locked WSPR runs into an error and then quits WSJTX - Advice Please #WSPR

Ray King G0VSS

Hi All
I have been running WSJTX for a year or so without a problem and I decided to try out WSPR.
I am using version 2.2.2 0d9b96 - and yes I know its an old version but I am fairly sure this is not the cause.

I have installed this from another computer to a newer computer and I copied across the files as per the instructions for moving WSJTX to a new computer.

When I run WSPR the error comes up saying that it cannot find a file location to save some files - the location it mentions is from my old computer. So I need to somehow change the file location to the new location. I assume this is the problem. I have attached images of the error reports in the sequence that they occur.

I just need to correct this error and then I can update to a newer version of WSJTX (please suggest latest stable version) - I am concerned that updating the current installation may throw up additional errors !

I have copied the text of the error as follows:
'Running: C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsprd -C 500 -o 4 -d -a C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\WSJT-X -f 50.293000 "C:/Users/Ray Red/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save/220704_2126.wav"
Cannot open data file 'C:/Users/Ray Red/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save/220704_2126.wav'

"Ray Red" is my old laptop computer where WSJTX was running previously - I had not used WSPR prior to installing on my new current pc.

I have had a search on prior posts for this problem but have not found anything which solves the problem.
I hope you can help

Thanks
Ray
G0VSS

Alan G4ZFQ

I have installed this from another computer to a newer computer and I copied across the files as per the instructions for moving WSJTX to a new computer.
I have had a search on prior posts for this problem but have not found anything which solves the problem.
Ray,

The easy way is to install WSJT-X properly. Then all the locations are created and you are running in minutes.

Where did you get your instructions? Unless I misunderstand what you are doing it is very difficult to get a program running without using an installation program.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Karza

H Ray,

[...]

The current stable version is 2.5.4 but v 2.6.0 will probably be released soon so you might want to wait for that to avoid multiple upgrades.
I have copied the text of the error as follows:
'Running: C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsprd -C 500 -o 4 -d -a C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\WSJT-X -f 50.293000 "C:/Users/Ray Red/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save/220704_2126.wav"
Cannot open data file 'C:/Users/Ray Red/AppData/Local/WSJT-X/save/220704_2126.wav'

"Ray Red" is my old laptop computer where WSJTX was running previously - I had not used WSPR prior to installing on my new current pc.
Go to File => Settings => Audio tab and change "Save Directory" to

C:\Users\james\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\save

I have had a search on prior posts for this problem but have not found anything which solves the problem.
I hope you can help

Thanks
Ray
G0VSS
73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Ray King G0VSS

Hi Alan
Thanks for your reply, well I did the install on the new pc and then copied across the relevant files as in:
“For WSJT-X, you will need to copy the following files, which are located at: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\WSJT-X. Copy them to the same directory in the new machine.”
So I think that was ok
Thanks
Ray

Ray King G0VSS

Hi Kari
Thanks for your reply - I will do that and see if that solves the issue. I will get back to you
Thanks very much
73
Ray G0VSS

Ray King G0VSS

Hi Kari
I have updated to 2.5.4 without any issues.
I am I have been running WSPR mode for about an hour and all seems to be working fine and have checked on WSPRnet and have carried out a search on my call and I see it there.
So all sorted now
Thanks very much for all your help, you have been very kind to spend your time to assist in resolving my questions.
I hope to meet you on the band in the future
73
GL
RAY
G0vss

On 6 Jul 2022, at 09:27, Ray King <r.r.king@...> wrote:

Hi Kari

Thanks for finding this - I will do as you suggest later today and get back to you.
I really very much appreciate your help and advice on this error.

73
Ray G0vss

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 Jul 2022, at 08:58, Kari Sillanmäki <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:

Ray, I think I managed to Google what's going wrong..

See this old message:

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/message/13237

It is a bug in WSJT-X 2.2.2 !
( I should have remebered that... )

So, I suggest that you upgrade WSJT-X to the latest stable version 2.5.4.
If you want to reply to the group you can do so by adding
"main@WSJTX.groups.io" as a recipient.

BR & 73 de Kari

On 6.7.2022 9.29, Ray King wrote:
Hi Kari
Thanks for your reply
I do not have the “Tune” box’s checked and I have not used WSPR mode previously on my old pc. Does this mean I need to create command lines to make this work ?
How would I reply to group as well as to you and ensure I get our conversation included ?

Thanks for taking the time to help

Ray

Sent from my iPhone

On 6 Jul 2022, at 06:24, Kari Sillanmäki <kari.sillanmaki@...> wrote:

Hi Ray,

Do you have "Tune" box checek in your band hopping schedule?
sf1XLRmAu7ggmDnS.png
If so, then you must have a command file named "user_hardware" that
contains commands to perform the tune operation.
See this...
https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.4.html#_band_hopping
..for details

Perhaps you had "user_hardware" on your old computer but did not
copy that over to the new one?
( The file might have ".bat" extension on it, I'm not sure because I don't use Windows )

If no tuning is required upon band change then uncheck "Tune" in the schedule ( if checked ).

'Kari

P.S, It might be a good idea to reply to the group as well.
You may get more and/or better answers...

On 6.7.2022 1.06, Ray King wrote:
Hi Kari

I have done that change to the file location and there was another one in the audio tab which was AzEI directory.

So I got the decoding working. Then I set up the schedule for band hopping and clicked the "TXnext" to set the tx going.

I got another error as follows:
"subprocess error
Running:c:
\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\user_hardware 40 Process failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified."
Then it closed WSJTX

So I thought it may be to do with the TX, so opened it again and set enable transmit - it worked on 20 as I could see the tx indicator on the radio.

But then it went into error again with the following message:

subprocess error
Running:c:
\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\user_hardware 20 Process failed to start: The system cannot find the file specified.

So it looks like its something to do with the band hopping and the TX instruction ?

What do you think ?

Do I need to reply to the group or is it OK just to reply direct to you ?

Thanks
Ray

On 5/7/22 15:15, Ray King wrote:
Hi Kari
That’s great thanks for the info. I will be doing that save file this evening and will let you know how it goes
Thanks and 73
Ray G0VSS

Sent from my iPhone