Locked 2.5.3 Subprocess Error and Shutdown #stopped_working

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Since I installed 2.5.3 I have experienced 3 shutdowns of WSJT-X. I was running FT8 and got this error after each shutdown.
I was also unable to restart WSJT-X immediately, I had to reboot my W10 PC each time to be able to launch the WSJT-X program.
The error message is:
"Sub-process error Failed to close orphaned jt9 process"
--
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX

Roy - W5TKZ

Hi Glen,
Same problem here. Went back to 2.5.2.

Roy - W5TKZ

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Glen Jenkins WB4KTF <wb4ktf@...>
wrote:

Since I installed 2.5.3 I have experienced 3 shutdowns of WSJT-X. I was
running FT8 and got this error after each shutdown.
I was also unable to restart WSJT-X immediately, I had to reboot my W10 PC
each time to be able to launch the WSJT-X program.
The error message is:
"Sub-process error Failed to close orphaned jt9 process"
--
Glen, WB4KTF, Austin, TX

Al Groff

Glenn,
  The 64 bit version of 2.5.3 appears to have a crashing problem when attempting to work some calls containing a '/'.
  1) You can avoid rebooting after the crash if you open the Windows Task Manager and kill  the orphaned jt9 or WSJT process.
  2) The 32 bit version of WSJT 2.5.3 appears to not crash on '/' call signs.  (  Yes you can run 32 bit WSJT on 64 bit Windows. )

AL, K0VM

On 12/22/2021 12:43 PM, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF wrote:
Since I installed 2.5.3 I have experienced 3 shutdowns of WSJT-X. I was running FT8 and got this error after each shutdown.
I was also unable to restart WSJT-X immediately, I had to reboot my W10 PC each time to be able to launch the WSJT-X program.
The error message is:
"Sub-process error Failed to close orphaned jt9 process"

Chris VE3NRT

I've had some sudden shutdowns lately on 2.5.3 as well. The worst one was working HC1MD/2 where it crashed 4 times during a single QSO (I'd like to than HC1MD/2 for his patience). No reboot required, though. Just use task manager and find the JT9 process and "End Task". WSJT-X will restart.

I don't know if the crashes were due to the non-standard call sign. I didn't work any more of those that day (it was yesterday), and had no further trouble.

I am using JT-Alert, Windows-10 and an older Core-i7 without AVX instructions, just in case that is meaningful. I'm trying to build a new PC, but the motherboard I'm looking for is either out of stock, or being sold at profiteer pricing.

73,
Chris VE3NRT

Mike Black

We're working on the problem....
Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021, 04:15:06 PM CST, Chris VE3NRT <dx@...> wrote:

I've had some sudden shutdowns lately on 2.5.3 as well. The worst one was working HC1MD/2 where it crashed 4 times during a single QSO (I'd like to than HC1MD/2 for his patience). No reboot required, though. Just use task manager and find the JT9 process and "End Task". WSJT-X will restart.

I don't know if the crashes were due to the non-standard call sign. I didn't work any more of those that day (it was yesterday), and had no further trouble.

I am using JT-Alert, Windows-10 and an older Core-i7 without AVX instructions, just in case that is meaningful. I'm trying to build a new PC, but the motherboard I'm looking for is either out of stock, or being sold at profiteer pricing.

73,
Chris VE3NRT

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

From everything seen here, it has to do with the forward slash on the
callsign " / ".    Even standard suffixes are seeing issues. Evidently
the 32 bit version does not have this problem.   You could install that,
but then you'd probably have to install the 32 bit SSL library to keep
from getting the LoTW file download error.

You can revert back to v2.5.2

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 12/22/2021 1:02 PM, Chris VE3NRT wrote:
I've had some sudden shutdowns lately on 2.5.3 as well. The worst one was working HC1MD/2 where it crashed 4 times during a single QSO (I'd like to than HC1MD/2 for his patience). No reboot required, though. Just use task manager and find the JT9 process and "End Task". WSJT-X will restart.

I don't know if the crashes were due to the non-standard call sign. I didn't work any more of those that day (it was yesterday), and had no further trouble.

I am using JT-Alert, Windows-10 and an older Core-i7 without AVX instructions, just in case that is meaningful. I'm trying to build a new PC, but the motherboard I'm looking for is either out of stock, or being sold at profiteer pricing.

73,
Chris VE3NRT

Robie - AJ4F

Mike,