locked #Kenwood #WSJTX_config #Windows10 #FTDI #ftdi #WSJTX_config #Kenwood #Windows10 #ftdi

mark.salvador@...

Yes sir, I actually was in touch with the tech from xggcomms which is great, its just that the errors are on the software and my rig is old TS-450s and is tagged as obsolete with Kenwood.  Have to survive this self inflicted pain i'm getting hahaha.

But was able to make it work in 2 days just not perfect yet.

73!

Michael Black

What does "just not perfect" mean?

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, November 28, 2021, 02:52:13 AM CST, <mark.salvador@...> wrote:

Yes sir, I actually was in touch with the tech from xggcomms which is great, its just that the errors are on the software and my rig is old TS-450s and is tagged as obsolete with Kenwood.  Have to survive this self inflicted pain i'm getting hahaha.

But was able to make it work in 2 days just not perfect yet.

73!

mark.salvador@...

Hi Bill,   Its the CAT control that doesnt work, Im geeting cannot retrieve frequency from radio,

current rig control on flrig setting doesnt move the frequency on the TS450 device/radio.

What I did just to isolate errors was I manually tuned the radio on 15meters then I initialize the programs.

so in summary
- AF in is ok
- AF out is ok
- PTT via RTS is ok
- Wsjtx is ok via Flrig (can do qso)

- Flrig doesnt show errors on settings but doesnt reflect changes in frequency.

wasnt able to tinker with it this weekend, will try to gather more data.

thanks again, appreciate the help and insights.

Regards,

Mark

Yes sir, I actually was in touch with the tech from xggcomms which is great, its just that the errors are on the software and my rig is old TS-450s and is tagged as obsolete with Kenwood.  Have to survive this self inflicted pain i'm getting hahaha.

But was able to make it work in 2 days just not perfect yet.

73!

W1EL Eric

Mark,

How do you have your TS-450 wired up for CAT? Using the Kenwood IF-232? Have you tried it with a different radio control program other than WSJT-X?

Good Luck, Eric (W1EL)

Yes sir, I actually was in touch with the tech from xggcomms which is great, its just that the errors are on the software and my rig is old TS-450s and is tagged as obsolete with Kenwood.  Have to survive this self inflicted pain i'm getting hahaha.

But was able to make it work in 2 days just not perfect yet.

73!

Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...>

Arrgh was too eager to repy, my previous reply was incomplete. (sorry admin)

1. Yes IF 232 using xggcomms digimode 4 cable

2. Yes, I used FLDIGI, HAmlib, FLRIG, Ham radio deluxe and manual rigctl commands no joy on the command to set the radio VFO.

Cheers,

Mark

W1EL Eric

Mark,

I’m not sure what a digimode 4 cable is, but if you have the Kenwood IF-232, you should be able to talk to a TS-450 at 4800 baud, 8N2. I believe the baud rate is fixed in the radio.

Sorry I’m not more help.

73 de W1EL

No worries @Eric, Yups I read on the groups and on the service manual the serial settings for the rig, unfortunately I dont have the original cable and the defaul setting of 4800 baid rate didnt work out of the box.

@Mike, will be setting up anydesk on my laptop. will update once if got it running.

I’m not sure what a digimode 4 cable is, but if you have the Kenwood IF-232, you should be able to talk to a TS-450 at 4800 baud, 8N2. I believe the baud rate is fixed in the radio.

Sorry I’m not more help.

73 de W1EL

Arrgh was too eager to repy, my previous reply was incomplete. (sorry admin)

1. Yes IF 232 using xggcomms digimode 4 cable

2. Yes, I used FLDIGI, HAmlib, FLRIG, Ham radio deluxe and manual rigctl commands no joy on the command to set the radio VFO.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...>

Hi Eric,

Current connectivity setup is using XGGCOMMS digimode 4, Theres two male plugs one is setup at the back ACC2 with 13 pins i think, and the other is connected at the side which is the ACC1 serial port 6 DIN plug.  I have to get back to you on that as I am not sure if the CAT controls are routed on the back or the side (im suspecting on the side ACC1 which doesnt work).

My apologies as to the terms cause im stil on the catchup mode of the manuals of the equipment that I have.

Short answer is Yes on the IF 232.

Cheers!

-Mark

Michael Black

Why are you using the IF232?

The xggcoms cable should be all you need.

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, November 28, 2021, 06:07:55 PM CST, Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...> wrote:

Arrgh was too eager to repy, my previous reply was incomplete. (sorry admin)

1. Yes IF 232 using xggcomms digimode 4 cable

2. Yes, I used FLDIGI, HAmlib, FLRIG, Ham radio deluxe and manual rigctl commands no joy on the command to set the radio VFO.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...>

Hi Mike, Yups I only use the XGGCOMMS cable, what I meant to say to Eric was that, the XGGCOMMS cable mimics the IF232 as seen on Fprog if you probe the FTDI chip.

BTW I will be setting up anydesk and will put a dedicated windows desktop near the rigs so you can have full access to my setup.   Will send you a message once I have completed this.

Cheers!

Mark

Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...>

ok im sorry if im all over the place as sometimes I answer back using my android via email. Just an update of what Im doing and whats currently being learned :).

Hardware:
Rig: Kenwood TS-450

Cable: xggcomms digimode -4 (connects to DIN 13 ACC2 at the back and DIN 6 ACC1 on the side, then USB FTDI chip (combined audio and serial to PC).

PC: Generic AMD gaming PC :P (snatched it from my sons room)

Software:

Flrig 1.4.2

WSJTX 2.5.2
Gridtracker 1.21

Here are some pictures, I was able to make WSJTX work using FLIG to manage the connectivity to the RIG and selecting FLRIG on WSJTX. Not the only problem that I have is the  Hamlib not returning the VFO value  and a control of the rig  on setting the frequenct remotely from the PC (basic rig control).  I think  were almost there. as Ive seen videos on youtube that some guys can do the basic rig control using the TS-940 as the rig, maybe if we can bash whats on the 940 that is different on the ts-450 on hamlib we can perfect this :D.

Cheers!

Dave Garber

if the drivers are installed for your device, device manager should show which com port assignment has been given to the 'ftdi' port

that is what should entered into the rig - ts450, comx as assigned in device manager.  I may be wrong , but if232 and clones should be at 4800 baud,8,n,2 ( check your manual )

baud rates need to match  the readio settings
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 8:34 PM Mark Salvador <mark.salvador@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok as an update, as I owe this community a lot of grattitutde.

Heres the lay down of the story.
1. Got an old TS-450 I wanted to play with on FT8.
2. Bought an XGGCOMMS digimode -4 cable.
3. Got the cable and didint work out perfectly

4. Bugged Micheal and this IO group for a week, posting debug logs and alot of ramblings

5. Mike was able to look into the logs and have suggested its a hardware issue as the RIG is spewing trash data that hampers communication with Hamlib and making FLRIG do erratic behaviors.

6. I reached out to XGGCOMS and they replied back with a solution.

Appparently Mike was correct and there is indeed some trash data generated on the XGGCOMMS hardware, steve from XGCOMMS (excellent service if I may add, please dont hesistate to buy and support their products as you will get superb personal service from them) I digress he told me to remove an SMD on the USB path and short with some solder.

Now system works and I can say that my setup works perfectly.

AFin/AF out works

RIG control works (Flrig)
WJSTX works!

Thanks to all those who helped! I can now enjoy my beer this weekend!

73 to all! de DU1MRK