locked WSJT-X 2.5.3 GA Release (Win64 only) #general

Joe

Dear WSJT-X Users:

As most of you know, we are mourning the recent death of our friend and colleague Bill Somerville, G4WJS, who since 2013 has contributed so much to the WSJT project.

One of Bill's many WSJT-related tasks was creating installation packages for Win32, Win64, Linux (Debian, Fedora, Raspberry Pi, ...), and macOS for each new program release. At present we have a straightforward system for building the Win64 package -- the best choice for the majority of WSJT-X users -- but no systems in place for building Win32, Linux, and macOS packages.

WSJT-X 2.5.3 includes a feature of special interest to users who will enter the ARRL January VHF Contest (January 15-17, 2022). For benefit of those users, we have decided to release WSJT-X version 2.5.3 for Win64 even though we have not yet made prebuilt packages for the other operating systems.

Differences between WSJT-X 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 are minimal and described in the Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt

The new feature for the ARRL VHF contests is an enhanced macro facility for Tx messages, aimed at making it easier to ask another station to QSY to a new band. The feature is described briefly here in the User Guide:
https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.3.html#TXMACROS
Additional information will likely appear on VHF-contest-related forums.

A link for the Win64 installation package for WSJT-X 2.5.3 is now available on the WSJT-X web page:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

Pre-built packages for Win32, Linux, and macOS will be added when we have created new means for creating them.

-- 73 from Joe, K1JT; Steve, K9AN; and Nico, IV3NWV

Ray

Anyway of determining how many users for each platform?
Ray
W8LYJ

Joseph Counsil

Joe,

So sad about Bill's passing -- praying for his family.

Would it be possible to make the 2.5.3 source available?  I build on Linux...

73,
-Joe-

Brian Stucker

Hi Joe,

Very sorry for everyone's loss.

Similar question to Joseph - I may be able to help with getting Mac packages built.

73,
Brian

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 3:47 PM Joseph Counsil <counsil@...> wrote:
Joe,

So sad about Bill's passing -- praying for his family.

Would it be possible to make the 2.5.3 source available?  I build on Linux...

73,
-Joe-

Jon Suehiro

Previously uninstalling and installing the newer version was easy.  So I did 2.5.2 -> 2.5.3 too.  No problem on TS-890 (through microHAM micro KEYER III).  Just check on IC-9700 through USB (Silicon Labs USB to UART Bridge), no change in IC-9700 CIV/USB settings nor Windows 10 (64 bit) Device Manger Port settings.

WSJT-X 2.5.3 comes back as rig connection error.  If I select no rig but leaving the audio device (IC-9700 USB Audio CODEC), WSJT-X decode the signal.  Is there any issue on IC-9700 rig interface ?

Thanks Jon NN5T

Stewart Wilkinson

2.5.3 GA seems to work fine on my 9700 and 7300 without making any changes to my settings.

However I did see someone say that you need to have 'CIV USB Echo Back' set to ON (mine already was on both radio's).

Mike Abbott

I have the same issue.  IC-9700 and IC-7300 will not connect after updating to 2.5.3.  I had to revert back to 2.5.2 and everything worked perfectly.  A real head-scratcher.  I wonder if it's related to the OmniRig package...

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

The source is on Sourceforge.

In the user's manual see section

1.4. How You Can Contribute

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU
wb8vsu@...

On Dec 11, 2021, at 6:47 PM, Joseph Counsil <counsil@...> wrote:
Joe,

So sad about Bill's passing -- praying for his family.

Would it be possible to make the 2.5.3 source available?  I build on Linux...

73,
-Joe-

Michael Black

Could you also please test echo off?  It should not be required.

Mike W9DMB

On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 02:17:08 AM CST, Stewart Wilkinson <stewart.g0lgs@...> wrote:

2.5.3 GA seems to work fine on my 9700 and 7300 without making any changes to my settings.

However I did see someone say that you need to have 'CIV USB Echo Back' set to ON (mine already was on both radio's).

Karza

On 12.12.2021 15.30, Jim Bacher - WB8VSU wrote:
The source is on Sourceforge.
..not the latest version 2.5.3

'Kari, oh2gqc

groups.io@...

Exactly the same here (on IC-9700 and IC-7300). Updated from 2.3 to 2.5.3 and I was getting hamlib errors, installed 2.5.2 "over" 2.5.3 and all appears to be ok again.

I may try Stewart's suggestion later and go to 2.5.3 again.

Thanks for the release guys - Terry

Michael Black

Turn on echo.

This is the setting you want to turn on for now.  It's a bug in hamlib which I'm fixing now.
Will announce when a new DLL is available with the fix.

CI-V USB Echo Back (Default: OFF)
Turns the Data Echo Back function ON or OFF, when
remotely controlling the IC-9700 through the [USB]
CI-V port.
This setting is valid only when the “CI-V USB Port” item is
set to “Unlink from [REMOTE].”

On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:53:34 AM CST, groups.io@... <groups.io@...> wrote:

Exactly the same here (on IC-9700 and IC-7300). Updated from 2.3 to 2.5.3 and I was getting hamlib errors, installed 2.5.2 "over" 2.5.3 and all appears to be ok again.

I may try Stewart's suggestion later and go to 2.5.3 again.

Thanks for the release guys - Terry

Michael Black

The Icom fix will be available tonight.

Will have 20211213 date on it.

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:59:20 AM CST, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

Turn on echo.

This is the setting you want to turn on for now.  It's a bug in hamlib which I'm fixing now.
Will announce when a new DLL is available with the fix.

CI-V USB Echo Back (Default: OFF)
Turns the Data Echo Back function ON or OFF, when
remotely controlling the IC-9700 through the [USB]
CI-V port.
This setting is valid only when the “CI-V USB Port” item is
set to “Unlink from [REMOTE].”

On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 11:53:34 AM CST, groups.io@... <groups.io@...> wrote:

Exactly the same here (on IC-9700 and IC-7300). Updated from 2.3 to 2.5.3 and I was getting hamlib errors, installed 2.5.2 "over" 2.5.3 and all appears to be ok again.

I may try Stewart's suggestion later and go to 2.5.3 again.

Thanks for the release guys - Terry

Mike Abbott

Echo ON fixed the USB comm failure for me on both the IC-7300 and IC-9700!  Whoo-Hoo!  Back up and running in time for Geminids!

Michael Black

It should also be fixed in the latest DLL -- echo on or off

On Monday, December 13, 2021, 09:08:41 AM CST, Mike Abbott via groups.io <kk4ma@...> wrote:

Echo ON fixed the USB comm failure for me on both the IC-7300 and IC-9700!  Whoo-Hoo!  Back up and running in time for Geminids!

Joseph Counsil

Jim,

Yes, you are correct! When I looked before, I just looked at the tags and branches, and only saw up to 2.5.2, however if I look at the source itself, it is indeed 2.5.3.

73,
-Joe-
K0OG