locked FT8 Contacts #decode #WSJTX_config

Neil Foster

Well I hope all had a Happy and HEALTHY Holiday. Before some pundit flames with the wonderful "RTFM" please be advised I have!. I have noticed several times when a contact shows that I have been acknoledge by the station and the red ack appears. I respond but after several times of my response I stop the TX. In a number of cases I have told it to log the QSO. After I have uploaded to LOTW I find that indeed there was a match posted and a confirmation. However I never saw the RR or RR 73 and the Pop Up window to log the contact. Why is that? Many thanks and a Happy HEALTHY New Year....Neil N4FN

Michael Black

Because sometimes you don't see the RR73 they sent (and they logged it at that time).
I've seen that happen a few times....it's also why the "rule" is to only use RR73 when you are confident of a solid exchange (good dB) but nobody pays any attention to that.
It's almost like we need to have WSJT-X automatically disable the RR73 if the dB is less then maybe -16dB.  Even then fading can still happen.
If you have record of those QSOs can you show the received dB report you got on their TX1/TX2 message?
Mike W9MDB

On Friday, December 31, 2021, 02:48:56 AM CST, Neil Foster <archernf@...> wrote:

Well I hope all had a Happy and HEALTHY Holiday. Before some pundit flames with the wonderful "RTFM" please be advised I have!. I have noticed several times when a contact shows that I have been acknoledge by the station and the red ack appears. I respond but after several times of my response I stop the TX. In a number of cases I have told it to log the QSO. After I have uploaded to LOTW I find that indeed there was a match posted and a confirmation. However I never saw the RR or RR 73 and the Pop Up window to log the contact. Why is that? Many thanks and a Happy HEALTHY New Year....Neil  N4FN

WB5JJJ - George

Mike, I like that idea of reverting to RRR on weak signals. Then after the Log QSO, it can go back to RR73. Maybe it might happen someday.

--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Sam Birnbaum

There is a problem that when using mode FT4, WSJT-X disables the ability to use RRR.
As explained in one of the previous emails, even during a single QSO, the signalvariance within that short time period can sometimes be greater than 1 standard deviation. If the mean is -18 or worse and 1 standard deviation of -6 or worse, the mean may be actually skewed to the positive as you can't calculate with values that you never decoded.
Happy and a healthy New Year to one and all.  73,
Sam W2JDB