locked Losing Input Audio on Raspberry Pi #NewUser #raspberryPi #Elecraft

Stephen Celuzza

Hi everyone,

I've installed WSJT-X (v2.3.0) on my Raspberry Pi 4 running Bullseye. My radio is an Elecraft KX3, and rig control is working fine with the USB cable. I have a cheap USB sound card in the Pi, and with a little bit of fiddling, I can get everything working. For a moment. After one transmission, I lose audio input to WSJT-X - I know there is a signal coming out of the radio's headset jack, but nothing is showing up on the signal bar (on the left of the WSJT-X display).

Some googling indicates that this might be a known problem with the audio drivers in the Pi, but even choosing the sound card input/output directly in the WSJT-X settings only works for 1 transmission.

I'm at a loss, and hoping somebody has seen this and has a solution!

Thanks, and 73
Stephen
K1SAC

Reino Talarmo

For a moment. After one transmission, I lose audio input to WSJT-X - I know there is a signal coming out of the radio's headset jack, but nothing is showing up on the signal bar (on the left of the WSJT-X display).

Hi Stephen,

I would make first a simple check about RFI. Try to send at a lower level e.g. using wsjt-x Pwr slider and see whether it helps. Even better is to use dummy load. If that helps see e.g. mails “[WSJTX] Mouse cursor blocked or very slow in TX on mac M1 #IssueReport #macOS” from Jim Brown and those links in them to some useful documents about RFI and how fight it.

73, Reino OH3mA

Stephen Celuzza

Thanks, Reino. That seems to have done it.

Because of the close spacing of the USB ports on the RPi, I had to use a USB extension for the sound card. Once I did that, everything started working as expected.

73 Stephen K1SAC

Reino Talarmo

Thanks, Reino. That seems to have done it.

Because of the close spacing of the USB ports on the RPi, I had to use a USB extension for the sound card. Once I did that, everything started working as expected.

73 Stephen K1SAC

Nice to hear that you solved the issue. By the way, what kind of antenna you are using?
73, Reino OH3mA

Stephen Celuzza

I have two that I use primarily. My favorite is a QRP Guys half-wave end fed that I have set up for 20m, but it tunes up fine on other bands as well. I also have the Elecraft AX-1 antenna, which is easier to deploy, but not nearly as effective an antenna.

I tested the whole system on Thursday when I did my first all-digital POTA activation. FT8 and FT4 on 20m and 40m, and everything worked great!

Reino Talarmo

I have two that I use primarily. My favorite is a QRP Guys half-wave end fed that I have set up for 20m, but it tunes up fine on other bands as well. I also have the Elecraft AX-1 antenna, which is easier to deploy, but not nearly as effective an antenna.

I tested the whole system on Thursday when I did my first all-digital POTA activation. FT8 and FT4 on 20m and 40m, and everything worked great!

Thanks Steve,

All end-fed half-wave dipoles are known to be challenging on RFI as very easily the rig with all connections to it will perform as or part of the missing counterpoise or ground of the antenna!

Nice that all started to work!

73, Reino OH3mA