locked #audioissues Hamlib error: IO error #AudioIssues

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Better yet, just bond each piece of equipment to the station power supply ground terminal. Don't bother with big flexible ground straps or a copper buss bar across the back of the desk. Make some nice flexible bonding jumpers using #10 AWG auto primary wire with suitable ring connectors attached. One per piece of equipment connected to the station power supply ground terminal.

As to an outside driven ground, yes it MUST be bonded outside of the structure to the AC mains ground. If this is not done, you have a very dangerous system, highly prone to damage in the event of even a nearby lightning strike.

Depending on your antenna system, a station ground is not needed, except for lightning protection equipment which should be outside of the house. That's the way and why the driven ground is used.

If you have a Common Mode Current issue, it is RF being picked up by the feedline acting as an antenna. Common Mode Chokes at the antenna feed point and at the station end of the coax will most likely resolve the issue.

It is much better to find, identify and correct the issue than to throw ferrite at everything, acting like a band-aid.

As to grounding, Bob Heil needs to study the work of Jim Brown, K9YC. He would find out just how incorrect his recommendations are. PLEASE do not follow Bob Heil's recommendations. It is dangerous.

73
Bob, K4TAX

[...]

Chris VE3NRT

You could check for RF issues by turning the transmitter power down to zero and/or using a dummy load, so that everything is identical except the RF power.

Chris VE3NRT

Michael Black

That is RF in the shack.  Only happens when you transmit.

The CAT PTT test does not generate any power so that's why it works.

#1 Type 31 Chokes on the USB cable (both ends)
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Ferrite-U023-006/dp/B003MQ29B2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DVFTSWS955TD&keywords=tripp%2Blite%2Busb%2Bcable&qid=1639864912&sprefix=tripp%2Blite%2Busb%2Bcable%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3&th=1

#2 If no chokes try moving the USB cable to another port (front instead of back or other side of laptop)

Then please describe your grounding system.  Too many people have the "rod in the ground" outside  their shack that is not bonded to the house main.
See Bob Heil's video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJLE7sKbp0&t=1s

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, December 18, 2021, 03:58:15 PM CST, K1LYV <k1lyv@...> wrote:

Hamlib error: IO error
port_open: serial_open(COM3) status=-6, err=Input/output error
iofunc.c(81):port_open return(-6)
rig.c(800):rig_open return(-6) while opening connection to rig

I have rebooted the pc, power cycled the radio, checked the USB cable.  The issue I am having is WSJT can decode fine, but when I try to reply, call CQ or just hit the tune button I get the above error.  If I test the PTT using the CAT controls it’s okay, it seems to be some kind of weird audio issue.  When this error occurs, the radio keys up, and for less than half a second I hear a quick audio tone, then the radio unkeys and I get the above error.

Radio is a FTDX10.  This was working fine this morning and now all of a sudden it’s not.  Ideas anyone?

John (K1LYV)

Sent from Mail for Windows

K1LYV