locked Sudden Hamlib Error- Out of Nowhere! #Cat_RigControl


Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ
 

All of a sudden, tonight, I'm getting this hamlib error:

Hamlib error: IO error
kenwood_open: cannot get identification
kenwood.c(885):kenwood_open return(-6)
rig.c(1031):rig_open return(-6) while opening connection to rig
Timestamp: 2021-12-30T03:12:24.997Z

It just started- been fine for months with no errors. I updated to WSJT-X V2.5.2 when it came out, so that's how long this software has been installed with no problems. Last Windows patches were on patch Tuesday earlier in December- no problems since then.

Rig is a Kenwood TS-140S with serial interface. Sound device is a SignaLink USB. Also running JTAlert V2.50.9. But this happens when WSJT-X is the only software running.

I can't keep them connected- every time I click retry, it reconnects to the radio, then a few seconds later, disconnects. There's no transmitting going on (so no RFI)- this happens on receive.

Thoughts?

--
73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ


Michael Black
 

Double check your serial connection.
Unplug and replug

Possibilities

#1 Connectors loose
#2 Cable failed
#3 Rig serial port failed
#4 USB bus on PC failed

#1 is easy to check
#2 (and #4) test by doing a loopback on pin 2&3 on the DB9 end of cable and see if it echoes 
#3 If #2 works then #3 is a possibility and repair may be needed
#4 test by using another computer or another USB port might work

Did you have to have any thunder storms around the time this failed?  

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 09:36:52 PM CST, Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ <ka2irq@...> wrote:





All of a sudden, tonight, I'm getting this hamlib error:

Hamlib error: IO error
kenwood_open: cannot get identification
kenwood.c(885):kenwood_open return(-6)
rig.c(1031):rig_open return(-6) while opening connection to rig
Timestamp: 2021-12-30T03:12:24.997Z

It just started- been fine for months with no errors.  I updated to WSJT-X V2.5.2 when it came out, so that's how long this software has been installed with no problems.  Last Windows patches were on patch Tuesday earlier in December- no problems since then.

Rig is a Kenwood TS-140S with serial interface.  Sound device is a SignaLink USB.  Also running JTAlert V2.50.9.  But this happens when WSJT-X is the only software running.

I can't keep them connected- every time I click retry, it reconnects to the radio, then a few seconds later, disconnects.  There's no transmitting going on (so no RFI)- this happens on receive.

Thoughts?

--
73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ


Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ
 

No thunderstorms/lightning for several months (summer).

The connections all seem good- weird thing is I fired everything up this morning and it's working like a charm now (knock wood). However, the supplied cable with the Piexx serial board (in the radio) has a very long cable- was thinking of replacing it with a shorter ribbon cable. If the Piexx board is going, a replacement is $100. May pick one up just to have a spare- expensive spare.

This is a serial interface card in the computer, so no USB involved. I'll see if I can pick up a DB9 to USB converter and maybe switch over to USB.

I'll have to try the loopback test.

--
73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ


Bob KM4RL
 

Did you try a power cycle?
I've had several different RS-232 interfaces lock up and reboots did not fix the problem, but
powering off both ends solved it. It was a rare occurrence.

73 de KM4RL Bob


Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ
 

I did, yes- radio and computer were power cycled.

In fact, left it all off overnight - went to bed. The next day, powered everything up and (knock wood) it all worked- haven't had a glitch in two days.

My best guess is the serial card wasn't completely seated correctly in the computer. When I remove the DB9 connector, I can see a slight bit of movement of the card on the computer side. At some point I will open the computer and investigate that. These days, computers do not have the "tie downs" for the cards that they used to have. It's nothing more than a friction-fit.

It does seem like it was a "sync" problem between the two. If the card were "unseated" inside the computer I would think I would have received a Windows error or some indication that the hardware was missing from the OS... but it's Windows so who the heck knows. In "innovating" they may have thought they don't need serial card errors any more.

--
73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ