locked What happened to Tab 2 and the Free Msg Box? #QSO_practices

bob norin

I noticed in going from WSJT-X 2.1.2 to 2.5.4 the functionality of Tab 2 seems to have changed. In version 2.1.2 I used Tab 2 to write spur of the moment 13 character messages, saying 73 to friends by name, etc., at the end of a QSO. The functionality of Tab 2 used to be described in section 10.5 of the 2.1 User's Guide. I can't find the current Tab 2 functionality described in the 2.5 User's Guide, nor can I find a way of quickly composing and sending personalized 13 character messages. I miss the Free Msg box.

Thanks for the help.

73,
Bob W7YAQ

Reino Talarmo

Hi Bob,
The free text functionality is there. Actully any message in the Tab 1 can be modified by pointing a suitable position and typing/deleting. The Tx5 row contains all the earlier functions e.g. you can save the typed message by hitting Enter key. You can select saved messages from the dropdown list (down arrow). In addition you may edit the list at File | Settings | Tx Macros.
See further details in the User Manual 4.4. Tx Macros.
73, Reino Oh3mA

I noticed in going from WSJT-X 2.1.2 to 2.5.4 the functionality of Tab 2 seems to have changed. In version 2.1.2 I used Tab 2 to write spur of the moment 13 character messages, saying 73 to friends by name, etc., at the end of a QSO. The functionality of Tab 2 used to be described in section 10.5 of the 2.1 User's Guide. I can't find the current Tab 2 functionality described in the 2.5 User's Guide, nor can I find a way of quickly composing and sending personalized 13 character messages. I miss the Free Msg box.

Ron W3RJW

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 06:00 AM, Reino Talarmo wrote:

Tx5 row contains all the earlier functions
Indeed it does. However, if another station calls you it gets replaced by the calling stations call, your call and 73 (std msg 5). You have to turn "auto sequence" off (which also turns off 'Call First') if you want to be assured you will get a chance to send the message.

This change from Tab 2, a year or more back, has, to me, made the feature almost useless. I don't remember having to do this when the feature was in Tab 2. Auto Sequence and Call First for me are always on.

RonĀ  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-X Improved 2.5.4, JTAlert 2.50.9, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.391
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Reino Talarmo

Indeed it does. However, if another station calls you it gets replaced by the calling stations call, your call and 73 (std msg 5). You have to turn "auto sequence" off (which also turns off 'Call First') if you want to be assured you will get a chance to send the message.
Do you want to prepare a free text to a station that has not yet answered to you?
Or do you mean some generic free text such as "TNX DE RON 73"?
The latter you may type any time and save it for a later usage by just hitting Return key. Whenever needed select one from the dropdown list.

On the other hand, if you want to have a on-going QSO related text such as "TU MIKE 73", then you need to edit at least the "MIKE" there during the call, are'nt you. Once you have selected a station by a double click or the call 1st has answered and the message list is filled including the "DX_call Your_call 73" on Tx5, you can either select from the list a suitable one, possibly edit it, or just type a new one. You can do the typing at any time including transmission time. So you should have at least half a minute to do your selection or typing.

So you need to do at least a selection to complete the auto sequence with your preference.

This change from Tab 2, a year or more back, has, to me, made the feature almost useless. I don't remember having to do this when the feature was in Tab 2. Auto Sequence and Call First for me are always on.
The deprecated Tab 2 did not give your any more time, I think. I never really used Tab 2, so correct me, if I got it wrong.

73, Reino OH3mA

Ron W3RJW

Reino,

Perhaps I was not clear. If you have a free text message teed up in TX5 in preparation to send at the end of a QSO (73, GL or whatever), and another station calls you once you have sent RR73 or 73 (tail ends), the TAB 1 box will autofill with the calling stations info (including the free text on the tee) and answer the new stations call. You never get a chance to send the message at the end of the previous "QSO" unless you have "auto sequence" turned off (not my normal operating mode). This is the same issue I have with the 'new' messaging for band changes in the VUF/UHF contest mode.

The old TAB 2 (I called it Tab 1 for dummies) had a separate free text line that did not autofill. Load it. Punch it. Send it.

My solution would be to have a say TX7, not in the auto sequence queue, just for free text massages.

RonĀ  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-X Improved 2.5.4, JTAlert 2.50.9, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.391
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Reino Talarmo

Thanks Ron, the autofill was your issue. By the way the typical time for a free text is the "73" message. So if you have sent "73" or "RR73", then a new autofill should not harm, I think.
Unless you want to send another free text after receiving "73" from the QSO partner. For sure that feature is not a part of the auto-sequence as it is not described in the User Guide 7.1. Standard Exchange. The auto-sequence considers that you have completed your previous QSO and continues with the next station calling you as you have re-activated Enable Tx and selected Tx 5. At least I could repeat that using three computers. I did not logged the QSO, if that matters.
Have you tried not to activate Call 1st? What happens, if only Auto seq is activated, Call 1st is blank? I was able to send Tx 5 text even after receiving "73", when I had Tx 5 activated. An auto-fill did not happened although there was another station waiting.
In my test after sending the extra TNX 73 GL wsjt-x answered automatically to the new caller even without the Call 1st activated, when I just activated Enable Tx.
73, Reino OH3mA