locked FT-991a-Signalink-serial cable setup - Again #Yaesu

Rick Hatton

Ft-991a
Opesnsuse Linux 15.3
Wsjt-x 2.5.4 (latest in repository)

I am again trying to get my 991A working with a serial cable and signalink.
I have CAT working.
I can receive and decode with wsjtx.
I have PTT - MOL - the Signalink PTT light lights, the 991a transmit light lights.. no power out.
Has anyone gotten this working? I have fldigi working.

As for the 991a's USB port... there are often problems using it with another external sound card in the system.

Joe Subich, W4TV

Is the FT-991A Menu 070 DATA IN Select set to REAR?
Is the FT-991A Menu 072 DATA PORT Select set to DATA?

What cable are you using to connect Signalink to the
FT-991a?

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-06-17 9:05 PM, Rick Hatton wrote:
Ft-991a
Opesnsuse Linux 15.3
Wsjt-x 2.5.4 (latest in repository)
I am again trying to get my 991A working with a serial cable and signalink.
I have CAT working.
I can receive and decode with wsjtx.
I have PTT - MOL - the Signalink PTT light lights, the 991a transmit light lights.. no power out.
Has anyone gotten this working? I have fldigi working.
As for the 991a's USB port... there are often problems using it with another external sound card in the system.

Tim Dawson

Have you checked for notes on this radio at Tigertronics? They are generally very good at providing setup information for the Signallink.

On June 17, 2022 8:05:14 PM CDT, Rick Hatton <doxieguy.71@...> wrote:
Ft-991a
Opesnsuse Linux 15.3
Wsjt-x 2.5.4 (latest in repository)

I am again trying to get my 991A working with a serial cable and signalink.
I have CAT working.
I can receive and decode with wsjtx.
I have PTT - MOL - the Signalink PTT light lights, the 991a transmit light lights.. no power out.
Has anyone gotten this working? I have fldigi working.

As for the 991a's USB port... there are often problems using it with another external sound card in the system.

Ron

Have you tried contacting Tigertronics on this issue.
Sounds like a Signalink issue or radio issue, not really a WSJT-X issue.

Good luck.

Ron - KJ5XX

Panos

Hi, Signalink works with its own usb cable. Try to disconnect cat and work only with Signalink (vox ptt). If problem insist compare the settings of your 991 with another working with wsjt-x already 991, maybe this helps 73

Ronnie Hull - W5SUM

I didn’t use any interface at all with my 991A!! Just a usb cable! Worked great using wsjt-x

On Jun 21, 2022, at 6:04 AM, Panos <sv1grn@...> wrote:

Hi, Signalink works with its own usb cable. Try to disconnect cat and work only with Signalink (vox ptt). If problem insist compare the settings of your 991 with another working with wsjt-x already 991, maybe this helps 73

Keith

For what it's worth, I agree. Using a SignaLink to use an FT991A is like
driving a Tesla a la Fred Flintstone.

If you're having issues sorting out multiple sound cards, suggest Pulse
Audio Volume Control to solve the problem...

I did have an issue with RF on the USB line between the computer and the
rig, but a USB optoisolator solved the problem.

Full CAT control makes operating so much more interesting...Flrig controls
the radio and wsjt-x, fldigi, and qsstv all talk to flrig, concurrently.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022, 8:24 AM Ronnie Hull <w5sum@...> wrote:

I didn’t use any interface at all with my 991A!! Just a usb cable! Worked
great using wsjt-x
On Jun 21, 2022, at 6:04 AM, Panos <sv1grn@...> wrote:

Hi, Signalink works with its own usb cable. Try to disconnect cat and
work only with Signalink (vox ptt). If problem insist compare the settings
of your 991 with another working with wsjt-x already 991, maybe this helps
73

Tim Dawson

But then again, if it works, it's not wrong . . . and not every mfg. supports advanced platforms like Linux . . .

On June 21, 2022 3:13:14 PM CDT, Keith <geek4096@...> wrote:
[...]

Never said it was wrong, Tim.  Just not the optimal solution.  And, not sure what you meant by the Linux comment....I'm using Uubntu, Mint, Raspian, and Windoze.  All of these work well with the (free) and very nice FLdigi suite of programs and, specifically, the FT991a.  Winlink / Vara HF work great with the FT991a in CAT control as does PAT and others.

I think any of these devices that encourage folks to ham it up on the digital modes is a really good thing.  Hope to catch you on the air sometime.

73
Keith/KI5US

On 6/21/22 16:19, Tim Dawson wrote:
[...]

What I meant was that a lot of companies only provide Whinderp drivers, leaving Linux users out in the cold. (I have no idea what Yaesu did, since I don't own a radio with native USB . . .) Signallink works on anything . . . that may or may not be the case with other solutions (as in radios and required driver, *NOT* applications . . .) . . .

On June 21, 2022 4:49:38 PM CDT, Keith <geek4096@...> wrote:

[...]

Rick
Did you get an answer to your question?  I have a functional 991a setup here and would be happy to share any info I have to help you.
73
Keith/KI5US

On 6/17/22 21:05, Rick Hatton wrote:
Ft-991a
Opesnsuse Linux 15.3
Wsjt-x 2.5.4 (latest in repository)

I am again trying to get my 991A working with a serial cable and signalink.
I have CAT working.
I can receive and decode with wsjtx.
I have PTT - MOL - the Signalink PTT light lights, the 991a transmit light lights.. no power out.
Has anyone gotten this working? I have fldigi working.

As for the 991a's USB port... there are often problems using it with another external sound card in the system.

Richard ORourke

Yes , but as I go farther in the build process I’m running compatibility
issues with the fftw3 libraries

This is Fedora 36 and WSJTX 2.6.0 problem building from source.

A real bear to config but thanks for any help you can give me

W0EWN

--
Install# Fedora 36 provides boost-devel-1.76.0-11.fc36.i686,
wsjtx asking for boost0devel-1.71

error:
Problem: conflicting requests
- nothing provides libboost_filesystem.so.1.71.0()(64bit) needed by wsjtx-2.6.0_rc1-1.x86_64
- nothing provides libboost_log.so.1.71.0()(64bit) needed by wsjtx-2.6.0_rc1-1.x86_64
- nothing provides libboost_log_setup.so.1.71.0()(64bit) needed by wsjtx-2.6.0_rc1-1.x86_64
- nothing provides libboost_thread.so.1.71.0()(64bit) needed by wsjtx-2.6.0_rc1-1.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

Brian Morrison

On Thu, 23 Jun 2022 19:21:54 -0600
"Richard ORourke" <rickorourke@...> wrote:

This is Fedora 36 and WSJTX 2.6.0 problem building from source.

A real bear to config but thanks for any help you can give me
If you can get set up for building from a .spec file using rpmbuild
and/or mock then it will be a lot easier. The .spec file contains all
the BuildRequires: and Requires: statements so you know which packages
you need to install.

All I need to do is to download the tarball, put it in the correct
directory with another file that comes with the previous wsjtx source
rpm and run rpmbuild after editing the version in the spec file.

--

Brian G8SEZ

Williams, G (af8c)

This is a way down the thread to add stuff now.

Two Signalinks. One is audio cabling only, like RCA cables and plugs maybe.  I have the one with USB on the computer end and audio plugs on the other end, not USB to USB.  Years ago I had trouble with that Signalink cable combination due to RFI getting in the audio side of the cabling. Required ferrite beads.  In those days the beam was on a tower next to the house, essentially directly over the shack.

Also the jumpers inside the Signalink are a bit tricky, if you have them.  Make sure you can see they are fully seated.

I always say,  though maybe my advice is not 100% of the solution, is to make sure you can transmit on PSK and RTTY  (like MMTTY) so you understand that the audio works there.  THEN connect up to WSJT-X.  Sometimes it would be useful to get some kind of audiofile equipment and actually haywire a connection to the transmit signal out of the Signalink and see if you can get a sound or VU meter confirmation.

--73, Glenn, AF8C

On 6/17/2022 9:05 PM, Rick Hatton via groups.io wrote:
Ft-991a
Opesnsuse Linux 15.3
Wsjt-x 2.5.4 (latest in repository)

I am again trying to get my 991A working with a serial cable and signalink.
I have CAT working.
I can receive and decode with wsjtx.
I have PTT - MOL - the Signalink PTT light lights, the 991a transmit light lights.. no power out.
Has anyone gotten this working? I have fldigi working.

As for the 991a's USB port... there are often problems using it with another external sound card in the system.

Tim Dawson

As a suggestion on Signallink internal jumpers, if you solder them to a DIP header (as Tigertronics does), it becomes almost impossible to not have them seated, and if you need to support more than one rig, it's trivial to change config (and harder to screw up).