locked FT8 Etiquette #FT8

nm9p

It happened again....Because someone didn't understand or didn't care about some of the common operating courtesies for FT8.

I was trying to work a rare DX station on 12 Meters. He was -23 dB.
I was half-way through the exchanges when some other ham with a signal of -12 started calling the same station on the DX's Frequency. Which is usually discouraged.
What made it worse was that he was calling on the WRONG TIME slot, which meant that he was perfectly covering over the DX station's already weak signals.

Folks. If you are calling for a DX station be certain of two things:

1) Don't call on the DX's frequency. Learn how to Lock your TX frequency to a clear spot so you won't interfere with the DX station.
2) Check your time (even or odd) to be certain that you are not wasting your transmissions by sending when the DX is not listening. And so that you won't Cover the DX up if your are on the DX frequency.

Thanks.

After about 10 minutes the other station gave up, or figured it out. another ten minutes and I finally got the DX station. But it was a chore because by then the band was already dying.

Dennis Wage <dwage@...>

Hold Tx Freq and operate in an open slot on the 50's. Simple but no one
does it.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 5:10 PM nm9p via groups.io <nm9p@...>
wrote:

[...]

Gary trock

Thanks. Worthwhile repeating this. I suspect most who follow this site already know.

On Mar 29, 2022, at 6:10 PM, nm9p via groups.io <nm9p@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger

On 29/03/2022 23:05, nm9p via groups.io wrote:
[...]
I'm afraid that's the standard operating procedure for some stations. They call on the incorrect time slot hoping that the DX station will not immediately transmit on their correct cycle immediately after completing the QSO.

It would be illegal for UK stations to do this.

Some contesters use equally shady operating procedures. Unfortunately they're legal under RSGB rules.

73
Roger
GW4HZA

K3JRZ

I feel your pain and anger. The same basic thing happens on SSB for Parks
On The Air. I’m calling for a specific station and another one calls back
along with the one I’m calling. And then I stress the specific station and
the other one continues to call sometimes. I’ll repeat myself until Hell
freezes over until the interrupting station stops.

DX CODE OF CONDUCT. http://dx-code.com

People need to (re-)read it, learn it, memorize it and live it.

I put it in all of my videos where this happens. SMH.

73.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 18:10 nm9p via groups.io <nm9p@...>
wrote:

[...]

Similar calling CQ on the same CW frequency forever despite no rwturn calls

DX CODE OF CONDUCT. https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdx-code.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C253578813bf843e3cbc708da11d23d21%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637841891903276132%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=q7r6vinf4i1OkRTUvRRzeJTQw2p7fqB0G2NQqvZMBaE%3D&amp;reserved=0

wrote:

[...]

I don't want to call the station out publicly, or assume devious motives, because I choose to believe it was an honest mistake (I have accidentally done the same thing - call for a while, leave the info in the queue, then come back and call again, not realizing that the DX station has flipped time slots) So I though e friendly (but frustrated) reminder would be the better part of grace for a station who should have known better, but perhaps is new to FT8 and just doesn't know.

Have a great day, folks!

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 06:16:05 PM EDT, Roger <groups@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Bour VA3ZEV

I'm a new guy here, been using FT8 for the most part for my qso as I'm much better at a keyboard than audio (or at least that is what I tell myself) hence love of js8 and VaraAC too.
I've had many a time I get interrupted by a signal also trying to reach one I'm working and mine stops. Is the correct protocol for me to hit enable tx again or wait until I don't see the "offender" any longer?
If I wait, the time slots have changed and at least 1/2 the time, I can't raise the other party.
What is the correct process I guess I'm asking
D.

On 2022-03-29, 6:53 PM, "main@WSJTX.groups.io on behalf of nm9p via groups.io" <main@WSJTX.groups.io on behalf of nm9p@...> wrote:

I don't want to call the station out publicly, or assume devious motives, because I choose to believe it was an honest mistake (I have accidentally done the same thing - call for a while, leave the info in the queue, then come back and call again, not realizing that the DX station has flipped time slots) So I though e friendly (but frustrated) reminder would be the better part of grace for a station who should have known better, but perhaps is new to FT8 and just doesn't know.

Have a great day, folks!

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 06:16:05 PM EDT, Roger <groups@...> wrote:

On 29/03/2022 23:05, nm9p via groups.io wrote:
> It happened again....Because someone didn't understand or didn't care about some of the common operating courtesies for FT8.
>
> I was trying to work a rare DX station on 12 Meters. He was -23 dB.
> I was half-way through the exchanges when some other ham with a signal of -12 started calling the same station on the DX's Frequency. Which is usually discouraged.
> What made it worse was that he was calling on the WRONG TIME slot, which meant that he was perfectly covering over the DX station's already weak signals.
>
> Folks. If you are calling for a DX station be certain of two things:
>
> 1) Don't call on the DX's frequency. Learn how to Lock your TX frequency to a clear spot so you won't interfere with the DX station.
> 2) Check your time (even or odd) to be certain that you are not wasting your transmissions by sending when the DX is not listening. And so that you won't Cover the DX up if your are on the DX frequency.
>
> Thanks.
>
> After about 10 minutes the other station gave up, or figured it out. another ten minutes and I finally got the DX station. But it was a chore because by then the band was already dying.

I'm afraid that's the standard operating procedure for some stations.
They call on the incorrect time slot hoping that the DX station will not
immediately transmit on their correct cycle immediately after completing
the QSO.

It would be illegal for UK stations to do this.

Some contesters use equally shady operating procedures. Unfortunately
they're legal under RSGB rules.

73
Roger
GW4HZA

William Smith

Pick a different audio frequency and you should be fine.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Mar 29, 2022, at 6:59 PM, Dave Bour VA3ZEV <va3zev@...> wrote:

I've had many a time I get interrupted by a signal also trying to reach one I'm working and mine stops.

Jocelyn Gould

One thing that I've noticed with doing FT8 on a POTA activation is that I
will be working a station and others will be calling while I'm working a
station. I have to keep track in my head of who called first, etc and try
to work them. If I get too far out of sync, I halt transmissions and the
call CQ again.

72,
Jocelyn Gould
AE8JG
EM89mo

KX3 # 11234
NAQCC # 7704
OMISS # 9948
4sqrp # 990
FP # 3579

yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

[...]

Haven’t bothered to do FT8 during my activations since early last summer,
but I noticed that stuff too when I did. Plus I haven’t re-set up my
Raspberry Pi after I nuked & paved it with Bullseye. I enjoy SSB better
nowadays.

wrote:

[...]

Ron

Excellent point. Use Hold Frequency and transmit in a clear area usually
on the lower portion of the passband.

Ron - KJ5XX

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022, 5:10 PM nm9p via groups.io <nm9p@...>
wrote:

[...]

Dave (NK7Z)

If you are running JTAlert, use the text message feature and politely ask the offending station to move. About half of them have text on, and most will move.

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net
ARRL Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Technical Specialist, RFI
ARRL Asst. Director, NW Division, Technical Resources

wrote:

[...]

👍

Ron - KJ5XX

wrote:

[...]

Bill Ahillen

I always look for a hole, there is a risk that it is a clear hole because a DX station I can’t hear is on that frequency.

I also try to delay my TX start for 3 seconds and watch the waterfall to see if someone is on top of me that was not there before.

It never hurts to move to a new frequency now and then especially on 10 meters when you only hear the distant stations.

New mode, new things to learn especially those new to FT8.

73
Bill W9JJB

👍

wrote:

[...]

I had a question in private email on what I mean by operating on the 50's

If everyone would operate on the 50’s, which is: set your transmit tone frequency to multiples of 50, e.g., 200, 250, 300... ...2900, 2950, 3000.
It would immediately make more room.
Here’s an example.
Operator 1 is on 1200
Operator 2 is on 1275
Operator 3 is on 1350

Operator 2 on 1275 is taking up 2 slots.
Here is an image where you can clearly see what is happening.
http://dwage.com/1.png

Bill, WB6JJJ

But WSJT-X can decode two signals on the same frequency... It's nice to have a clear frequency but on many bands that is not possible with >60 signals flowing down the waterfall. The program does amazing things and decoding two on the same frequency is definitely up there.
Bill
WB6JJJ

I had a question in private email on what I mean by operating on the 50's

If everyone would operate on the 50’s, which is: set your transmit tone frequency to multiples of 50, e.g., 200, 250, 300... ...2900, 2950, 3000.
It would immediately make more room.
Here’s an example.
Operator 1 is on 1200
Operator 2 is on 1275
Operator 3 is on 1350

Operator 2 on 1275 is taking up 2 slots.
Here is an image where you can clearly see what is happening.
http://dwage.com/1.png

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

The fallacy in your example is that WSJTx has no such audio "slot" boundaries, so operator 2 on 1275 cannot be "taking up 2 slots." The audio signal occupies a window from the listed audio frequency to 50 Hz higher, period. We can tell that the authors intended it to work that way by not restricting the starting audio selection to any specific set of acceptable audio frequencies. If you read the user manual you'll find that the software decode process easily separates and analyzes incoming signals less than 10 Hz apart. That's how the "busy" detector works to auto-disable transmit. Skeptical? Give it a try, you'll work more DX without violating the DXers Code of Ethics!

Also note that in your example you choose to set your transmit audio tone anywhere between 200 and 3000 Hz, BUT if your receiver's filter bandpass is only 300 to 2400 (the usual 2.1 kHz filter) you shouldn't expect to see or decode signals much outside that range. You can see this attenuation of incoming signals 'outside the RF filter skirts on the waterfall display. "Split mode" (which in hindsight would have been better nicknamed "transmit tone offset") only adjusts the tone and suppressed RF carrier frequency during the transmit interval. It is not active at all on receive.

--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...