locked Just compiled WSJT-X on Ubuntu 20.04 and it crashes on "Tune" #wsjt-x-crashing


Zachrey
 

I just compiled hamlib and wsjtx on Ubuntu 20.04 and amazingly, it completed the process. It took about 2 hours of focused effort to copy and paste the commands from the webpage:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/files/Linux/Ubuntu/

It involved downloading gigabytes of libraries and something called Qt 5.15.2.

After it compiled and installed, I simply typed in a terminal "wsjtx" and it executed!! I am able to feed in the audio from the Xiegu G90 (no cat control, just audio going into the microphone jack on the laptop and "rig" is set to "None" in WSJT-X "Settings" dialog) and see a beautiful waterfall display and piles of stations pouring in on the band activity pane.

With htop running, and I press "Tune" for the first time, the CPU usage was normal, but I did not check to see if there was audio coming out of the headphones port. But now when I run wsjtx again, the CPU goes to 100% as soon as I press "Tune" and I have to kill it using sigterm on the htop interface.

I can also click on "Tune" button again and it goes out like expected BUT the CPU is STILL pegged at 100% AND the waterfall display halts AND no more stations coming in on Band Activity pane. The lower left status box shows "Receiving" on a green background.

and the animated blue countdown bar in the lower right (1 through 15/15)is still going.
One time on the original "canned" install I saw the lower left status box say something like "Tx Watchdog timeout" with a red background. Maybe that is a clue??

I could REALLY use some help. I tried to make a boot-able flash drive with Andy's Ham Radio Linux and that went nowhere since I could not make the flash drive bootable even with Ubuntu 20.04's nifty "Startup Disk Maker" tool. I do not know how to download the ISO file to Windows7 laptop and make it boot off of that.

The canned wsjtx which I had initially installed had essentially the excat same problem as the freshly compiled version with the latest everything on it. I am stopped at this point.

Asus K52F running Ubuntu 20.04.

Do I need to use a different laptop? Should I try to install Windows 7 on my laptop and leave Linux? Should I install WineHD on Ubuntu??


Jeff Stillinger
 

Why not just download and install the compiled binary package for Ubuntu 20?

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

On 1/14/22 01:51, Zachrey via groups.io wrote:
I just compiled hamlib and wsjtx on Ubuntu 20.04 and amazingly, it completed the process. It took about 2 hours of focused effort to copy and paste the commands from the webpage:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/files/Linux/Ubuntu/

It involved downloading gigabytes of libraries and something called Qt 5.15.2.

After it compiled and installed, I simply typed in a terminal "wsjtx" and it executed!! I am able to feed in the audio from the Xiegu G90 (no cat control, just audio going into the microphone jack on the laptop and "rig" is set to "None" in WSJT-X "Settings" dialog) and see a beautiful waterfall display and piles of stations pouring in on the band activity pane.

With htop running, and I press "Tune" for the first time, the CPU usage was normal, but I did not check to see if there was audio coming out of the headphones port. But now when I run wsjtx again, the CPU goes to 100% as soon as I press "Tune" and I have to kill it using sigterm on the htop interface.

I can also click on "Tune" button again and it goes out like expected BUT the CPU is STILL pegged at 100% AND the waterfall display halts AND no more stations coming in on Band Activity pane. The lower left status box shows "Receiving" on a green background.

and the animated blue countdown bar in the lower right (1 through 15/15)is still going.
One time on the original "canned" install I saw the lower left status box say something like "Tx Watchdog timeout" with a red background. Maybe that is a clue??

I could REALLY use some help. I tried to make a boot-able flash drive with Andy's Ham Radio Linux and that went nowhere since I could not make the flash drive bootable even with Ubuntu 20.04's nifty "Startup Disk Maker" tool. I do not know how to download the ISO file to Windows7 laptop and make it boot off of that.

The canned wsjtx which I had initially installed had essentially the excat same problem as the freshly compiled version with the latest everything on it. I am stopped at this point.

Asus K52F running Ubuntu 20.04.

Do I need to use a different laptop? Should I try to install Windows 7 on my laptop and leave Linux? Should I install WineHD on Ubuntu??



--
Jeff Stillinger
KB6IBB Laboratories, Wylie Texas
http://kb6ibb-15.ham-radio-op.net/Ham-Radio/


d_ziolkowski
 

Jeff-

How are you invoking ptt on the radio? It sounds as if you are only set up
to receive.

If that's the case, perhaps doing a TUNE without a radio on the other end
is causing a problem.

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Jeff Stillinger via groups.io <kb6ibb=
zohomail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Why not just download and install the compiled binary package for Ubuntu
20?

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html



On 1/14/22 01:51, Zachrey via groups.io wrote:
I just compiled hamlib and wsjtx on Ubuntu 20.04 and amazingly, it
completed the process. It took about 2 hours of focused effort to copy and
paste the commands from the webpage:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/files/Linux/Ubuntu/

It involved downloading gigabytes of libraries and something called Qt
5.15.2.

After it compiled and installed, I simply typed in a terminal "wsjtx"
and it executed!! I am able to feed in the audio from the Xiegu G90 (no cat
control, just audio going into the microphone jack on the laptop and "rig"
is set to "None" in WSJT-X "Settings" dialog) and see a beautiful waterfall
display and piles of stations pouring in on the band activity pane.

With htop running, and I press "Tune" for the first time, the CPU usage
was normal, but I did not check to see if there was audio coming out of the
headphones port. But now when I run wsjtx again, the CPU goes to 100% as
soon as I press "Tune" and I have to kill it using sigterm on the htop
interface.

I can also click on "Tune" button again and it goes out like expected
BUT the CPU is STILL pegged at 100% AND the waterfall display halts AND no
more stations coming in on Band Activity pane. The lower left status box
shows "Receiving" on a green background.

and the animated blue countdown bar in the lower right (1 through
15/15)is still going.
One time on the original "canned" install I saw the lower left status
box say something like "Tx Watchdog timeout" with a red background. Maybe
that is a clue??

I could REALLY use some help. I tried to make a boot-able flash drive
with Andy's Ham Radio Linux and that went nowhere since I could not make
the flash drive bootable even with Ubuntu 20.04's nifty "Startup Disk
Maker" tool. I do not know how to download the ISO file to Windows7 laptop
and make it boot off of that.

The canned wsjtx which I had initially installed had essentially the
excat same problem as the freshly compiled version with the latest
everything on it. I am stopped at this point.

Asus K52F running Ubuntu 20.04.

Do I need to use a different laptop? Should I try to install Windows 7
on my laptop and leave Linux? Should I install WineHD on Ubuntu??




--
Jeff Stillinger
KB6IBB Laboratories, Wylie Texas
http://kb6ibb-15.ham-radio-op.net/Ham-Radio/






--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX


d_ziolkowski
 

sorry i meant Zachary...

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:47 AM Dan Ziolkowski <dan.ziolkowski@gmail.com>
wrote:

Jeff-

How are you invoking ptt on the radio? It sounds as if you are only set up
to receive.

If that's the case, perhaps doing a TUNE without a radio on the other end
is causing a problem.

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:13 AM Jeff Stillinger via groups.io <kb6ibb=
zohomail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Why not just download and install the compiled binary package for Ubuntu
20?

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html



On 1/14/22 01:51, Zachrey via groups.io wrote:
I just compiled hamlib and wsjtx on Ubuntu 20.04 and amazingly, it
completed the process. It took about 2 hours of focused effort to copy and
paste the commands from the webpage:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/files/Linux/Ubuntu/

It involved downloading gigabytes of libraries and something called Qt
5.15.2.

After it compiled and installed, I simply typed in a terminal "wsjtx"
and it executed!! I am able to feed in the audio from the Xiegu G90 (no cat
control, just audio going into the microphone jack on the laptop and "rig"
is set to "None" in WSJT-X "Settings" dialog) and see a beautiful waterfall
display and piles of stations pouring in on the band activity pane.

With htop running, and I press "Tune" for the first time, the CPU usage
was normal, but I did not check to see if there was audio coming out of the
headphones port. But now when I run wsjtx again, the CPU goes to 100% as
soon as I press "Tune" and I have to kill it using sigterm on the htop
interface.

I can also click on "Tune" button again and it goes out like expected
BUT the CPU is STILL pegged at 100% AND the waterfall display halts AND no
more stations coming in on Band Activity pane. The lower left status box
shows "Receiving" on a green background.

and the animated blue countdown bar in the lower right (1 through
15/15)is still going.
One time on the original "canned" install I saw the lower left status
box say something like "Tx Watchdog timeout" with a red background. Maybe
that is a clue??

I could REALLY use some help. I tried to make a boot-able flash drive
with Andy's Ham Radio Linux and that went nowhere since I could not make
the flash drive bootable even with Ubuntu 20.04's nifty "Startup Disk
Maker" tool. I do not know how to download the ISO file to Windows7 laptop
and make it boot off of that.

The canned wsjtx which I had initially installed had essentially the
excat same problem as the freshly compiled version with the latest
everything on it. I am stopped at this point.

Asus K52F running Ubuntu 20.04.

Do I need to use a different laptop? Should I try to install Windows 7
on my laptop and leave Linux? Should I install WineHD on Ubuntu??




--
Jeff Stillinger
KB6IBB Laboratories, Wylie Texas
http://kb6ibb-15.ham-radio-op.net/Ham-Radio/






--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX


Zachrey
 

Hi Jeff! Sorry I was not clear on my original message. It was late at night.

I tried to install wsjtx from the binary package for Ubuntu 18.04 and it would not function at all. I almost installed WineHD on my Ubuntu 18.04 but decided against it since it involved over a gigabyte of downloads to install WineHD, which allows you to run Windows 7 and Windows 10 executables on Ubuntu. I read that people had better success on Ubuntu 20.04, so I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and then installed wsjtx again and it installed in 5 seconds flat! I was quite impressed!
Once I got the Xiegu G90 into USB mode and turned off AGC, stations just started pouring in like crazy!! I was pulling stations from ALL OVER THE WORLD!! So I played around with that for a day or so and then I wanted to transmit. So I clicked on "Tune" and the WSJT-X immediately crashed, pegging the CPU at 100%. I was forced to kill the process since clicking on exit, although it made the WSJT-X window go away, the CPU was still maxed out.

Then I read the documentation at:
https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.4.html#INSTALL_LINUX

that says,
"If the binary package is not compatible with your Linux distribution or version, you must build the application from sources. "

So I assumed this was the case and started copying and pasting cryptic commands found at:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib-sdk/files/Linux/Ubuntu/

and in the wee hours of the morning, I was actually able to compile WSJT-X from source code! I thought that was pretty neat but it added gigabytes of libraries and stuff to my rapidly filling up hard disk.

I ran the program and it behaved pretty much exactly the same way, unfortunately. But the first time I ran the program, I clicked on "Tune" and it DID NOT crash! I thought I had finally made it through the tunnel of despair! But I forgot to ascertain whether anything was coming out of the headphone jack. I turned it off and turned it back on again and it crashed. SO I only got about 5 to 10 seconds of usable software when you click on "Tune". But ever since that, the program always immediately crashes at 100% CPU.

So I am not sure if it is the laptop that is at fault? Or something else?? I am stopped at this point.

I have made "bootable" USB thumbdrives before and I tried to make one for "Andy's Ham Radio Linux" and it absolutely refuses to boot on my Asus K52F Ubuntu 20.04 laptop or my Windows 7 Lenovo Thnikpad T520. Andy'd Linus is supposed to have a working copy of WSJT-X on it along with a bunch of other ham goodies.

Andy recommended making your boot USB drive from a program called MultiBootUSB. SO I was going to try and get that to work on Ubuntu 20.04 but it looks like the project died about 4 years ago so I cannot find an executable and most likely trying to compile from source code would not work. I couldn't even begin to tell you where to start to compile it.

--
Zac Helmberger
KI5SOH


Zachrey
 

Hi Dan!

Thank you for replying!!

In settings, I have radio set to "None" and the PTT Method is set to VOX. I think this is the default config. Everything should be defaults since I do not think I monkeyed with any settings other than selecting the band and clicking on Monitor, Stop, Erase and Tune.

One thing that is kind of concerning is that I did a apt remove autoremove purge command in bash and it still remembers the call sign of the last person I double clicked on in the Band Activity window. I thought purge was supposed to take care of that. Is there a way to force everything back to all defaults?

--
Zac Helmberger
KI5SOH


Karza
 

Zac,

...
One thing that is kind of concerning is that I did a apt remove autoremove purge command in bash and it still remembers the call sign of the last person I double clicked on in the Band Activity window. I thought purge was supposed to take care of that.
APT tool does not know WSJT-X's settins.

Is there a way to force everything back to all defaults?
You can delete WSJT-X.ini in directory ~/.config to reset your settings and directory ~/.local/share/WSJT-X to erase all other WSJT-X data.


73's de Kari, oh2gqc


Zachrey
 

Hi Karza!!

Thank you so much for replying!!

I found the ini file in ./config and deleted it. I restarted WSJT-X and I plugged in the sound from the radio and nothing happened. I checked File->Settings ->Audio and noticed the drop down selections for Soundcard Inputs and Outputs were blank so I selected "default" for both. At this point, I think I got something on the audio level bar but it was not decoding anything. Then I switched the Mode from JT9 to FT8 and then adjusted the "Microphone" volume level slider in Ubuntu 20.04 upper right until the wsjtx sound level meter was around "60".

At this point stations started pouring in like mad! Big smile!
But unfortunately, as it always does, the minute I click on "Tune" it crashes.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 01:52 PM, Karza wrote:


WSJT-X.ini
--
Zac Helmberger
KI5SOH


Zachrey
 

BTW, I found some FT4 traffic at 14.080 and changed the mode to FT4 and then hit "Tune" but it still crashes.

--
Zac Helmberger
KI5SOH


d_ziolkowski
 

What happens if you call cq without hitting tune.

Dan KC2STA

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 4:31 PM Zachrey via groups.io <zachrey_ca=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Karza!!

Thank you so much for replying!!

I found the ini file in ./config and deleted it. I restarted WSJT-X and I
plugged in the sound from the radio and nothing happened. I checked
File->Settings ->Audio and noticed the drop down selections for Soundcard
Inputs and Outputs were blank so I selected "default" for both. At this
point, I think I got something on the audio level bar but it was not
decoding anything. Then I switched the Mode from JT9 to FT8 and then
adjusted the "Microphone" volume level slider in Ubuntu 20.04 upper right
until the wsjtx sound level meter was around "60".

At this point stations started pouring in like mad! Big smile!
But unfortunately, as it always does, the minute I click on "Tune" it
crashes.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 01:52 PM, Karza wrote:


WSJT-X.ini

--
Zac Helmberger
KI5SOH





--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX


Karza
 

Hi Zac,

What have you selected as audio output in "Settings => Audio"?
What options do you see in that dropdown list?

'Kari

On 14.1.2022 23.31, Zachrey via groups.io wrote:
Hi Karza!!

Thank you so much for replying!!

I found the ini file in ./config and deleted it. I restarted WSJT-X and I plugged in the sound from the radio and nothing happened. I checked File->Settings ->Audio and noticed the drop down selections for Soundcard Inputs and Outputs were blank so I selected "default" for both. At this point, I think I got something on the audio level bar but it was not decoding anything. Then I switched the Mode from JT9 to FT8 and then adjusted the "Microphone" volume level slider in Ubuntu 20.04 upper right until the wsjtx sound level meter was around "60".

At this point stations started pouring in like mad! Big smile!
But unfortunately, as it always does, the minute I click on "Tune" it crashes.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 01:52 PM, Karza wrote:

WSJT-X.ini