locked #logging #NewUser #ContestMode FT Roundup #NewUser #logging #ContestMode

Steve VE7GTU

Thanks Brian (and Sam, Michael). That looks a good, straightforward approach. Appreciate the tips.

73, Steve.

Steve VE7GTU

Thanks Tony. I downloaded the N1MM instructions and will have a good read of them today. It looks pretty comprehensive.

73, Steve.

Sam Birnbaum

Whatever works is fine.

Sam W2JDB

-----Original Message-----
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Dec 7, 2021 4:53 pm
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #logging #NewUser #ContestMode FT Roundup

I'd recommend the non-routable 224.0.0.1 address.

I doubt anybody needs to route their multicast data.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 03:47:25 PM CST, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io <w2jdb@...> wrote:

Log broadcasting has been deprecated. N1MM can monitor the UDP traffic directly.
If you wish to use N1MM and JT Alert at the same time, setup all three program for 
Multicast by changing the port assignment to one for multicast.

WJSTX_MultiCast.jpg

Sam W2JDB

Michael Black

I'd recommend the non-routable 224.0.0.1 address.

I doubt anybody needs to route their multicast data.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, December 7, 2021, 03:47:25 PM CST, Sam Birnbaum via groups.io <w2jdb@...> wrote:

Log broadcasting has been deprecated. N1MM can monitor the UDP traffic directly.
If you wish to use N1MM and JT Alert at the same time, setup all three program for 

WJSTX_MultiCast.jpg

Sam W2JDB

Sam Birnbaum

WJSTX_MultiCast.jpg

Sam W2JDB

Brian Stucker

To use N1MM with WSJT to manage your logs you need to do just a very few things. 

In WSJT, turn on log broadcasting under reporting. In N1MM, go to the WSJT tab in configure and enable the radio 1 checkbox on the upper left of the screen. Make sure the ports agree, but they should by default.

Tada! You’re done.

You don’t need to wait for a contest to try it out. Just create a log for DX or FTROUNDUP and watch N1MM grab every contact you make.

There’s more complex setups than the above, but that’s the one I use (with a few other pieces of software) and it works flawlessly during RU for Single OP. You don’t have to control your radio via N1MM for WSJT because all of the band information comes through in the log fragment.

Brian - KB2S

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 8:04 AM Tony Collett via groups.io <tony.nbs=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Every contest that I have been in states that the score is not necessary as their software will figure your score.

Hi Steve
Glad the tips helped - and cheers to Phil about not including the header, second nature when you have done it before but not first time round!

Carl is correct, some Entry Robots will tell you the score when you upload the log but not all. They all work out the score themselves in the adjudication process.

I only operated RU for a few hours and not sending an entry in so only used WSJTX but would use N1MM for a serious entry. Using a contest logger also helps you know if you have worked them before on the same band but different mode which is not so easy with WSJTX on its own even with a fresh ADI file. The N1MM documentation runs through how to set it up thoroughly but enjoy watching You Tube for more guidance and Good Luck.

Tony G4NBS   

Tony Collett

Every contest that I have been in states that the score is not necessary as their software will figure your score.

Hi Steve
Glad the tips helped - and cheers to Phil about not including the header, second nature when you have done it before but not first time round!

Carl is correct, some Entry Robots will tell you the score when you upload the log but not all. They all work out the score themselves in the adjudication process.

I only operated RU for a few hours and not sending an entry in so only used WSJTX but would use N1MM for a serious entry. Using a contest logger also helps you know if you have worked them before on the same band but different mode which is not so easy with WSJTX on its own even with a fresh ADI file. The N1MM documentation runs through how to set it up thoroughly but enjoy watching You Tube for more guidance and Good Luck.

Tony G4NBS   

Steve VE7GTU

Hi Darl, good to know, thanks. Trouble is, I like using 3830 Scores to get a quick reality check of how (badly) I did in the contest. I think I'll explore the N1MM route and get it configured for digital contesting. YouTube awaits ...

73, Steve.

Darl DEEDS

So I let them, lots less hassle. Just have to wait a few weeks or months to know that I lost as 99% do..

Darl  NA8W

Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 16:54
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io

Hi Tony,

Great tips, thanks very much. I followed your instructions and everything's now good. You were correct that I already had WSJTX running when I renamed the file and created the new one leading to my confusion about the B4s.

One thing confusing me came up this morning when submitting my Cabrillo log. How do you tally up the score in digital contests? WSJTX doesn't have a box like N1MM with scores and band breakdown visible in real time. So I ended up pasting the contacts into a spreadsheet and added up states, provinces and countries manually which is brutal. I haven't set up digital contesting into N1MM as it looks pretty complicated but I'm guessing this is what most digi contesters do. What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Steve VA7KH

Steve VE7GTU

Hi Tony,

Great tips, thanks very much. I followed your instructions and everything's now good. You were correct that I already had WSJTX running when I renamed the file and created the new one leading to my confusion about the B4s.

One thing confusing me came up this morning when submitting my Cabrillo log. How do you tally up the score in digital contests? WSJTX doesn't have a box like N1MM with scores and band breakdown visible in real time. So I ended up pasting the contacts into a spreadsheet and added up states, provinces and countries manually which is brutal. I haven't set up digital contesting into N1MM as it looks pretty complicated but I'm guessing this is what most digi contesters do. What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Steve VA7KH

Re 3. Also remove the record in the new log that ends <EOH>. You cannot have a second header record in the file.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 06 December 2021 08:53
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io

Hi Steve - not dumb but 1 & 3 are obvious when you know how.

1) Do not delete the original WSJTX_Log.ADI file, just rename it for time being. WSJTX uses it in order to keep track of all your contacts for worked B4 status.
Ideally you should do this before you start that instance of WSJTX as it reads from the file on initial start up. I'm guessing you already had WSJTX running when you followed the instructions. If you do create the new file with WSJTX already running you can still reset the log status from within WSJTX by going to File/Settings/Colours - hidden under that menu is "Rescan ADIF Log" which will then scan the blank new file you created earlier.

3) Yes - use notepad or similar text editor and copy all the QSO's from your new ADI file and paste them onto the end of the original file. Once you have done that you can delete the ADI file that only contains a few QSO's and rename he original file back to WSJTX_log.ADI

Hope that makes sense and helps. As for question 2 - you could manually enter them into the ADI file if you take care and follow exactly how other QSO's are entered maybe?
Maybe somebody has a better answer but don't blame your incompetence, in the heat of a contest with several stations calling I also found the logging process lacking and "lost" a couple. Only answer I found was relax and take your time to log each QSO before responding to the next caller even if it means losing a transmission cycle to do so!

Regards
Tony G4NBS

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Tony Collett

Hi Steve - not dumb but 1 & 3 are obvious when you know how.

1) Do not delete the original WSJTX_Log.ADI file, just rename it for time being. WSJTX uses it in order to keep track of all your contacts for worked B4 status.
Ideally you should do this before you start that instance of WSJTX as it reads from the file on initial start up. I'm guessing you already had WSJTX running when you followed the instructions. If you do create the new file with WSJTX already running you can still reset the log status from within WSJTX by going to File/Settings/Colours - hidden under that menu is "Rescan ADIF Log" which will then scan the blank new file you created earlier.

3) Yes - use notepad or similar text editor and copy all the QSO's from your new ADI file and paste them onto the end of the original file. Once you have done that you can delete the ADI file that only contains a few QSO's and rename he original file back to WSJTX_log.ADI

Hope that makes sense and helps. As for question 2 - you could manually enter them into the ADI file if you take care and follow exactly how other QSO's are entered maybe?
Maybe somebody has a better answer but don't blame your incompetence, in the heat of a contest with several stations calling I also found the logging process lacking and "lost" a couple. Only answer I found was relax and take your time to log each QSO before responding to the next caller even if it means losing a transmission cycle to do so!

Regards
Tony G4NBS

Steve VE7GTU

This weekend was my first foray into digital contesting with FT Roundup. Great fun but it raised some questions.

1) Before the contest, as advised by the Roundup preparation notes, I created a new contest log, renaming the existing ADI file to wsjtx_log_BAK. (The prep notes suggest deleting the existing adi file - why would you do that?). As soon as the first contact went into the log, the software created a new wsjtx_log as expected. However, during the contest it showed many stations as worked B4 but not from this contest, but rather from contacts that had taken place months or even years  before. Seems like it's still getting old data from the BAK file but how? This made it almost impossible to tell if I'd really worked someone in the contest or not. (For info, I use WSJT-X with JTAlert under Win10).

2) Due to sheer incompetence on my part, I managed to mangle auto-sequencing on several occasions and failed to get three contacts into the log. I can't see any way of adding them post contest. For log submission I can create new entries in the cabrillo file but that doesn't add them to the log. Should I have set things up differently before the contest?

3) After the contest, how do I merge the contest log with wsjtx_log_BAK to keep a record of all my digital contacts in a single master log? Just copy the new log contents and paste into BAK?

Hope these aren't dumb questions. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
73, Steve
VA7KH