locked #FT4 #transmit #stopped_working #FT4 #transmit #stopped_working

Jeff Kaplan

Transmit using FT-4 seems to only last <1 to 1.5 seconds max. I am
absolutely not getting out. It has worked no problem in the past. FT-8
and WSPR modes currently working perfectly fine as always.

Anybody else experience something similar or have an idea how to fix?
Thanks, 73...

Jeff KD4EB

WSJT-x 2.5.4
Signalink USB
CAT Controlled
No ALC bars, VOX off in Yaesu Menu,
VOX PTT on in settings as per Signalink in settings
Yaesu 818
Windows 11
End Fed Random Wire with Auto Tuner SWR always below 1.3,
Chokes on coax, no obvious indications of common mode in shack.

William Smith

Hmm, just random thoughts:

1) I would say classic RFI, try reducing your output power and/or using a dummy load to eliminate that possibility.

2) Your time sync on 40M FT8 seems to vary widely, check with time.is <http://time.is/> and use something like https://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm#ntp_stable to keep your time close.

3) Try a different place on the waterfall, maybe there's some interaction with the lockout when you are stepping on someone?

4) Make sure your TX audio is coming from where you think it is, Windows is known to reset defaults and maybe you are sending your alert tones to the radio instead of the FT8 audio? Can you listen to your own transmission using a Monitor function or another radio?

5) You _think_ nothing has changed, but maybe a connector got wet or corroded, or a wire fell down, or something. Check everything.

Yeah, I know, none of that explains why the other modes work fine, so I'm just spitballing...

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Apr 17, 2022, at 7:13 PM, Jeff Kaplan <jkaplan1320@...> wrote:

Transmit using FT-4 seems to only last <1 to 1.5 seconds max. I am
absolutely not getting out. It has worked no problem in the past. FT-8
and WSPR modes currently working perfectly fine as always.

Anybody else experience something similar or have an idea how to fix?
Thanks, 73...

Jeff KD4EB

WSJT-x 2.5.4
Signalink USB
CAT Controlled
No ALC bars, VOX off in Yaesu Menu,
VOX PTT on in settings as per Signalink in settings
Yaesu 818
Windows 11
End Fed Random Wire with Auto Tuner SWR always below 1.3,
Chokes on coax, no obvious indications of common mode in shack.

Gwen

I had the same situation occur recently; but on 40, 20, and 10 meters on FT8 and 40 meters on FT4.
My system worked great for the past 6 months with no problem until the latest Windows 10 upgrade foisted itself on my laptop.
I ran a O/S backup onto the computer in an attempt to restore the computer state prior to the last backup (last week) and operations returned to normal.   Laptop is a Dell Latitude and have no idea whether this only affects mine.  You asked if anyone else had a similar problem, so ....

Gwen
KI5PXQ

On 4/17/22 5:13 PM, Jeff Kaplan wrote:
Transmit using FT-4 seems to only last <1 to 1.5 seconds max. I am
absolutely not getting out. It has worked no problem in the past. FT-8
and WSPR modes currently working perfectly fine as always.

Anybody else experience something similar or have an idea how to fix?
Thanks, 73...

Jeff KD4EB

WSJT-x 2.5.4
Signalink USB
CAT Controlled
No ALC bars, VOX off in Yaesu Menu,
VOX PTT on in settings as per Signalink in settings
Yaesu 818
Windows 11
End Fed Random Wire with Auto Tuner SWR always below 1.3,
Chokes on coax, no obvious indications of common mode in shack.

Jeff Kaplan

After throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the problem, I resolved
this by deselecting Rig and selecting Fake It from the Radio Tab. In
fact, everything seems to work more smoothly and predictably now. Go
figure. Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated
73 Jeff KD4EB

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM Gwen <gsw2@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger

So what was the setting before you changed it?

Roger
GW4HZA

On 18/04/2022 17:56, Jeff Kaplan wrote:
[...]

It was set to “Rig” in the Split-Operation box under the Radio Tab. I
changed it to “Fake It.”

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:44 PM Roger <groups@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Black

Please try the latest hamlib and see if rig split works for you.  There have been some changes that can help.
New hamlib for Windows installation directions
#1 Shut down WSJTX/JTDX
#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX/JTDX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.
If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in \WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll
http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll
#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.
If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk
Mike W9MDB

On Monday, April 18, 2022, 12:47:37 PM CDT, Jeff Kaplan <jkaplan1320@...> wrote:

[...]

I just tried this, however my old problems returned. It might just be a
radio setting I have...something unique to me. I'm back to "faking it"
until I figure out why. Thanks all.

Jeff KD4EB

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the
file that way.

jkaplan1320@...> wrote:

[...]

Please place this file as described belowhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/t52ngcalsgnpm8m/wsjtx_log_config.ini?dl=0
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\WSJT-X The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be in the same location For Linux put it in   ~/.config The WSJT-X_Rigcontrol.log file will be here: ~/.local/share/WSJT-X Restart WSJT-X and duplicate the problem.Shut down WSJT-X
Then send me the WSJT-X_RigControl.log fileMike W9MDB

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the
file that way.

jkaplan1320@...> wrote:

[...]

Will do. Probably early evening today. Thank you for your help.

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move
the
file that way.

wrote:

[...]

Placed the wsjx_log_config.ini file from downloaded from drop box into both folders. It did not generate the log file or fill the log file I then created myself and placed in the ~<me>/appdat/local file you described. Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted?

Michael Black

That file would go in AppData/Local/WSJT-X
Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022, 03:03:09 PM CDT, Jeff Kaplan <jkaplan1320@...> wrote:

Placed the wsjx_log_config.ini file from downloaded from drop box into both folders.  It did not generate the log file or fill the log file I then created myself and placed in the ~<me>/appdat/local file you described.  Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted?

Jeff Kaplan

The WSJT-X_RigControl.log file is an empty text file I created. I also
gave the wsjtx_log_config.ini file the chance to create the log file. I
tried both ways.

WSJT-X_RigControl.log that I manually created on the second attempt was
placed in C:/Users/<me>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X folder.

The file you placed in the drop box that writes to the log is named
wsjtx_log_config.ini. I placed this in both:

C:/Users/<me>/AppData/Local/WSJT-X
C:WSJT/wsjtx/bin/

The updated lib_hamlib4.dll was used.

The files were placed while WSJTX program was closed.

I then started the program and placed the split operation to Rig Control
and the mode to FT-4. I clicked the monitor button on to green. I hit
enable transmit.

The program tried to change frequencies several times without success. It
did succeed to transmit once but it struggled and failed many times.

I closed the program and found the log file was not created by the ini
file, and the log file which I manually created on a second attempt was
also empty.

Please do you know what I did wrong. I did database program in the 1990’s
using Windows NT, so I have a basic idea how this should work. Either I
named something wrong or put it in the wrong place, or maybe fid something
in the wrong order,