locked Lost audio #AudioIssues

Phil Cooper

Hi all,

I have noticed that I am losing the incoming text text on numerous occasions.
For example, I call CQ, but after hearing many signals, I get no decodes.

I am using an IC7800, microHam MKII, and WSJTx v2.5.4 and this also happens when using JTAlert.

Just out of curiosity, I tried JTDX, and notice the same issue.
The PC has been rebooted (both restarted and full shutdown and restart) on several occasions.

Anyone got any pointers as to where I should start looking to try and track this down?

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Chuck Gelm

" after hearing many signals, I get no decodes."
Rephrase:
"after seeing many signals on the waterfall, I get no decodes" ?

Received audio thermometer level ~30 dB and color green?
Delta time < 2 seconds. Majority of stations decoded should be +/- 0.2 seconds.
?
Chuck

Karza

Phil,

Check using https://time.is that your time is exact.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

On 14.6.2022 13.59, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed that I am losing the incoming text text on numerous occasions.
For example, I call CQ, but after hearing many signals, I get no decodes.

I am using an IC7800, microHam MKII, and WSJTx v2.5.4 and this also happens when using JTAlert.

Just out of curiosity, I tried JTDX, and notice the same issue.
The PC has been rebooted (both restarted and full shutdown and restart) on several occasions.

Anyone got any pointers as to where I should start looking to try and track this down?

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Phil Cooper

Hi to Kari and Chuck,

The time is correct... I am using Dimension4 and keep an eye on it and check that the clock is good.

The received audio thermometer is showing good levels, but I occasionally just don't get a decode.

73 de Phil GU0SUP

On 14.6.2022 13.59, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed that I am losing the incoming text text on numerous occasions.
For example, I call CQ, but after hearing many signals, I get no decodes.

I am using an IC7800, microHam MKII, and WSJTx v2.5.4 and this also happens when using JTAlert.

Just out of curiosity, I tried JTDX, and notice the same issue.
The PC has been rebooted (both restarted and full shutdown and restart) on several occasions.

Anyone got any pointers as to where I should start looking to try and track this down?

73 de Phil GU0SUP

William Smith

So after transmitting, you no longer decode, or are you never getting any decodes?

If you never get decodes, check your time (which you say you've done), confirm the rig is in UPPER SIDE BAND mode, and send u s a picture of your waterfall.

If you stop decoding after transmitting, then it's more than likely RFI getting into your sound card and/or computer.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jun 14, 2022, at 6:59 AM, Phil Cooper via groups.io <pcooper@...> wrote:

I call CQ, but after hearing many signals, I get no decodes.

Tom V. Segalstad

Hi Phil,

Occasionally I also miss decodes for transmissions I hear, but when looking at the time window in WSJT-X (my PC time well calibrated, according to time.is) the missing decodes appear some seconds before or after the calibrated time.

This indicates that some users are not having well calibrated PCs, and their transmissions cannot be decoded by well calibrated receiving stations -- sorry.

73 from Tom, LA4LN
(+ LC1V in contests)

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>
________________________________

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Phil Cooper

Hi Tom and William,
It isn't all the time, just periodically.
I guess it could be RF getting back in, so I will try using less power, but I don't have issues with RTTY or PSK software, only WSJTx and JTDX.

I do keep a very close eye on the time sync, and refresh that quite often.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter how many signals are on the band. I could understand if the band was packed with really loud signals, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

All very puzzling...

73 de Phil GU0SUP

Chuck Gelm

On 6/14/22 12:57, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
I do keep a very close eye on the time sync, and refresh that quite often.
There is software that will, automagicly, *maintain* your clock's accuracy.

It seems to me that you are using software that
displays the computer's clock time and/or allows you to manually adjust your clock.
e.g. The software you are using does not, automaticly, *maintain* your clock.

73, Chuck

Chuck Gelm

On 6/14/22 07:50, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi to Kari and*Chuck*,
Hi, Phil:

Reference:
On 6/14/22 07:15, Chuck Gelm wrote:
"*after seeing many signals on the waterfall, I get no decodes*"*?*
Please confirm that you are seeing signals on your waterfall during a 'Tx even/1st' (or Tx odd/2nd) and
in the next 15 seconds you get no decodes.

Does this only occur after:
"
On 6/14/22 06:59, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
*I call CQ, but after hearing many signals, I get no decodes.*
"

As previously suggested, this could be RFI related.

73, Chuck

Chuck Gelm

On 6/14/22 07:50, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
The time is correct... I am using Dimension4
Hi, Phil:

Correct me if I am wrong, but
AFAIK, Dimention4 is a time-adjuster and not a time-maintainer.

I was hoping for a reply of your clock accuracy such as: '/Clock is within 0.2 seconds of time.is/',
as opposed to '/time is correct/'.

73, Chuck

Chuck Gelm

On 6/14/22 08:56, Tom V. Segalstad wrote:
the missing decodes appear some seconds before or after the calibrated time.
Hi, Tom:

 Yes. WSJT-X may start a decode some 1.7(?) seconds before the end of a 15 second cycle and
continue to decode after end end of a 15 second cycle.
This depends on the (CPU speed and) 'Decode' setting:
'Fast', 'Normal', or 'Deep'.

73, Chuck

Tom V. Segalstad

Hi Chuck,

Here I am decoding FT8 with «Deep» and «Enable AP» activated, and the PC time is always well within +/- 0.1 seconds, according to time.is (using the BktTimeSync program in Windows-10).

I can decode with DT within +/- 0.5 seconds, but that’s the maximum DT I have seen being decoded with «Deep» and «AP» activated.

73 from Tom, LA4LN
(+ LC1V in contests)

On 6/14/22 08:56, Tom V. Segalstad wrote:
the missing decodes appear some seconds before or after the calibrated time.
Hi, Tom:

Yes. WSJT-X may start a decode some 1.7(?) seconds before the end of a
15 second cycle and
continue to decode after end end of a 15 second cycle.
This depends on the (CPU speed and) 'Decode' setting:
'Fast', 'Normal', or 'Deep'.

73, Chuck

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Phil Cooper

Hi Chuck,

Well, my clock is always within +/- 0.2s so well within tolerance.

The missing decodes are random, as most of the time, I get good decodes.
Whilst operating this afternoon, I was seeing some decodes that were off by as much as 2s, so I don't think my problem lays there.

I am going to check for RFI, but it is not causing issues with other software.

From what I can see, many folk are using Dimension4 for keeping the time, so I don't think that is an issue.

Best 73

Phil GU0SUP

On 6/14/22 14:03, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi Chuck,

Well, my clock is always within ± 0.2s so well within tolerance.

The missing decodes are random, as most of the time, I get good decodes.
Whilst operating this afternoon, I was seeing some decodes that were off by as much as 2s, so I don't think my problem lays there.

I am going to check for RFI, but it is not causing issues with other software.

From what I can see, many folk are using Dimension4 for keeping the time, so I don't think that is an issue.
Best 73

Phil GU0SUP
Hi, Phil:

Maybe monitor your CPU usage.
Look for a core running at 100% for => 9 seconds.

I am using a Raspberry Pi model 4B.
Occasionally I see a core spike to 90%, but within 6 seconds it drops to < 10%.

Perhaps if WSJT-X does not complete a decode cycle by the time another cycle starts,
WSJT-X drops the old decode task and starts anew.
?

73, Chuck

Jim Brown

On 6/14/2022 5:56 AM, Tom V. Segalstad wrote:
This indicates that some users are not having well calibrated PCs, and their transmissions cannot be decoded by well calibrated receiving stations -- sorry.
The best indicator of good time sync is that most DT values are small, within the range of +/- 0.2 msec, with occasional much larger outliers from stations who are not well synced. WSJT-X will highlight those DTs in RED.

If your DTs are within this range, STOP WORRYING!

73, Jim K9YC

Bill, WB6JJJ

Chuck brings up a critical problem.
If your computer is a bit too slow it will miss decode cycles. I had to retire my not that old HP computer because it was just not fast enough to always finish computing by the time the next time slot arrived and would lose decodes.
Turning off Deep and AP decoding may help.
Good luck,
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Jun 14, 2022, at 12:00 PM, Chuck Gelm <nc8q-aredn@...> wrote:

On 6/14/22 14:03, Phil Cooper via groups.io wrote:
Hi Chuck,

Well, my clock is always within ± 0.2s so well within tolerance.

The missing decodes are random, as most of the time, I get good decodes.
Whilst operating this afternoon, I was seeing some decodes that were off by as much as 2s, so I don't think my problem lays there.

I am going to check for RFI, but it is not causing issues with other software.

From what I can see, many folk are using Dimension4 for keeping the time, so I don't think that is an issue.
Best 73

Phil GU0SUP
Hi, Phil:

Maybe monitor your CPU usage.
Look for a core running at 100% for => 9 seconds.

I am using a Raspberry Pi model 4B.
Occasionally I see a core spike to 90%, but within 6 seconds it drops to < 10%.

Perhaps if WSJT-X does not complete a decode cycle by the time another cycle starts,
WSJT-X drops the old decode task and starts anew.
?

73, Chuck

Jim Brown

YES! If it's just old, you probably need a new one. But if it's relatively new, you may simply need more RAM.

On 6/14/2022 2:32 PM, Bill, WB6JJJ wrote:
Chuck brings up a critical problem.
If your computer is a bit too slow it will miss decode cycles. I had to retire my not that old HP computer because it was just not fast enough to always finish computing by the time the next time slot arrived and would lose decodes.
Turning off Deep and AP decoding may help.
This website will run a test that tells how much RAM you have, how much you can add, and what specific chips they sell will fit. I've used them several times.

They also sell solid state drives (SSD), which can also speed up a computer, and that test will also give you information on that. I would ask around your most computer-literate friends about the best brands of SSDs.

https://www.crucial.com/

73, Jim K9YC

Jim Brown

Brain cramp -- I meant within ± 0.2 sec