locked Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #AudioIssues #txaudio #Elecraft

Ed G

Hello,
     Using WSJTX ver 2.5.2 with a MicroKeyer III and Elecraft K4.  When using the MKIII internal sound card, I am only seeing about 1.5 watts output with the WSJTX power slider all the way up.  When I change WSJTX audio setup to use the K4 internal sound card I see normal power out (depending of course on what I set the K4 to).  Other software programs such as JTDX, with the same exact audio setup for the MKIII sound card,that I use for WSJTX, gives me normal power out.  MMTTY with the MKIII sound card gives me normal power out.  Only WSJTX seems to give me low power out with the MKIII sound card.
     So I believe I have a proven MKIII sound card (as it works with all my other software), and audio cabling system. So any ideas as to why WSJTX will not cooperate with the MKIII sound card, but yet works fine with other sound cards?  I am communicating with one other ham who is using the same gear and setup as me and is experiencing the same exact problem with WSJTX.
     Something in the WSJTX rig definition file for the K4 perhaps?
--Ed, N3CW--

Bill Somerville

On 17/11/2021 18:15, Ed G wrote:
Hello,
     Using WSJTX ver 2.5.2 with a MicroKeyer III and Elecraft K4. When using the MKIII internal sound card, I am only seeing about 1.5 watts output with the WSJTX power slider all the way up.  When I change WSJTX audio setup to use the K4 internal sound card I see normal power out (depending of course on what I set the K4 to). Other software programs such as JTDX, with the same exact audio setup for the MKIII sound card,that I use for WSJTX, gives me normal power out.  MMTTY with the MKIII sound card gives me normal power out.  Only WSJTX seems to give me low power out with the MKIII sound card.
     So I believe I have a proven MKIII sound card (as it works with all my other software), and audio cabling system. So any ideas as to why WSJTX will not cooperate with the MKIII sound card, but yet works fine with other sound cards?  I am communicating with one other ham who is using the same gear and setup as me and is experiencing the same exact problem with WSJTX.
--Ed, N3CW--
Hi Ed,

MS Windows has a separate speaker level slider in its audio mixer for each application and soundcard combination. The following pinned post has a recipe for setting Tx audio levels correctly:

https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/message/13890

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Black

What are your sound settings in WSJTX for it?  The audio pulldown can be  Mono/Left/Right/Both.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 12:27:13 PM CST, Ed G <ed.n3cw@...> wrote:

Hello,
     Using WSJTX ver 2.5.2 with a MicroKeyer III and Elecraft K4.  When using the MKIII internal sound card, I am only seeing about 1.5 watts output with the WSJTX power slider all the way up.  When I change WSJTX audio setup to use the K4 internal sound card I see normal power out (depending of course on what I set the K4 to).  Other software programs such as JTDX, with the same exact audio setup for the MKIII sound card,that I use for WSJTX, gives me normal power out.  MMTTY with the MKIII sound card gives me normal power out.  Only WSJTX seems to give me low power out with the MKIII sound card.
--Ed, N3CW--

neil_zampella

Quick question ... the K4 has a built-in sound card, why are you using the Microkeyer when you don't have to?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 11/17/2021 12:15 PM, Ed G wrote:
Hello,
--Ed, N3CW--

Ed G

Hi Neil,

Basically it is just personal preference for either the K4 soundcard or the MKIII.  Since I already had the MKIII and lot of experience with it, I seem to prefer it.  It offers physical knobs for audio adjustments, and 24-bit audio, low noise level and a higher dynamic range (typ. 87dB).  Plus the MKIII gives you a nice front panel crossed-ellipse display for RTTY plus LED indicators for PTT and sound card function.

If I was starting from scratch and did not have a MKIII I would most likely stick with the K4 soundcard.

--Ed, N3CW—

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 1:42 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #Elecraft #AudioIssues#txaudio

Quick question ... the K4 has a built-in sound card, why are you using the Microkeyer when you don't have to?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 11/17/2021 12:15 PM, Ed G wrote:

Hello,
--Ed, N3CW--

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Ed G

Hi Mike,

Pulldown set for “Left”

--Ed, N3CW—

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #Elecraft #AudioIssues#txaudio

What are your sound settings in WSJTX for it?  The audio pulldown can be  Mono/Left/Right/Both.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 12:27:13 PM CST, Ed G <ed.n3cw@...> wrote:

Hello,
--Ed, N3CW--

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Ed G

Hi Bill,

The firmware in MKIII ignores the Windows sound level slider setting, and so MKIII audio output level is not dependent on the Windows slider position.

--Ed, N3CW—

> Hello,

>      Using WSJTX ver 2.5.2 with a MicroKeyer III and Elecraft K4. When

> using the MKIII internal sound card, I am only seeing about 1.5 watts

> output with the WSJTX power slider all the way up.  When I change

> WSJTX audio setup to use the K4 internal sound card I see normal power

> out (depending of course on what I set the K4 to). Other software

> programs such as JTDX, with the same exact audio setup for the MKIII

> sound card,that I use for WSJTX, gives me normal power out.  MMTTY

> with the MKIII sound card gives me normal power out.  Only WSJTX seems

> to give me low power out with the MKIII sound card.

>      So I believe I have a proven MKIII sound card (as it works with

> all my other software), and audio cabling system. So any ideas as to

> why WSJTX will not cooperate with the MKIII sound card, but yet works

> fine with other sound cards?  I am communicating with one other ham

> who is using the same gear and setup as me and is experiencing the

> same exact problem with WSJTX.

>      Something in the WSJTX rig definition file for the K4 perhaps?

> --Ed, N3CW--

Hi Ed,

MS Windows has a separate speaker level slider in its audio mixer for

each application and soundcard combination. The following pinned post

has a recipe for setting Tx audio levels correctly:

Bill

G4WJS.

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Bill Somerville

Ed,

that may be the case for the master level as that is controlled by the soundcard itself, I doubt the same applies to the Windows Audio Mixer sliders which are software level controls. If you have not done so I suggest you review the post I linked and follow the instructions.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 17/11/2021 19:09, Ed G wrote:

Hi Bill,

The firmware in MKIII ignores the Windows sound level slider setting, and so MKIII audio output level is not dependent on the Windows slider position.

--Ed, N3CW—

> Hello,

> --Ed, N3CW--

Hi Ed,

Bill

G4WJS.

Ed G

Bill – I believe you are correct.  Adjusting that audio mixer setting seems to have given me full power back.  Also, A bit of quick research tells me there is a way to edit the registry and get the old legacy volume mixer back…which should make it easier to adjust the advanced settings.  I’ll have to investigate that more. Thank you for the tip!

--Ed, N3CW—

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #Elecraft#AudioIssues#txaudio

Ed,

that may be the case for the master level as that is controlled by the soundcard itself, I doubt the same applies to the Windows Audio Mixer sliders which are software level controls. If you have not done so I suggest you review the post I linked and follow the instructions.

Bill
G4WJS.

Hi Bill,

--Ed, N3CW—

> Hello,

> --Ed, N3CW--

Hi Ed,

Bill

G4WJS.

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

Bill,

microKEYER III has *NO* Widows level controls. 24 bit ADC is fixed
gain. The only level control is a hardware control on the output of
the sound card.

Ed,

The K4 seems to be screwy on the Line In input. There have been
multiple reports of drive issues with external sound cards connected
to the Line In input on multiple forums.

I would suggest contacting Elecraft directly and asking about fixes
for the Line In sensitivity issue.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-11-17 2:12 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
Ed,
Bill
G4WJS.

Hi Bill,

--Ed, N3CW—

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

*Sent: *Wednesday, November 17, 2021 1:29 PM
*To: *main@WSJTX.groups.io
*Subject: *Re: [WSJTX] Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #Elecraft #AudioIssues#txaudio

Hello,
     Using WSJTX ver 2.5.2 with a MicroKeyer III and Elecraft K4. When
using the MKIII internal sound card, I am only seeing about 1.5 watts
output with the WSJTX power slider all the way up.  When I change
WSJTX audio setup to use the K4 internal sound card I see normal power
out (depending of course on what I set the K4 to). Other software
programs such as JTDX, with the same exact audio setup for the MKIII
sound card,that I use for WSJTX, gives me normal power out.  MMTTY
with the MKIII sound card gives me normal power out.  Only WSJTX seems
to give me low power out with the MKIII sound card.
     So I believe I have a proven MKIII sound card (as it works with
all my other software), and audio cabling system. So any ideas as to
why WSJTX will not cooperate with the MKIII sound card, but yet works
fine with other sound cards?  I am communicating with one other ham
who is using the same gear and setup as me and is experiencing the
same exact problem with WSJTX.
--Ed, N3CW--
Hi Ed,

Bill

G4WJS.

Bill Somerville

Hi Ed,

there's no need for any Windows registry changes, you can open the Windows sound mixer by hitting he Windows-Key+R then enter sndvol and hit ENTER. It is available from the Windows sound settings panel but running it directly avoids the obfuscation MS seem to insist on using to hide basic functionality.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 17/11/2021 20:36, Ed G wrote:

Bill – I believe you are correct.  Adjusting that audio mixer setting seems to have given me full power back.  Also, A bit of quick research tells me there is a way to edit the registry and get the old legacy volume mixer back…which should make it easier to adjust the advanced settings.  I’ll have to investigate that more. Thank you for the tip!

--Ed, N3CW—

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Low Power Output with Elecraft K4 #Elecraft#AudioIssues#txaudio

Ed,

Bill
G4WJS.

Hi Bill,

--Ed, N3CW—

> Hello,

> --Ed, N3CW--

Hi Ed,

Bill

G4WJS.