locked software error #wsjt-x-crashing #FlexRadio #Windows10

n4qwf .

This morning I upgraded to WSJT-X version 2.5.3. I also upgraded to JTAlert 2.50.9. All seemed to work smoothly for about an hour. I worked a number of stations using FT8 on both 20m and 15m. Suddenly WSJT-X just disappeared from my screen. It had closed. I tried to reopen it and got an error message. Here is the text from the on screen error window.

Sub-process error
orphaned jt9 process

JtAlert was still open and I closed it normally. I closed DXLab utilities that were open and rebooted the computer. Again all seemed normal for a short while after the reboot then the same error occurred. I rebooted the computer and reverted to WSJT-X 2.5.2 and I am still running JTAlert 2.50.9 and everything has been normal now for the last 5-6 hours.

I am using Windows 10 64 bit operating system, DXLab suite and my radio is a Flex 5000.

Thanks <<John N4QWF

rcktscientist64

Several people including me have had this happen while working a call with “/“ in the call sign. I’m not aware of a fix yet other than roll back to version 2.5.2.

Bruce - K5WBM

On Dec 16, 2021, at 2:25 PM, n4qwf . <N4QWF1@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Bryan Lynch - NM7C

Did you happen to try and work any stations with "/stroke" identifier? There's a thread going right now about crashes exactly as you describe when interacting with /stroke calls.

You don't have to reboot your computer to get back in.
The process for "jt9 - WSJT-X slow mode decoder" must be manually killed to be able to re-launch WSJT-X.

-Bryan NM7C

Al Groff

( WSJT-X 2.5.3 Win 11/64 )
I too had a WSJT-X crash while attempting to work a / call ( N4CXH/4 ).. I have worked other / calls  with 2.5.3 but that was the first one that crashed.

AL, K0VM

On 12/16/2021 2:40 PM, rcktscientist64 wrote:
[...]

More...
  It crashed when I attempted to send my TX 3 response.
AL, K0VM

On 12/16/2021 7:12 PM, Al Groff via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I can not say what call or macro I was sending when the software stopped
but I am sure it was not the same call. The JT9 error message must be some
type of clue. I have never operated that mode but it is installed as part
of WSJT here.

73<<John

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 8:17 PM Al Groff via groups.io <al.k0vm=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I made an error and uploaded an SD version by accident.

Here's the link to the HD version of the crash recording:
https://youtu.be/HM9N_RLJb14

73,
Bryan Lynch
NM7C

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 5:32 PM Bryan Lynch <airshark@gmail.com> wrote:

Following on to my last response.
I still have mod post approval turned on for my account...not sure when
that goes away.

I caught this crash on video/audio.

This time everything was fine in the QSO.
I changed TX Freq for my response.
As soon as the RX response to me was decoded, the app crashed.

I've uploaded a video in HD to Youtube. It's still processing the HD
version as of this reply and will need just a few minutes. Until then, only
an SD copy may be viewed.
See the full crash video HERE (Apologies for the TX audio hum):
https://youtu.be/tyATmy5WLLk

I hope this helps.

73,

Bryan Lynch
NM7C

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 5:17 PM Al Groff via groups.io <al.k0vm=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Reino Talarmo

I have never operated that mode but it is installed as part of WSJT here.
Hi John,
The JT9 is actually the decoding program that FT8 is using. So it is normal to get that failure not to close it, when wsjt-x crashes.
I have no hint why wsjt-x crashes in those situations. I am not managed to repeat it. If I understood correctly that crash happens also in a later step than Tx3.
73, Reino OH3mA

Bryan Lynch - NM7C

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jim Spears

I also had this last night when attempting to work PJ7/NZ1C. I believe I was working 40m FT4 mode. WSJT simply vanished. attempting to restart got the same error as others reported. I had to reboot the PC to recover and, of course, was not able to complete the QSO as he had moved to another band or gone to dinner.
Jim
N1NK