locked Items for sale. Items offered free. Enhancement requests. Moderator's comments and request for comments #special

Roger

Good evening

There were many useful comments regarding "items offered free" including some sent privately.

Some concerns regarding fraud were expressed. I am also aware that some members have registered using throwaway email addresses which are unverified. Many of them appear to be unmonitored. In view of this I have decided to include items offered for free to the ban of items for sale.

I am aware that an item for sale crept through earlier today. I have blocked the thread, deleted the message from the archive. I apologise for this.

This forum is no longer monitored by the development team.

I am wondering if we should retain the enhancement requests as they are taking up a lot of bandwidth to no avail. Your comments would be appreciated.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
moderator

Robie - AJ4F

Roger,

My view:

1. not allowing items for sale or available free is acceptable to me.

2. I was not aware that the developers no longer monitored this list and
feel this is a negative for the community.

3. How should WSJT-X users contact the developers? Via direct email?

4. Since the list is no longer monitored by the developers enhancement
requests are of much less value. I feel there is potential value in
several users discussing and developing a potential enhancement via this
list prior to forwarding it to the developers for consideration via
another path.

Robie AJ4F

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 3:33 PM Roger <groups@...> wrote:

[...]

Pietro Molina

Although I haven't been going through the list for long, I can see that more often it deals with help for newbies or support on HW/OS issues.
This is a great help for developers because users help other users who would otherwise turn to them. But it makes the list uninteresting for them.
It may be time to divide the list into two: "proposals/discussions" and "requests for help", to make the first attractive for developers.

Pietro I2OIM

MikeMc -- KA5TDA

What does the developers monitor?

Curt - KC9CTP

My comments

I agree with Mr. Roger on the items for sale/free being banned from the group.

I am concerned that the developers no longer monitor the list. Have the developers stated a reason for them to no longer monitor the group? Would a separate section for discussion of possible enhancements bring them back? Do they have an official avenue for contact with suggestions for enhancements/issues?

I agree with Mr Pietro on possibly having separate sections for enhancements and help. I ask if it would be possible to separate the help out into sections for Windows-Mac-Linux, so people could look on the system that they are using, or ask for the system that they are using. I do understand that this could make a lot more work for the moderators, so that is also a consideration too. I would not want to increase the moderators workload if possible.

I have learned a lot through this group from the questions that other have posted, so I would like to see the group continue with the help section.

Just my $0.02

Curt
KC9CTP

Roger

On 01/02/2022 15:24, Curt - KC9CTP wrote:
My comments
I agree with Mr. Roger on the items for sale/free being banned from the group.
I am concerned that the developers no longer monitor the list. Have the developers stated a reason for them to no longer monitor the group? Would a separate section for discussion of possible enhancements bring them back? Do they have an official avenue for contact with suggestions for enhancements/issues?
Bill, G4WJS, was very active here until he became SK.

I agree with Mr Pietro on possibly having separate sections for enhancements and help. I ask if it would be possible to separate the help out into sections for Windows-Mac-Linux, so people could look on the system that they are using, or ask for the system that they are using. I do understand that this could make a lot more work for the moderators, so that is also a consideration too. I would not want to increase the moderators workload if possible.
I have learned a lot through this group from the questions that other have posted, so I would like to see the group continue with the help section.
Just my $0.02
Curt
KC9CTP

Gilbert Baron

The for sale and free things have not been a bother in my opinion. Keep them or not but I say it is inconsequential. The developers not following this is a much much much larger minus.

Outlook LT Gil W0MN
Hierro Candente Batir de Repente
44.08226 N 92.51265 W EN34rb

--
W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Reino Talarmo

Hi Pietro, Curt and All

Well, that kind of issue division could be useful. Perhaps suitable hashtags could do that without a complete list division. We should remember that there is already a separate developers list [wsjtx-devel] for the feature requests.

We can and we should discuss and comment potential new features on [WSJTX] list before feeding them to the development list. Of course that should not be mandatory and anybody is invited to go directly to the developers list as well. A more wider discussion on our current list may improve contents and presentation of a new feature before it is presented in the development list.

The wsjt-x is designed to work with all those operating system Windows, Linux and MacOS. So the enhancements should be common to all of those. There may be operating system specific implementation or setting problems that so require operating system specific knowledge. Most, if not all, of it hidden by Qt.

My 2 cents
73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

scot mackeil

N1JSM - suggest that unverified emails not be allowed to register in this group. as licensed HAMs we are all in the FCC database and have nothing to hide.

no reason to use an unverified throw away email in a private group IMHO... exchanging wsjtx related gear for free or sale is an important aspect of hobby ???

Roger

On 02/02/2022 17:13, scot mackeil wrote:
N1JSM - suggest that unverified emails not be allowed to register in this group. as licensed HAMs we are all in the FCC database and have nothing to hide.I agree but unfortunately we have members with unverified email
addresses and I'm not sure how to do anything about it now.

Only those under the jurisdiction of the FCC are in the FCC database.
no reason to use an unverified throw away email in a private group IMHO... exchanging wsjtx related gear for free or sale is an important aspect of hobby ???
I was prepared to allow gear for free but some of the feedback raised
the possibility fraud but the knowledge we have non-verified members convinced this was undesirable.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
moderator