locked FT8 Grid Locator UDP Forwarding #QSO_practices

David

Is there a way of configuring WSJT-X FT8 so that it sends (a) 6 character Grid Locator (AAnnaa) if available or (b) a blank Grid Locator?

I currently delete the 'DX Grid' before saving a QSO that is to be forwarded to HRD Logbook. HRD then does a QRZ.COM lookup and if available populates my logbook with a six character Grid Locator.
--
Regards

David G4NVB

Sam Birnbaum

Hi David,
Just be aware that by doing that you may be recording the wrong grid.
You may want to contact HRD and ask them to enhance their program by add the 2 characters to the first 4 only if the first 4 match what WSJT-X is recording. I know I do that in my program. 

Sam W2JDB

-----Original Message-----
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Feb 4, 2022 8:20 am
Subject: [WSJTX] FT8 Grid Locator UDP Forwarding #QSO_practices

Is there a way of configuring WSJT-X FT8 so that it sends (a)  6 character Grid Locator (AAnnaa) if available or (b) a blank Grid Locator?

I currently delete the 'DX Grid' before saving a QSO that is to be forwarded to HRD Logbook. HRD then does a QRZ.COM lookup and if available populates my logbook with a six character Grid Locator.
--
Regards

David G4NVB

Борис Романов <ux8iw@...>

Hi David,
There were cases where the locator from QRZ.COM did not match the correspondent's actual locator.
Therefore, the automatic replacement of the locator should be approached with some care.
When writing QSOs in parallel to an external log, it is always possible to change the locator to data from
search resources (QRZ .COM, eQSL, etc.)
73 Boris UX8IW
Пятница, 4 февраля 2022, 21:44 +02:00 от David via groups.io <dpgh_forum@...>:

Is there a way of configuring WSJT-X FT8 so that it sends (a) 6 character Grid Locator (AAnnaa) if available or (b) a blank Grid Locator?

--
Regards

David G4NVB

--
Борис Романов

David

Hi Sam,

Good point, I will ask HRD to consider populating the 2 missing characters if the first 4 match WSJT-X.

All understood being aware of recording the wrong grid, that has happened to me so I keep an eye on it.

Reino Talarmo

Hi David,
Also those two missing characters may not match with the actual six character locator in special cases, if the operator does not update e.g. QRZ.com each time he moves to a new locator grid. That may happen in special cases events or special nature locations, which happen to be in the same four character grid.

In any case that 4 character match is relevant test.

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of David via groups.io
Sent: 5. helmikuutata 2022 10:45
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] FT8 Grid Locator UDP Forwarding #QSO_practices

Hi Sam,

Good point, I will ask HRD to consider populating the 2 missing characters if the first 4 match WSJT-X.

All understood being aware of recording the wrong grid, that has happened to me so I keep an eye on it.

David

Hi Sam,

What I tend to do now is look at the Locator in WSJT-X before I delete it and then save the QSO to HRD making sure that the 1st four characters match. If they don't then I adjust accordingly. Using this method saves having to amend each QSO, just the odd one that doesn't match.

Regards
David G4NVB

Tony Collett

Surely you should log whatever was sent over the air at the time of the QSO??
One would hope that the other station knows where he is transmitting from and is transmitting the correct locator at the time not what may be recorded in QRZ.com which may or may not be correct information.
If HRD can't accept what WSJT sends it via UDP then perhaps time to look for another logging program that does?

Regards
Tony G4NBS

David

Tony,

It's not that HRD can't accept what WSJT sends via UDP. WSJT sends a 4 character Grid Locator and I like to store a 6 character Grid Locator for more accurate Distance Calculations (mainly UK Distances). So I have to manually get that information from QRZ.COM if it's (a) available and (b) if the 1st 4 characters of Grid Locator match. It's much easier to delete the Grid Locator before forwarding to HRD and let HRD poll QRZ.COM. I monitor this process to see if the 1st 4 characters of Grid Locator match WSJT-X and if not reinstate the original 1st 4 characters of the Grid Locator.

Regards
David G4NVB

SteveO

All,
  I have been watching this thread as it is of interest.
  Living in north Texas my home QTH is EM13, when doing POTA at Eisenhower State Park it is also EM13.  If i transmit from our vacation property in Oklahoma, it is also EM13.
  Either through ignorance or inconvenience it never crossed my mind to temporarily update my QRZ location when out.   
  I have played with WSPR while driving and will use UDP message to update my grid while in motion from my YCAT application in an upcoming version based on calculation from GPS receiver.
   One of my common mistakes is forgetting to change my grid when first arriving at POTA location or when resetting up at home QTH.   Never thought QRZ was a piece of the puzzle to consider.
Best regards -73,    Steve.  KC5NK
On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 1:26 PM, Reino Talarmo<reino.talarmo@...> wrote: Hi David,
Also those two missing characters may not match with the actual six character locator in special cases, if the operator does not update e.g. QRZ.com each time he moves to a new locator grid. That may happen in special cases events or special nature locations, which happen to be in the same four character grid.

In any case that 4 character match is relevant test.

73, Reino OH3mA

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of David via groups.io
Sent: 5. helmikuutata 2022 10:45
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] FT8 Grid Locator UDP Forwarding #QSO_practices

Hi Sam,

All understood being aware of recording the wrong grid, that has happened  to me so I keep an eye on it.

Tony Collett

OK David - now understand the reasoning and the problem HI!

If you use LOTW Steve I guess you upload your logbook with the different station locations that give the appropriate 6 digit Grid?
When my logbook downloads the confirmations from LOTW it has the option of updating the grid if I let it, bit after the QSO but at least the log eventually should get the correct info. Not sure how you would manage QRZ entry when you are continually moving about though?

With so many different sources of information and electronic confirmation I am glad I haven't moved around much!

Tony G4NBS

SteveO

Tony,
  My routine is to move adif file to QRZ followed by exporting QRZ to LOTW.  Funny, I trust WSJT-x to log the 6 character gridsquare and further that it propagates through QRZ/LOTW.
  I will check if my assumptions are correct.
73, de Steve, KC5NK
On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 9:07 PM, Tony Collett via groups.io<tony.nbs@...> wrote: OK David - now understand the reasoning and the problem HI!

If you use LOTW Steve I guess you upload your logbook with the different station locations that give the appropriate 6 digit Grid?
When my logbook downloads the confirmations from LOTW it has the option of updating the grid if I let it, bit after the QSO but at least the log eventually should get the correct info. Not sure how you would manage QRZ entry when you are continually moving about though?

With so many different sources of information and electronic confirmation I am glad I haven't moved around much!

Tony G4NBS