locked FT8 Free text #FT8

Greg Cook

Hi,
I think this is specific to FT8 with regard to free text faciltiy but could be wrong, and apologies if this has been addressed before (did a search).
OK, I have been using the free text box 13 characters to include tiny conversational input by replying to "RR73" with "GREG100DIP 73" (assuming I called the guy). The content is hopefully self evident. My query is that I never get a response and wonder whether:

1) The 13 char free text relies on stronger FEC or whatever so that it may often not get through
2) Since the other guy's call is not included then perhaps the text doesn't light up in colour on the other guy's screen so is missed (to include call would severely limit already severely limited text field). But in that case the freq would be the same at least and the text would occur in the Rx frequency box which would help identify it
3) It's boring so never gets attention, but then conventional qso's generally include some additional info (excluding contest stuff)

I feel like I'm missing something here. Thoughts?

Greg g4cui

Reino Talarmo

1) The 13 char free text relies on stronger FEC or whatever so that it may often not get through
The very same FEC and error detection are used as for any other message, so that's not a reason

2) Since the other guy's call is not included then perhaps the text doesn't light up in colour on the other guy's screen so is missed (to include call would severely limit already severely limited text field). But in that case the freq would be the same at least and the text would occur in the Rx frequency box which would help identify it
Yes, it should be in the RX frequency box.

3) It's boring so never gets attention, but then conventional qso's generally include some additional info (excluding contest stuff)
Most operators are at that moment already ready for calling CQ, answering another call or tail-ending somebody, hi! Seeing something that is unexpected and answering to it would require a lost transmission and reception timeslot and typing or selecting a pre-stored message is not so inviting, sorry.

73, Reino OH3mA

Bill, WB6JJJ

I get these comments once in a while, especially from friends. I think the lack of response is because most people don’t know how to use this feature.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Feb 5, 2022, at 11:29 AM, Greg Cook via groups.io <dpgumby5226@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave Garber

I personally dont find ft8 /ft4 as a "ragchew" type mode, so I dont expect
anything other than the RRR or RR73, then move on, or qsy. I think the
reason you dont get an answer may be that very reason, or if you are not
sending on HIS frequency, he may not even see it..

I have notice many using free form, but do they expect an answer, like ok
tnx 73??? i don't know. and honestly, unless you are /qrp, anything
over 5 watts to 1500 watts is you choice. I use most around 45-55 watts
but dont advertise it .. I just move on...

you could also try using the jtalert chat ( if the qso partner is online)
they may respond, or not

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE