that and Meinberg has not been affected here.

Larry
W8LIG

Michael Black

Notification from what software?  Neither Meinberg or WSJTX has email capability.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, July 27, 2022 at 11:24:18 AM CDT, Larry Bryan <larry@...> wrote:

Maybe off topic for this forum, but has anyone been successful in setting up the email notification settings. Mine worked several years ago but changes in SMTP servers rendered it useless. So if you have your notifications working, I would be happy to hear from you either here or direct. So far I have upgraded to Windows 11 and had several updates to that and Meinberg has not been affected here.

Larry
W8LIG

That my problem was probably started with a Win10 update does not surprise me. However what is puzzling is that if open up services, and restart NTP, it will run for a while, get Windows in time according to time.is, and then it's disabled again. If I look at NTP service "Properties", I have those set to automatically restart if the service fails. No help. A search of Windows Event yields no help I can find.

BTW all of my ham related stuff works fine except for NTP. My audio settings are working fine.

I'm on the verge of wiping Win10 and reinstalling. Not just for NTP but I a number of other problems. For instance I have several Access databases. Double clicking a database brings up Access, and it reports it can't open my database file for security reasons. No options given except to close. If I open Access first, it opens my database file no sweat. I have reinstalled Office 365 but no help. I'm NOT asking for help on the Access problem as it out of scope for this forum. I offer it as an example of OS issues I'm having. The problem computer does not meet Win11 specs but normally runs just fine with Win10.

__________
Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II

[...]

Bruce N7XGR

Dan, If you have admin rights then open Administrative Tools then
click on Services and scroll down to, Windows Time.
Double click on that and select in the dropdown Disabled and click Apply.
Reboot then check to see if the NTP program stays running.

Bruce N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Moore <wd4hxg@...>

Dan

One thing I have noticed is there are times when a selected NTP Server simply seems to vanish
for a period of time. I stumbled on to that phenomena by accident when trying to manually sync
the desktop real time clock to the remote server and Windows came back after about 45 seconds
to report, "Failure". You can ping an NTP Server like time.nist.gov. When I noticed that manual
syncing was failing I pinged the time server selected for Windows. (It was 'time.windows.com')
I was surprised to see the ping failure notice returned. At that point I pinged time.nist.gov
and each ping was returned in a matter of milliseconds, So I am confident that the route to the
Window's NTP server was blocked. Why? I have no clue, but i simply could not obtain a response.
A couple of days later, the desktop clock wandered off in the weeds again. After trying to sync
it using Window's Adjust Date & Time and it reporting, "Failure' again, I tried pinging the
NTP Server time.nist.gov. Behold, the pings were reported as failing.

That lead me to identifying other NTP Servers. One NTP Server that seems much more
available to me is 'time.apple.com'.

Just as a sanity check on my end and to make sure my memory was not creating another
hallucination I just ran a ping on each of:
time.nist.gov
time.windows.com
time.apple.com

An interesting side note of this test was that NIST ping responses had the shortest
response time for me. While Apple and Windows historically display ping response
times of 100 to 200 milliseconds, NIST came in under 50 milliseconds every time.
they respond to a ping. Go figure.

Of the three pinged NTP servers, the Windows server did not respond for this most
recent test. Frankly that does not give me a warm fuzzy about using Internet NTP
servers when expecting a high level of service. So I am pulling the pieces together
to build my own NTP Server using a Raspberry PI and a GPS Receiver. Running that
lashup I should be able to create a Stratum 1 timeserver for the shack and keep my
local pc clocks within a few milliseconds of NIST as opposed to the varying 50 to 1000
milliseconds currently encountered.

Windows also seems to be biting back in this fracus with NTP Servers. If you open
service.msc and scroll down to 'Windows Time', double click it. Then in the popup
window that opens, click on the "Recovery" tab. I believe that the "Recovery" tab may
be a revelation for you.

Regards

Chuck WD4HXG

Thanks Chuck,
Last year I built a Raspberry Pi NTP time server that syncs with GPS satellites. Actually I built 2. Those are my primary time sync sources and they worked very well until about a month ago. I also have a couple of NIST sources listed as backup. Because they are local and stable my two Rpi's get selected by Meinberg because they are close and the most jitter free. Meinberg lists them as Stratum 1 time sources.
Windows time Recovery has the same selections I have set up for NTP time server. Windows time is also disabled, but that's my doing. I don't want interference with Meinberg's NTP.

__________
Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II

[...]

Thank you!
I will try that after a bit. I have some work I have to do at the moments.

__________
Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II

Dan, If you have admin rights then open Administrative Tools then
click on Services and scroll down to, Windows Time.
Double click on that and select in the dropdown Disabled and click Apply.
Reboot then check to see if the NTP program stays running.

Bruce N7XGR

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...<mailto:K4SHQ@...>> wrote:
That my problem was probably started with a Win10 update does not surprise me. However what is puzzling is that if open up services, and restart NTP, it will run for a while, get Windows in time according to time.is<http://time.is>, and then it's disabled again. If I look at NTP service "Properties", I have those set to automatically restart if the service fails. No help. A search of Windows Event yields no help I can find.

[...]

I've had good luck with time.cloudflare.com aka 162.159.200.123 or 162.159.200.1 (I'm sticking with the last one, as it seems to give better results, and numeric IPs which don't fail when DNS fails to resolve. Note that this will not work for things like pool.ntp.org).

I built two (currently only using one after moving one QTH and haven't set the other one back up) RPi-based NTP servers that monitor their location and time variance from each other and time.cloudflare.com, and they've been pretty stable.

Your Milage Will vary.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 27, 2022, at 2:19 PM, Chuck Moore via groups.io <wd4hxg@...> wrote:

time.nist.gov
time.windows.com
time.apple.com

Ron Schunk

Huuuummmm, just as a side note, I steadfastly refuse to update
Windows...I"m running 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop...everything is
working fine, (except for my FT857, which is NOT a Windoze problem)...I've
turned off the 'auto' update feature as well a long time ago.....seems like
every time something gets 'updated' everything goes to h.e.l.l...🤗
Ron
WA8KWF

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 2:36 PM Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

[...]

Meinberg does have email notification if you have the Meinberg NTP Time Server Monitor program installed. Let's you know by email when the program goes down, Stratum level is too high and so forth.

Larry
W8LIG

Tim Dawson

Again, check if Windows has "use Internet time" enabled. If it does, it will periodically run it's own time process which will interfere with Meinberg. Looking at the output of netstat, and what process has the NTP port open when you alter this parameter makes this a clear and inarguable point, and only one process can use a port at a timr.

On July 27, 2022 1:34:46 PM EDT, Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:
[...]

I use both gmail.com and outlook.com. Both require encryption. Meinberg doesn't provide that and fails to send a message.

Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II

Meinberg does have email notification if you have the Meinberg NTP Time Server Monitor program installed. Let's you know by email when the program goes down, Stratum level is too high and so forth.

Larry
W8LIG

Okay Tim, perhaps I am a bit slow here. Where is "use internet time". The Win10 service named "Windows Time" is disabled. I agree that only one service can occupy a port at a time. Meinberg has been running for more than a year without a hitch until about a month ago. NTP port should be 123. I'm a neophyte with netstat but not with command line. Netstat gives me a lot of information, but so far I've found nothing using port 123.

Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II