locked Meinberg issue #Timesync

Jacques Pecourt

Meinberg ver. 4.28p13 installed on W10-64 in C:\\Tools\NTP

I have been using this program for the last 2 years with no issues, but now
the display suddenly changed the content I was used to seeing. It now shows
only 2 servers, one in Finland and the other in Hungary ! What happened to
the 3 US I was perfectly happy with ?

The problem is that it now takes 15 minutes or more to get lousy offsets. I
spent hours reading all I can find to correct this situation with no
solution. I also noticed that the ntp.config file has nothing in it that
makes sense. Just another panel (1.81 Kb ) with the option to “OPEN” that
opens nothing. No trace of anything like server 0. Us.pool.ntp.org 1, 2,
3.

Is there any way I can bring that config file back to what it was or do I
need to re-install the program from scratch ? Any help would be
appreciated. Thank you.

Jacques F2YS/W2

Martin G0HDB

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 07:58 PM, Jacques Pecourt wrote:

Meinberg ver. 4.28p13 installed on W10-64 in C:\\Tools\NTP
[Snipped]

Is there any way I can bring that config file back to what it was or do I
need to re-install the program from scratch ? Any help would be
appreciated. Thank you.
Hello Jacques, sorry to hear about your issues with Meinberg.

The obvious solution to your apparent problem with the ntp.conf file (NB - that's what it's called, not ntp.config) would be to restore a previous version from a backup, but of course that assumes you've got a backup...!!

The alternative would be to do a re-install, using the most recent version which is ntp-4.2.8p15-v2 - as well as being the up-to-date version of the NTP app it has some important security updates (including to OpenSSL). Doing a complete re-install would also enable you to generate a new ntp.conf file that you could then edit to include the US pool servers that you were accessing previously.

You haven't mentioned it, but are you using the Meinberg Time Server Monitor utility app for checking what the NTP app is doing? The utility includes the ability to edit the ntp.conf file; if you're not already using the utility then it might be worth installing it and using it to see exactly what is in your ntp.conf file.

Sorry I can't offer an explanation of what might have happened to your existing installation of Meinberg; I hope you soon manage to get the app behaving correctly again.

Martin G0HDB

Jacques Pecourt

Thank you so much Martin for the timely answer and also suggesting that I
use the Time server monitor that was unknown to me. Very precious
information and suggestions. I will let you know later how I made out.
Stay well, best regards and 73.
Jacques F2YS/W2

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 16:49, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:

[...]

Chet, N8RA

Hello Jacques,

I recently used the latest Meinberg file ntp-4.2.8p15-v2-win32-setup to get up-to-date.

It erased the old file automatically, and I then also followed some old instructions.

During the installation, I got to the window stating "Files have been installed".
There, in my old instructions it was advised that "NTP can create an initial configuration for you using servers from the NTP Pool based on your geographic location. You should allow it to do this, as it saves you the task of choosing which servers to use. Ensure the box "Create an initial..." is checked, and select your nearest country or region from the drop-down list." I chose the U.S., and that is what I got.

Perhaps that can do what you wish.

73,
Chet, N8RA

[...]

Thank you Chet for taking the time to reply to my question on the subject
matter. . Yes definitely, as Martin G0HDB suggested, I need to re-install
this program with an updated version.
I still have the old instructions and the password I used 2 years ago and
recognized the point specific to the "icreate an initial configuration".
.This is not a complicated task.
73,
Jacques, F2YS/W2