My background is computer programming and although I have done very little in C I would like to experiment with changes to ft990.h and/or WSJT-X rig control. Is there a means for testing changes to rig opcodes and parameters locally? Where should I start please?

Michael Black

New hamlib for Windows installation directions
#1 Shut down WSJTX/JTDX
#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX/JTDX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.
If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in \WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll
#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.
If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk
Mike W9MDB

On Monday, May 23, 2022, 04:01:36 PM CDT, David via groups.io <m0ezp@...> wrote:

I have a FT990 with v1.2 ROM which I'd like to get working for CAT and digimodes.

I'm a newbie with WSJT-X, Hamlib and Commander although I have managed to get a connection to the FT990. Unfortunately I get a Hamlib error at startup and when trying to save rig config - "invalid parameter while getting current VFO frequency". I am certain that this is because the https://github.com/Hamlib/Hamlib/blob/master/rigs/yaesu/ft990.h file is written for FT990 v1.3 ROM and the response to checking the rig frequency changed significantly between these versions.

My background is computer programming and although I have done very little in C I would like to experiment with changes to ft990.h and/or WSJT-X rig control. Is there a means for testing changes to rig opcodes and parameters locally? Where should I start please?

David - M0EZP

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I've made some progress but I'm pretty stuck on what should be simple.

I've forked the project in github and downloaded it locally making some changes to the ft990-2.c ft990-2.h files to try to get back to V1.2 ROM CAT specs.

I have installed Github and Visual Studio on my Win 10 PC but I'm completely confused by the Win 10 process to build the DLL. I can see there are makefile scripts but I'm not sure how to use them to get from the source through compile to link and create the DLL.

Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

David

Michael Black

Use JTSDK to build hamlib
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, May 24, 2022, 11:09:18 AM CDT, David via groups.io <m0ezp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I've made some progress but I'm pretty stuck on what should be simple.

I've forked the project in github and downloaded it locally making some changes to the ft990-2.c ft990-2.h files to try to get back to V1.2 ROM CAT specs.

I have installed Github and Visual Studio on my Win 10 PC but I'm completely confused by the Win 10 process to build the DLL. I can see there are makefile scripts but I'm not sure how to use them to get from the source through compile to link and create the DLL.

Can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

David

David - M0EZP

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I've now installed JTSDK and rebuilt hamlib a few times.
I'm copying over the DLL that it builds libhamlib-4.dll from \JTSDK64-Tools\tools\hamlib\qt\5.15.2\bin to my live WSJTX install \wsjtx\bin
I'm not seeing my changes to the rig c and h files come through which might well be an error on my part but I should be able to just swap the DLL as I'm doing shouldn't I?

73 David

Michael Black

Yes...just copy the dll.

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 11:40:05 AM CDT, David via groups.io <m0ezp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Thanks. I've now installed JTSDK and rebuilt hamlib a few times.
I'm copying over the DLL that it builds libhamlib-4.dll from \JTSDK64-Tools\tools\hamlib\qt\5.15.2\bin to my live WSJTX install  \wsjtx\bin
I'm not seeing my changes to the rig c and h files come through which might well be an error on my part but I should be able to just swap the DLL as I'm doing shouldn't I?

73 David

David - M0EZP

Hi Mike,
Thanks again.
I've made progress and tracked down the cause of not seeing changes come through. I've been changing ft990.c and ft990.h where I'd put the repository locally \Hamlib-master but source was being taken from \JTSDK64-Tools\tools\msys64\home\David\src\hamlib\src\ - where is the source folder set?
Also, if I wanted to create a new rig eg ft990v12 what's the file or process to do that please?
Many thanks
David

Michael Black

Why do we need a 1.2 rig?  What's different?
The src folder is set in build-hamlib.sh which will be in your home bin directorySRCD="$HOME/src/hamlib"

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, 03:11:42 AM CDT, David via groups.io <m0ezp@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,
Thanks again.
I've made progress and tracked down the cause of not seeing changes come through. I've been changing ft990.c and ft990.h where I'd put the repository locally \Hamlib-master but source was being taken from \JTSDK64-Tools\tools\msys64\home\David\src\hamlib\src\ - where is the source folder set?
Also, if I wanted to create a new rig eg ft990v12 what's the file or process to do that please?
Many thanks
David

David - M0EZP

Thanks for the script name, I'll have a look at that.
The FT990 CAT spec is different between ROM v1.2 and v1.3. For v1.2 CAT always sends 1492 bytes from the UPDATE command which takes about 3s to return. The story goes that a 3s delay was no good for contest work so v1.3 was released where the UPDATE command has a parameter and returns 1508, 32 or 16 bytes depending whether you want all the data or parts like just the VFO etc which would be back in milliseconds.
So the rig spec doesn't work for rigs on ROM v1.2 and I'm trying to hack my local rig files to fix it.
73 David