locked Test CAT - Button stays white, no error messages #Cat_RigControl

Mike Ward

WSJT-X (running on Linux) running with my KX3 receives and decodes FT8 fine but no transmissions ever show up on PSKREPORTER. WSJT-X can change bands and follows the frequency if I manually change it. When transmitting I see my radio's TX light come on and the RF indicator shows that it's transmitting. To troubleshoot I ran Test CAT but the button never changes to green or red, I don't see an error message but the Test PTT button then becomes enabled. If I click the Test PTT button, it turns red as I would expect. I plugged some earbuds into the serial line feeding the microphone and I hear a carrier tone and what sounds like the digital transmission during the transmit phase. The radio and external USB adapter works great with WSJT-X running on an older system.

Does the Test CAT feature require that the audio output is properly configured? Any ideas?

William Smith

On Jun 18, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

WSJT-X (running on Linux) running with my KX3 receives and decodes FT8 fine but no transmissions ever show up on PSKREPORTER. WSJT-X can change bands and follows the frequency if I manually change it. When transmitting I see my radio's TX light come on and the RF indicator shows that it's transmitting.
So your "RF indicator" shows you are putting out power? How much, compared to the rating of your rig?

To troubleshoot I ran Test CAT but the button never changes to green or red, I don't see an error message but the Test PTT button then becomes enabled.
I've seen that in older versions of WSJT-x, what version are you running?

If I click the Test PTT button, it turns red as I would expect. I plugged some earbuds into the serial line feeding the microphone and I hear a carrier tone and what sounds like the digital transmission during the transmit phase. The radio and external USB adapter works great with WSJT-X running on an older system.
You need to give us a few more hints, like computer, radio, adapters and interconnects, settings, etc.

Does the Test CAT feature require that the audio output is properly configured? Any ideas?
No, CAT test will work without audio, and PTT test will not generate any audio, so there will be no output power. The 'TUNE' button should generate audio, so you get some output power.

Ideas are hard without more details. Your time must be close enough to http://time.is <http://time.is/> if you are decoding. Can't imagine your receiver is in USB and your transmitter is in LSB, so that's probably right. If you have everything hooked up right (and if it works with another computer, then that's likely) then it's probably levels, or your computer (Windows?) has 'audio processing' (usually echo cancellation, but could be anything) turned on, which plays havoc with digital signals. Modern Windows machines apparently need 'permissions' set rght to allow use of the 'microphone', which is your transmit audio. Dunno, just guessing, brainstorming, shotgunning without more details.

73, Willie N1JBJ

Mike Ward

William Smith and Dave Garber,

Thanks to both of you for your help. I usually can solve most technical issues since it's what I did for a living over 35 years but this has me stumped.

Here are answers to questions: THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR IDEAS!

Mike Ward, KE0KAC

On 6/19/22 04:55, William Smith wrote:
On Jun 18, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

WSJT-X (running on Linux) running with my KX3 receives and decodes FT8 fine but no transmissions ever show up on PSKREPORTER. WSJT-X can change bands and follows the frequency if I manually change it. When transmitting I see my radio's TX light come on and the RF indicator shows that it's transmitting.
So your "RF indicator" shows you are putting out power? How much, compared to the rating of your rig?
I have set my Elecraft KX3 to output 10 watts. The SWR shown on the radio is about 1.1 - 1
and the RF indicator shows 10 so I believe I'm transmitting the 10 watts on 14.074 MHz.
I held a small SW transistor radio tuned for it's 19M band next to coax feeding the antenna and I
hear static until tWSJT-X transmits and then I hear complete silence. Seems like it's transmitting...
15 watts is the highest I can go but that too doesn't seem to work either.
To troubleshoot I ran Test CAT but the button never changes to green or red, I don't see an error message but the Test PTT button then becomes enabled.
I've seen that in older versions of WSJT-x, what version are you running?
I'm running WSJT-X version 2.5.4 which I recently installed on the failing laptop.
I also a recently installed HAMlib
The rigctl -V command returns "rigctl Hamlib 4.4 Thu Dec 02 23:46:51 2021 +0000 SHA=5f8c4c"
Interestingly, the rigctl -V command on the working Linux Mint 19.3 laptop shows "rigctl not found"
That older laptop has fldigi v4.0.1 and flrig v1.3.26 installed.
Is it possible that WSJT-X is using flrig to control my radio on the older laptop?
If I click the Test PTT button, it turns red as I would expect. I plugged some earbuds into the serial line feeding the microphone and I hear a carrier tone and what sounds like the digital transmission during the transmit phase. The radio and external USB adapter works great with WSJT-X running on an older system.
You need to give us a few more hints, like computer, radio, adapters and interconnects, settings, etc.
I am running Linux Mint 20.3 on a Lenovo P53 workstation laptop with an i7 CPU.
The Elecraft KX3 connects via two 2.5mm sound cables out of an external Sabrent USB sound adapter.
The Sabrent adapter connects toa USB hub that is connected to the failing laptop.
The USB to Serial cable connecting the hub to the radio is one supplied by Elecraft.
The Sabrent adapter, cables, and Radio work fine on the older laptop.
I only disconnect the USB-Serial from the working laptop and connect it to the failing laptop. Nothing else changes.
Does the Test CAT feature require that the audio output is properly configured? Any ideas?
No, CAT test will work without audio, and PTT test will not generate any audio, so there will be no output power. The 'TUNE' button should generate audio, so you get some output power.
I do see RF output on the radio's meter when I run the tune function.
Ideas are hard without more details. Your time must be close enough to http://time.is <http://time.is/> if you are decoding. Can't imagine your receiver is in USB and your transmitter is in LSB, so that's probably right. If you have everything hooked up right (and if it works with another computer, then that's likely) then it's probably levels, or your computer (Windows?) has 'audio processing' (usually echo cancellation, but could be anything) turned on, which plays havoc with digital signals. Modern Windows machines apparently need 'permissions' set rght to allow use of the 'microphone', which is your transmit audio. Dunno, just guessing, brainstorming, shotgunning without more details.
I have the radio set to Data A mode which is USB which disables compression and RX/TX EQ.
I do sync time. http://time.is states that the time is exact on the failing laptop.
I don't have an equalizer app installed on the new laptop but I could install one just to confirm that the audio is flat.
73, Willie N1JBJ
FROM GARBER:
Is the usb adapter controlling a sound card interface or just to a cat
control. It sounds you have not selected a correct sound in and output
for the new install

sent by ve3wej on lg phone

I'm fairly sure I've selected the correct sound in and out devices.
WSJT-X decodes many streams of FT8 transmissions so I think sound in is set correctly.
When WSJT-X transmits I see the output device volume control fluctuate so I think sound out is set correctly.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Are you showing the standard Elecraft 4 bars with 5th flickering under ALC??

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/21/2022 11:08 AM, Mike Ward wrote:
[...]

Yes, I carefully set the mic adjustment to show the flickering 5th bar.

I had a look at wsjtx_syslog.log and set the following errors which appear to be logged once a minute.

[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:10.602969][01:12:58.859075][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:11.610320][01:12:59.866426][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:12.601723][01:13:00.857830][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:13.608646][01:13:01.864752][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:14.600119][01:13:02.856225][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:15.607600][01:13:03.863707][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:16.599185][01:13:04.855291][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:17.606492][01:13:05.862598][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:18.613792][01:13:06.869899][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None
[RIGCTRL][2022-06-18 19:46:19.605377][01:13:07.861484][warning] kenwood_get_split_vfo_if(1582): unknown rxVFO=None

The errors mention kenwood but my radio is an Elecraft KX3. I have configured WSJT-X for Rig: Elecraft KX3.

Mike, KE0KAC

Michael Black

New hamlib for installation directions

#1 Shut down WSJTX/JTDX
#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX/JTDX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.

If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in \WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.

http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll

Linux/Unix/Mac users need to compile the latest tar file from http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/\
Note: If compiling on Unix-like systems please uninstall any Hamlib package you have before installing the new build

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.

If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk

If you still see these warnings.....
Please place this file as described below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t52ngcalsgnpm8m/wsjtx_log_config.ini?dl=0

    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\WSJT-X
    The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be in the same location

For Linux put it in
    ~/.config
    The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be here:
    ~/.local/share/WSJT-X

Restart WSJT-X and duplicate the problem.
Shut down WSJT-X

Then send me the WSJT-X_RigControl.log file

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 11:55:11 AM CDT, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

[...]

Hmm, lots of info here, not sure how much I can help, but a few observations:

On Jun 21, 2022, at 12:08 PM, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

On 6/19/22 04:55, William Smith wrote:
On Jun 18, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

WSJT-X (running on Linux) running with my KX3 receives and decodes FT8 fine but no transmissions ever show up on PSKREPORTER. WSJT-X can change bands and follows the frequency if I manually change it. When transmitting I see my radio's TX light come on and the RF indicator shows that it's transmitting.
So your "RF indicator" shows you are putting out power? How much, compared to the rating of your rig?
I have set my Elecraft KX3 to output 10 watts. The SWR shown on the radio is about 1.1 - 1
and the RF indicator shows 10 so I believe I'm transmitting the 10 watts on 14.074 MHz
Sounds like it, so (and if your ALC is set as below, it sounds like you are doing the right thing there.

I held a small SW transistor radio tuned for it's 19M band next to coax feeding the antenna and I
hear static until tWSJT-X transmits and then I hear complete silence.
Unless your small SW transistor radi is receiving USB at exactly 14.074 MHz, you may not hear anything, so I suspect that's a red herring.

I'd upgrade hamlib as per Mike W9MDB's instructions and see if that helps.

I don't have an equalizer app installed on the new laptop but I could install one just to confirm that the audio is flat.
I don't know if Linux is as helpful as Windows by adding equalization and echo cancellation, but you should be able to determine if that's the case.

When WSJT-X transmits I see the output device volume control fluctuate so I think sound out is set correctly.
Wait, what's flucuating? Everything should be constant output, constant power, single tone from the 8 available, etc. If you can hear it, it's a distrinctive warble, look online for sample sounds.

73, Willie N1JBJ

Dennis W1UE

Mike

I think at this point you need to verify that you are actually transmitting
an FT8 signal. You have a nearby buddy that can get on and verify your
signal? Or a second radio that will tune to the FT8 freq where you can
hear the actual tones? It almost sounds like you aren’t transmitting the
FT8 tones.

Dennis W1UE

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 09:55 Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim Dawson

Unless I am mixing messages in my head, the Hamlib error looked like you were using split? If so, is the *second* VFO also set for USB? If not, you may be transmitting LSB, or ??? which will not be heard. As a test (and if you are running split), try setting split to "None" and retest . . . that way, if you are decoding, you know that the mode is set correctly, and can work the issue from there.

On June 21, 2022 12:33:49 PM CDT, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:
[...]

Willie, N1JBJ

To my knowledge Linux Mint does not inject any eq, echo, etc in the standard install and I haven't installed anything like that.  I was dead wrong when I said the software volume display fluctuates during the tx phase.  It's solid and doesn't not fluctuate throughout the entire transmission.  I updated hamlib, it still failed, and I sent  the rig control log from that failing session to Mike Black.

I really do appreciate your thoughts on my conundrum.

Mike, KE0KAC

On 6/21/22 12:33, William Smith wrote:
[...]

Tim, I haven't set the radio in split mode.  For a test I tried setting it to split and made sure both VFO's were set to the same frequency.  WSJT-X still decoded and in fact would decode even as I switched back and forth between VFO's. Alas, TX still failed in that config.

At this point I'm led to believe that either I'm not sending ft8 or if I am it's something like a USB/LSB or frequency issue.  I'll see if Mike Black sees anything or not. Maybe I'm stuck using the older laptop for WSJT-X.

Mike, KE0KAC

On 6/21/22 13:42, Tim Dawson wrote:
[...]

When you say "TX still failed" what does that mean?  No power out?  Or power out but nobody answering you?
I show you being spotted 18 hours ago so you apparently got TX working for a while.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 05:29:49 PM CDT, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,

I installed hamlib 4.5 and the wsjtx_log_config file, attempted to make an ft8 connection but it still fails.  I'm attaching the rig control log.  Thanks!!!

I'm new to the Groups application so I'm learning how to communicate and attach files.  Hopes this works.

Mike Ward, KE0KAC

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.

[...]

Mike Black,

I believe the spots you see are when the radio was connected to my older laptop.  I've attached a diagram of how I have things physically configured.  To move between the old and new laptop is a matter of moving the cable connected to the USB hub's host port.  I've attached a diagram.

The failure is always the same - when I move the hub's host cable to the new laptop, I can see that I'm transmitting the full 10 watts which I've configured the radio for but nobody answers and PSKReporter never shows that any stations have spotted my transmissions.  When I connect the hub's host cable to the old laptop and run WSJT-X, many stations spot my transmissions and I complete QSO's.

When the storms in my area have moved out, I think I'll try a different mode besides FT8.  I think I'll also install fldigi and see how it does.  I might send some cw as well.  I'll report  my findings.

Thanks again Mike!  By the way, I don't want anyone to spend an inordinate amount of time on this, I can continue to use the old laptop.

Mike, KE0KAC

On 6/21/22 17:33, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Have you checked your time?
http://time.is
Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, June 22, 2022, 12:23:27 AM CDT, Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

[...]

http

[...]

Well, Mike Black, W9MDB, looked my system over today and recommended replacing the $10 external USB sound card with something more configurable such as a SignaLink. The current sound adapter is over driving the MIC port on my KX3. I appreciate the help from everyone and especially want to thank Mike for connecting to the system today and troubleshooting.

I'll call this request closed. Thanks...

Dennis W1UE

Mike
If overdriving is the issue, 3 resistors can create a 20db audio
attenuator. That may be all you need.

Dennis W1UE

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 22:57 Mike Ward <woooe48mmex991@...> wrote:

Well, Mike Black, W9MDB, looked my system over today and recommended
replacing the $10 external USB sound card with something more configurable
such as a SignaLink. The current sound adapter is over driving the MIC
port on my KX3. I appreciate the help from everyone and especially want to
thank Mike for connecting to the system today and troubleshooting.

I'll call this request closed. Thanks...

Michael Black

To add some context to this he has a sound card speaker jacked plugged into a MIC jack.  So, very easy to overdrive things  (MIC input expecting -60 to -40dBu, line level -10dBu, and speaker level +4dBu).  This is a common reason that operators generate harmonics on rigs that have audio plugged into the mic jack.
The same sound card works fine on his other computer (which I believe is Windows).On the new laptop (Linuix with pulse audio) the signal shows 100Hz wide indicating that it is clipped.  The SignaLink will provide analog control of the audio level which should work on both of his systems.
Mike W9MDB