locked Help - mis-key of USP server address - unable to run WSJT-X #stopped_working #WSJTX_config Windows 10 #stopped_working #WSJTX_config

Ron

I have been using WSJT-X on my Windows 10 PC with FT8 now for some time and having a blast.

I recently discovered an app for Android that allows alerts from WSJT-X to send alerts to my phone.

In the process of setting up the UDP settings, I changed the wrong entry and to make matters worse, I fat-fingered a port setting as 1277.0.0.1 instead of 127.0.0.1.

Now every time I try to run WSJT-X I get the following error:

Network Error

Error: UDP server DNS lookup failed: Host not found
1277.0.0..1:2237

I only have the option to cancel or retry - neither allows me to get to the WSJT-X main menu to correct my error.

I tried to uninstall WSJT-X from the Control Panel "Programs & Features" menu, but when I reinstall, I get the same error. I'm guessing that there is some leftover file, or System Registry issue, but I'm not sure what to do to correct the issue

Any help would be appreciated.

73,

Ron - KJ5Xx

Reino Talarmo

Hi Ron,
Most probably that wrong information is in the wsjt-x.ini file that is in the log directory. That user directory is kept at program uninstall for obvious reason. You can normally go to that directory as explained in User Guide 15.1. File locations or simply in wsjt-x hit File | Open log directory, but in your situation you need to navigate there otherwise.
You may rename the wsjt-x.ini and restart wsjt-x and a new wsjt-x.ini is prepared for you, but all settings are lost. Or if you are brave enough open the wsjt-x.ini file in a text editor, locate the error, correct it and save the file. Be careful as Windows easily adds extension ".txt" for text files.
73, Reino OH3mA

Dave Garber <ve3wej@...>

make sure you do not a fresh restart before trying the uninstall, but
easier might be to find the ini file, and remove or rename it, and have
wsjt start fresh..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:03 AM Ron <ron@...> wrote:

[...]

Excellent, thanks for that info. I looked for a .ini file, but apparently
missed it.

Great info. Thanks,

73,

Ron - KJ5XX

On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 2:04 AM Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...>
wrote:

Hi Ron,
Most probably that wrong information is in the wsjt-x.ini file that is in
the log directory. That user directory is kept at program uninstall for
obvious reason. You can normally go to that directory as explained in User
Guide 15.1. File locations or simply in wsjt-x hit File | Open log
directory, but in your situation you need to navigate there otherwise.
You may rename the wsjt-x.ini and restart wsjt-x and a new wsjt-x.ini is
prepared for you, but all settings are lost. Or if you are brave enough
open the wsjt-x.ini file in a text editor, locate the error, correct it and
save the file. Be careful as Windows easily adds extension ".txt" for text
files.
73, Reino OH3mA

Ron

Reino:

Yep that was the issue. I carefully edited the .ini file & we're back in
business.