locked Automated QSOs #QSO_practices

Kermit Lehman

In FT4 mode WSJT-X has an option: "Best S+P"

From the WSJT-X manual:
Clicking Best S+P during an Rx cycle arms the program to examine all CQ messages decoded at the end of the Rx sequence. The program will select the best potential QSO partner (from a contesting perspective), and treat it as if you had double-clicked on that line of decoded text. Here "best potential QSO partner" means "New Multiplier" (1st priority) or "New Call on Band" (2nd priority). "New Multiplier" is currently interpreted to mean "New DXCC"; a more broadly defined multiplier category (for the ARRL RTTY Roundup rules) will be implemented in due course. We may provide additional priority rankings, for example “New Grid on Band” (useful for North American VHF contests), sorting by signal strength, etc.

The ARRL Digital contest rules say (in accordance with the general ARRL policy)
OPRG.4. Each contact must include contemporaneous direct initiation by both operators making a contact. Initiation of a contact may be by either local or remote control. Fully automated contacts are prohibited.

Although the operator has to keep ticking on "Best S+P" for each new QSO, "Best S+P" selects the station to call and initiates the QSOs. As such, it is prohibited under ARRL rules. This should probably be mentioned in the rules to avoid any misunderstanding.

73,
Ken, AB1J

-----Original Message-----
From: Ria, N2RJ <rjairam@...>
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Sent: Wed, May 11, 2022 9:43 pm
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] DX-pedition multi trace contacts #FoxAndHound

MSHV has multi answer and full automation as well, unfortunately.

Ria
N2RJ

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 5:37 PM n4qwf . <N4QWF1@...> wrote:

Thank you, I don't know what MSHV is but I will do a search for it.

73<<John

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 5:01 PM Darin - NY7H <darin.crowley@...>
wrote:

I think he's working MSHV.

Darin
NY7H

On Wed, May 11, 2022, 1:45 PM n4qwf . <N4QWF1@...> wrote:

You know I ask a fair question. I did not expect a smart ass remark.
What I
meant was He was not working split. No I was not on his frequency. I was
calling him at a open spot in the waterfall.  What I noticed was I did
not
have the WSJT program setup for F/H nor in split mode. Neither did any of
the other many stations who called and worked him. He was sending two
tracks and responding to two stations in the same time slot.  I guess I
expected more from the WSJT list than this.

<<John N4QWF

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 4:17 PM Robert Lorenzini <bob@...>
wrote:

You worked a DX station on his frequency? There is a word for this.

Bob - d6dod

On 5/11/2022 1:09 PM, n4qwf . wrote:
I am aware of the Fox/Hound function of WSJT as I have used it many
times to work DX. Yesterday I worked VU4W on 17m FT8. I was not sure
how
he
was operating as he was answering two stations at once but he was not
using
F/H. I worked him direct on his frequency. I have never seen this type
of
operation before. Would someone point me to information explaining this
type of operation?

Bob KM4RL

Maybe the Best S+P candidate could be highlighted with a special color so the op could manually initiate each QSO?
This would be the same number of clicks but would comply with the rules, I believe.

Bob KM4RL