locked IC 705 CRASHES WSJT-X WHEN TX #band #AudioIssues #Icom

Mark Gottlieb

Hi Everyone,

I have been using WSJT-x for years with several different radios.  Just got the IC-705 and am able to have CAT control and decodes just fine on RX.  However, when I TX I am getting an Audio error box and the software, for lack of a better term, crashes.  I have to close the software since it leaves my radio locked in TX.  This happens with my CI-V Address set for the IC 7300 and the IC 705.  My DATA OFF MOD is set to USB but I am getting the same result with MIC,USB.    My Audio settings in WSJT-x are USB AUDIO CODEC for both speakers and microphone.  It must be something simple that I am overlooking.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L

Bill Somerville

On 07/11/2021 20:47, Mark Gottlieb wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been using WSJT-x for years with several different radios.  Just got the IC-705 and am able to have CAT control and decodes just fine on RX.  However, when I TX I am getting an Audio error box and the software, for lack of a better term, crashes.  I have to close the software since it leaves my radio locked in TX.  This happens with my CI-V Address set for the IC 7300 and the IC 705.  My DATA OFF MOD is set to USB but I am getting the same result with MIC,USB.    My Audio settings in WSJT-x are USB AUDIO CODEC for both speakers and microphone.  It must be something simple that I am overlooking.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L
Hi Mark,

that sounds like RFI issues causing the USB connection between rig and PC to be disrupted.

Steven Reich

I purchased an IC-705 to use for digital mode QRP operation. Quickly found out that my IC-705 is very sensitive to RFI coming in on the USB port, and did the same thing yours does.

I was able to decrease the issue somewhat by wrapping the USB cable to the IC-705 around some 240-43 ferrite donuts. More wraps is better and I have 10 wraps on mine.

The RFI was decreased some more by doing the same on the antenna output of the radio. Another 10 wraps. This doesn't totally eliminate the RFI, but it allows the radio to operate in digital mode fairly reliably.

If you do a Google search you'll find this is a common problem with the IC-705.

73
Steve WI9SSR

Michael Black

Please describe your shack grounding system.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, November 8, 2021, 11:04:10 AM CST, Steven Reich <wi9ssr@...> wrote:

I purchased an IC-705 to use for digital mode QRP operation. Quickly found out that my IC-705 is very sensitive to RFI coming in on the USB port, and did the same thing yours does.

I was able to decrease the issue somewhat by wrapping the USB cable to the IC-705 around some 240-43 ferrite donuts. More wraps is better and I have 10 wraps on mine.

The RFI was decreased some more by doing the same on the antenna output of the radio. Another 10 wraps. This doesn't totally eliminate the RFI, but it allows the radio to operate in digital mode fairly reliably.

If you do a Google search you'll find this is a common problem with the IC-705.

73

Steve WI9SSR

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

I will echo this assessment. In my case, it was a short USB cable to a Raspberry Pi. A one-foot cable and generic snap-on ferrites have not fixed it. I ended up changing the direction of my loop which helped in the short term but never revised the initial issue. It didn't matter what make of the cable I used. It didn't matter how many snap-on ferrites I used (I'm not sure of the mix). My next trick will be to wrap the cable through an appropriate mix toroid and see if that helps.

Ryan, N2YQT

Jim Brown

On 11/8/2021 9:04 AM, Steven Reich wrote:
If you do a Google search you'll find this is a common problem with the IC-705.
It is a common problem with nearly all ham gear, because connectors are mounted in such a manner that they fail to bond cable shields to the shielding enclosure (chassis) at the point of entry. This manufacturing defect was first identified in 1994 by Neil Muncy, W3WJE (SK), working in the world of pro audio, where within a few years the problem was mostly eliminated. Unfortunately, the word never got out engineers designing equipment for other fields, like ham radio, consumer audio and video equipment, CATV equipment, and so on.

The most effective "band-aid" for the problem our stations is proper bonding and grounding, both of which are both good engineering practice and required by LAW (local Electrical Codes). Study N0AX's ARRL book on the topic, to which I contributed, and/or the slide deck for talks I've done at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several ham clubs. Note that a few details of power system bonding are specific to North America.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

The Pin One Problem and many other aspects of RFI are addressed in tutorial form in these two app notes.

http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

Dave H

Edited

Hi,

I have the IC-705, It will almost certainly be RFI.

I was lucky, I had a well screen cable from other experiences with RFI

I used a screened double ferrite cable from a Digital Camera.

On Amazon:  Screened Cable with Ferrites

In use most days for hours, No issues

GL

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Sounds like the classic issue of RFI.   Most likely caused by Common Mode Current.   In most cases, grounding or earthing won't correct the issue.  On the other hand, bonding all chassis together is the correct way for starters.

Be advised that antenna type, feed system, and feedline orientation with regard to the antenna will contribute to resolution or mitigation.

See the work of W8JI, or DJ0IP, or K9YC for valid information to understanding the issue and why it exists.  And they publish good data as to what to do in order to resolve the issue.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Mark Gottlieb

Good Afternoon All,

I am having this same problem but only from 18mhz on up.  On 14mhz down, the rig (IC7100) interfaces normally and well with WSJT-x and FLRIG.  Icom radios do have a one USB cable, as we all know, for CAT and AUDIO.  Is my issue attributable to the same reasons as the failure others are experiencing?  I have tried changing antennas, taking the tuner out of the mix, changing USB cables but the problem persists.  Any help would be most appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L

Mark Gottlieb

I just got back to the group.  My shack is grounded to a copper rod buried in my garden.  All radios, amps, tuners etc are wired to the same copper rod.

73
Mark
KK2L

William Smith

Does the problem go away if you reduce the output power to near zero and/or transmit into a dummy load? If so, it's almost certainly RFI.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Nov 28, 2021, at 4:10 PM, Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having this same problem but only from 18mhz on up. On 14mhz down, the rig (IC7100) interfaces normally and well with WSJT-x and FLRIG. Icom radios do have a one USB cable, as we all know, for CAT and AUDIO. Is my issue attributable to the same reasons as the failure others are experiencing? I have tried changing antennas, taking the tuner out of the mix, changing USB cables but the problem persists. Any help would be most appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L

Mark Gottlieb

One more thing...just to be clear, I am experiencing this issue on my portable CHAMELEON MPAS 2.0 which only has a radial coming from the antenna and my universally grounded (copper rod) antenna in my backyard.  However, the problem is only happening on the upper bands (>18Mhz).  The lower bands are not seeing this issue with WSJT-x.

73

Mark
KK2L

Gary trock

Question. I’m using an old Kenwood TS 850s, and thinking of getting a second radio. I am considering an ICOM 7300, but noticed how cheap IC 718’s are at the present. Any comments good or bad using the 718 for WSJTx?
Gary N8GT

On Nov 28, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...> wrote:

I just got back to the group. My shack is grounded to a copper rod buried in my garden. All radios, amps, tuners etc are wired to the same copper rod.

73
Mark
KK2L

Gary trock

Mark, I’m new to WSJTx but for ham radio in general, I have 6 copper ground rods, 6 feet long bonded with #4 gauge wire and many would consider that inadequate grounding. One rod not enough.
Gary N8GT

On Nov 28, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Gary trock <gtrockmd@...> wrote:

Question. I’m using an old Kenwood TS 850s, and thinking of getting a second radio. I am considering an ICOM 7300, but noticed how cheap IC 718’s are at the present. Any comments good or bad using the 718 for WSJTx?
Gary N8GT
On Nov 28, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...> wrote:

I just got back to the group. My shack is grounded to a copper rod buried in my garden. All radios, amps, tuners etc are wired to the same copper rod.

73
Mark
KK2L

Mark Gottlieb

I should have come back to the group sooner.  I didn't get an e-mail that my original post was answered.  Anyway...bingo!  Yes, when I reduce power, (down to 45 watts) even on the upper bands, the radio is performing nominally with WSJT-x with my IC 7100..  But... and this is one I can't understand...I was only using 10 watts with the IC 705 and it was still failing.

Mark
KK2L

Michael Black

It depends on how susceptible the USB cable is to RFI.

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, November 28, 2021, 03:25:38 PM CST, Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...> wrote:

I should have come back to the group sooner.  I didn't get an e-mail that my original post was answered.  Anyway...bingo!  Yes, when I reduce power, (down to 45 watts) even on the upper bands, the radio is performing nominally with WSJT-x with my IC 7100..  But... and this is one I can't understand...I was only using 10 watts with the IC 705 and it was still failing.

Mark
KK2L

Michael Black

And is your ground rod bonded to the house ground too?

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, November 28, 2021, 03:19:47 PM CST, Gary trock <gtrockmd@...> wrote:

Mark, I’m new to WSJTx but for ham radio in general, I have 6 copper ground rods, 6 feet long bonded with #4 gauge wire and many would consider that inadequate grounding. One rod not enough.
Gary N8GT
> On Nov 28, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Gary trock <gtrockmd@...> wrote:
>
> Question. I’m using an old Kenwood TS 850s, and thinking of getting a second radio. I am considering an ICOM 7300, but noticed how cheap IC 718’s are at the present. Any comments good or bad using the 718 for WSJTx?
> Gary N8GT
>> On Nov 28, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Mark Gottlieb <kk2l@...> wrote:
>>
>> I just got back to the group.  My shack is grounded to a copper rod buried in my garden.  All radios, amps, tuners etc are wired to the same copper rod.
>>

>> 73
>> Mark
>> KK2L

Jim Shorney

Brew a pot of coffee and give this a read:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 28 Nov 2021 13:10:32 -0800
"Mark Gottlieb" <kk2l@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having this same problem but only from 18mhz on up.  On 14mhz down, the rig (IC7100) interfaces normally and well with WSJT-x and FLRIG.  Icom radios do have a one USB cable, as we all know, for CAT and AUDIO.  Is my issue attributable to the same reasons as the failure others are experiencing?  I have tried changing antennas, taking the tuner out of the mix, changing USB cables but the problem persists.  Any help would be most appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L

Gary trock

Good advice!!

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faudiosystemsgroup.com%2FRFI-Ham.pdf&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C5fd6919e02f94d778d2408d9b2b8b91b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637737328713072828%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=p%2FeboNPntEIKR3CKAZxstGyT1Pv0STZnCZF7Z4YD6r0%3D&amp;reserved=0

"Mark Gottlieb" <kk2l@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having this same problem but only from 18mhz on up. On 14mhz down, the rig (IC7100) interfaces normally and well with WSJT-x and FLRIG. Icom radios do have a one USB cable, as we all know, for CAT and AUDIO. Is my issue attributable to the same reasons as the failure others are experiencing? I have tried changing antennas, taking the tuner out of the mix, changing USB cables but the problem persists. Any help would be most appreciated.

73
Mark
KK2L

Gary trock

Yes, have the same #4 wire connecting the house ground with the station ground. Both antenna masts also bonded. Learned that from this website!!

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Faudiosystemsgroup.com%2FRFI-Ham.pdf&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C464ead2aa62f4ab99b0908d9b2b91a81%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637737330350394493%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=trK1OVRKod80835AolKYdEx%2FWeDpsl39houB7jqj8qA%3D&amp;reserved=0