locked Don't forget about FT4 #FT4 #QSO_practices

Timothy Brannon

I like to get on 40 meters in the predawn hours (US Central Time), but most mornings are absolute bedlam on 7074 kHz. The FT8 waterfall is so full of strong signals, I can hardly find a clear spot to transmit.
So, I often click Mode in WSJT-X and switch to FT4 on 7047.5 kHz, but the problem there is the opposite -- the waterfall is completely empty! I did just complete a contact with VK2LAW with nice -12 dB signals both ways, but then my 25 CQ calls went unanswered.
Remember, with FT4 you're only giving up 3.5 dB of sensitivity, but the SNR is much better without the crowding/QRM, and contacts are completed in half the time. I wish more people would try FT4 in the morning, and relieve the congestion on FT8. Come try it!
73 de Tim, WA5MD in Dallas

David Maihofer <maihofer.david@...>

Tim,

I agree with your FT4 statement, seems many new users opt for FT8 as everything is shifted towards that. I think I would rather user FT4 most of the time saving half the time.

There just does not seem to be a reason not too except that all the activity is on FT8.

Thanks for bringing that up.

73 de David, in NW Arkansas

On Dec 14, 2021, at 07:33, Timothy Brannon <timbmd@...> wrote:

I like to get on 40 meters in the predawn hours (US Central Time), but most mornings are absolute bedlam on 7074 kHz. The FT8 waterfall is so full of strong signals, I can hardly find a clear spot to transmit.
So, I often click Mode in WSJT-X and switch to FT4 on 7047.5 kHz, but the problem there is the opposite -- the waterfall is completely empty! I did just complete a contact with VK2LAW with nice -12 dB signals both ways, but then my 25 CQ calls went unanswered.
Remember, with FT4 you're only giving up 3.5 dB of sensitivity, but the SNR is much better without the crowding/QRM, and contacts are completed in half the time. I wish more people would try FT4 in the morning, and relieve the congestion on FT8. Come try it!
73 de Tim, WA5MD in Dallas

Jim Brown

On 12/14/2021 5:04 AM, Timothy Brannon wrote:
I wish more people would try FT4 in the morning, and relieve the congestion on FT8.
There's plenty of room on CW, and conditions to Asia are usually good for two hours after our local sunrise.

73, Jim K9YC

M0PWX

I tend to go to FT4 quite often, as it is less popular so you can actually work less common stations as there is space in the spectrum both side

I also like JTAlert,

Activity window is great to see the number of station on and you can see which bands are heavily used,, at which point I will often avoid them

73

Peter

M0PWX

M0PWX Grabber Page (qsl.net)

[...]

chas cartmel

Let’s also not forget about JT9 and JT65, PSK variations and many other data modes which allow conversational QSOs rather than click/exchange reports/log - rinse and repeat.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

[...]

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Gary trock

I enjoy the occasional rag chewing on PSK 31, but have more difficulty making QSOs, especially DX. My own lack of experience I suspect.
Gary N8GT

[...]

Gwen

Try JS8Call instead of PSK31 On 12/14/21 4:10 PM, Gary trock wrote: > I enjoy the occasional rag chewing on PSK 31, but have more difficulty > making QSOs, especially DX. My own lack of experience I suspect. > Gary N8GT > > >> On Dec 14, 2021, at 5:42 PM, chas cartmel wrote: >> >>  >> >> Let’s also not forget about JT9 and JT65, PSK variations and many >> other data modes which allow conversational QSOs rather than >> click/exchange reports/log - rinse and repeat. >> >> >> *73 Charlie* >> >> *G4EST* >> >> _www.g4est.me.uk_ >> >> Stay safe out there >> >> *From:*main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] *On Behalf >> Of *David Maihofer >> *Sent:* Tuesday, December 14, 2021 6:28 PM >> *To:* main@wsjtx.groups.io >> *Subject:* Re: [WSJTX] Don't forget about FT4 #FT4 #QSO_practices >> >> Tim, >> >> I agree with your FT4 statement, seems many new users opt for FT8 as >> everything is shifted towards that. I think I would rather user FT4 >> most of the time saving half the time. >> >> There just does not seem to be a reason not too except that all the >> activity is on FT8. >> >> Thanks for bringing that up. >> >> 73 de David, in NW Arkansas >> >> >> >> On Dec 14, 2021, at 07:33, Timothy Brannon wrote: >> >>  >> >> I like to get on 40 meters in the predawn hours (US Central >> Time), but most mornings are absolute bedlam on 7074 kHz. The FT8 >> waterfall is so full of strong signals, I can hardly find a clear >> spot to transmit. >> So, I often click *Mode* in WSJT-X and *switch to FT4* on 7047.5 >> kHz, but the problem there is the opposite -- the waterfall is >> completely empty! I did just complete a contact with VK2LAW with >> nice -12 dB signals both ways, but then my 25 CQ calls went >> unanswered. >> Remember, with FT4 you're only giving up 3.5 dB of sensitivity, >> but the SNR is much better without the crowding/QRM, and contacts >> are completed in half the time. I wish more people would try FT4 >> in the morning, and relieve the congestion on FT8. Come try it! >> 73 de Tim, WA5MD in Dallas >> >> >> >> >> This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection. >> For more info visit www.bullguard.com >> >> >> >> > > >

Kurt Sweeny <kurt.sweeny@...>

Yes, if you can find  PSK signal; 14-070 is a lonely place.

Kurt
KD6LZV