locked K4 Hops Frequency #Cat_RigControl #Elecraft

Ken

GM Bill,

When running WSJT-X in fake it mode I have noticed that WSJT-X moves the TX frequency down during TX depending on the TX offset and then returns to the normal RX frequency as it did on the K3.

Occasionally when switching back to RX the K4 will remain on the TX frequency.

Example: RX = 7.074 (FT8), WSJT-X switched to TX = 7.073 then back to 7.074 for RX. Every now and then the K4 will remain on 7.073 for RX and I have to move the RX frequency back up to 7.074 to continue.

I’m not sure whether this is a K4 or WSJT-X problem.

Should I set fake it to none for the K4 ?

W8KEN - Ken

Geza Szabados-Hann

Hi,

not a speicific K4 issue, the same happens sometime with TS590sg too.

73,
DG5LP, Geza

Bill Somerville

On 11/11/2021 17:26, Geza Szabados-Hann wrote:
Hi,

not a speicific K4 issue, the same happens sometime with TS590sg too.

73,
DG5LP, Geza
Hi Geza,

are you using the USB connection to the TS-590SG for both CAT and audio? Is the PTT Method in "Settings->Radio" set to "CAT"? Are any other applications involved with the CAT connection to your rig? Are you using the latest v2.5.2 version of WSJT-X?

Geza Szabados-Hann

Hi Bill,

thanks for your answer.  I installed v2.5.2 some days ago, but I obtained the behaviour with 2.3 and 2.4. I control TS590SG and PTT via USB/CAT.
Audio is connected via DigiKeyer-II over another USB port. I use the COM-Port to control my antennas and PA by polling the current frequency by IF commands using a small Arduino application.

73,
Geza, DG5LP

Bob Burns AK9R

On 11/10/2021 9:21 AM, Ken via groups.io wrote:
Occasionally when switching back to RX the K4 will remain on the TX frequency.
Assuming that you are using a single USB cable between computer and radio for rig control, I would be suspicious of RF disrupting the USB signal. There are USB cables available with molded-in ferrite cores (Tripplite cables available from Amazon), but they aren't enough in some situations. You may have to add more ferrites to your USB cable. And, I'll make the usual suggestions to verify that you don't have stray RF in the shack, everything is grounded, your antenna is well-matched, etc.

Bob...

Jim Brown

On 11/12/2021 7:54 AM, Bob Burns AK9R wrote:
There are USB cables available with molded-in ferrite cores (Tripplite cables available from Amazon), but they aren't enough in some situations.
Those molded-on cores are only there to let equipment pass FCC Rules, and are only effective at VHF. Multiple turns through a #31 Fair-Rite core are usually needed at HF.

More important, do proper grounding and bonding in your station. Study N0AX's ARRL book on the topic, and/or download and study the slides for a talk I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several large clubs.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC