locked Deleting Messages From Log #logging #NewUser #macOS

Robert44

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

make sure you are removing from the right file. you need to have show file extensions on in your file explorer and you want the log file wsjtx_log.adi. thats what works for me.

Karza

Robert,

to completely reset your history:
1) Stop WSJT-X
2) Delete following files from the log directory: ALL.TXT,  ALL_WSPR.TXT, wsjtx.log, wsjtx_log.adi, WSPR_history.txt
3) Start WSJT-X and the program will recreate above files when needed.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

On 23.5.2022 2.25, Robert44 via groups.io wrote:
Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

Reino Talarmo

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!
Hi Robert,
Nice that you got your radio working correctly.
The relevant file is wsjtx_log.adi. In Macintosh it is in Log directory: ~/Library/Application Support/WSJT-X/. I assume that you need to close wsjt-x and then either rename wsjtx_log.adi or delete it using operating system tools. You may also edit the wsjt-x.adi file using a text editor, if you know valid contacts, hi. It looks a bit cryptic, but each line is a contact.

73, Reino OH3mA

KI5TPC

Martin G0HDB

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 07:17 AM, Robert44 wrote:

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged
some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the
entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log'
file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave
the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like
to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!
Hi Robert, you're looking at the wrong file. If you want to delete your entire log then you need to find 'wsjtx_log.adi' and delete it (or delete whichever QSOs you want to get rid of); this is the file in which all your QSOs are recorded. Despite its title the 'wsjtx.log' file only contains a record of all the logging transactions, not the QSOs themselves

If you don't want to ferret around in the user folder you can use the File menu to delete the 'wsjtx_log.adi' file - one of the options is 'Erase wsjtx_log.adi'.

--
Martin G0HDB

Gary Rogers

Try in WSJTX Files > Open log directory and find the wsjtx_log.adi file. Move it to trash.

On May 22, 2022, at 4:25 PM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

Michael Black

You can delete or edit the wsjtx_log.adi file
File/Open Log DirectoryRight-click the wsjtx_log.adi file and either Edit or Delete it.
Mike W9MDB

On Monday, May 23, 2022, 01:17:23 AM CDT, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

Hi everyone.  I have stupid question.  I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8.  I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it.  When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return.  How do you permanently delete the files?  I would like to clear them all out and start over.  Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

William Smith

First, make sure wsjt-x is shut down.

Then open the log directory and delete wsjtx_log.adi which is the file that holds your logged QSOs

Then restart wsjt-x and log a QSO, and the above file should be recreated with just the one QSO in it.

Enjoy!

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 22, 2022, at 7:25 PM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

Andy Willms

After you make the changes you have to save the file in the same location…..
ANDY KE7RTB

Hi everyone. I have stupid question. I think I may have incorrectly logged some FT8 QSOs when learning how to operate FT8. I would like to delete the entire log but I can't figure out how to do it. When I go to the 'wsjtx.log' file and either hit 'Clear' or I delete the files they come back when I leave the page and return. How do you permanently delete the files? I would like to clear them all out and start over. Many thanks!

Robert KI5TPC

Robert44

Thanks guys I got it done!!

Robert KI5TPC

Robert44

One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!

Rober KI5TPC

robert kupps

Hi Robert, try textedit
robert
w6ino
On May 24, 2022, at 8:01 AM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!

Rober KI5TPC

W6INO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Reino Talarmo

One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!
Rober,

I assume that you can also in Mac rename file to a type that can be opened by a text editor. In Windows I can just select which program I want to use for opening the file.

For sure there are many programs that use .ADI and that is confusing, but it is a common problem. In Windows were have "Adifmaster" for editing those file and may be others as well. Also some logging software can be used for ADIF file editing.

73, Reino OH3mA

Karza

Robert,

Any basic text editor should be able to open "wsjtx_log.adi" such as Notepad on Windows.
The log is just a plain text file.

Choose one of the most basic editors from AppStore or perhaps one of these:
https://rorlt.com/mac-code-editor/

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

On 24.5.2022 18.01, Robert44 via groups.io wrote:
One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!

Rober KI5TPC

William Smith

It’s just a text file, so any text editor should work.

On a Mac, right-click on the file and use “Open with” and select TextEdit.app
The first time you may have to do “Other” and select Applications and then select TextEdit.app
For ease of future use, check the box labelled “Always Open With”

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 24, 2022, at 11:01 AM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!

Rober KI5TPC

Gary Rogers

Robert, use the text edit app…Just make sure if you save the file, save with the .adi file extension not .txt

On May 24, 2022, at 8:01 AM, Robert44 via groups.io <robert44henry@...> wrote:

One more question, when I try to open the wsjtx_log.adi file where (I think) my new logs are stored I get a message that my MacBook Pro does not have software to open the file. I then got directed to the Apple App Store and I downloaded some recommended software that has nothing to do with opening this .adi file. Does this sound right? How can I open this file? Many thanks!

Rober KI5TPC

Dave Garber

when windows tries to open ( first time) an adi file, if one is not
assigned, ususally you can select 'open with' and we can use any editor you
like ( with a minor issue. it saves as txt not adi, so renaming is
necessary

perhaps there is a default editor on the mac that can do this too. it is
only a text file

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE