locked #FoxAndHound: Please do not QSY back to "normal" frequency

This afternoon I was on 12m, and on the IC-7300 spectrum scope I could see FT8 activity 5kHz down. Tuned down to see what it was and it was the HD8R DXPedition. Thought I would join the throng so went into Hound mode. I wondered why I was now seeing normal transmissions and realised that setting "hound" mode had reset the frequency to the normal for 12m.

I assume that the dial frequency was 18.095 - this put the fox on 530 Hz plus the 3 60 Hz higher. When they came back, I cleared the "Enable TX" in my excitement - I had the mouse hovering over it to re-enable it when it was cleared after too many transmissions.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill Somerville

On 03/11/2021 16:10, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:
This afternoon I was on 12m, and on the IC-7300 spectrum scope I could see FT8 activity 5kHz down. Tuned down to see what it was and it was the HD8R DXPedition. Thought I would join the throng so went into Hound mode. I wondered why I was now seeing normal transmissions and realised that setting "hound" mode had reset the frequency to the normal for 12m.

I assume that the dial frequency was 18.095 - this put the fox on 530 Hz plus the 3 60 Hz higher. When they came back, I cleared the "Enable TX" in my excitement - I had the mouse hovering over it to re-enable it when it was cleared after too many transmissions.

-- 73 Phil GM3ZZA
Hi Phil,

I can't offer anything with respect to the coupling between changing settings and resetting the CAT connection, at this time, but in FT8 DXpedition Mode the ENTER key is a shortcut to enable transmit, which will at least mean you can avoid unintended mouse clicks on the "Enable Tx" button.

Sorry 17m!

Sent from Mail for Windows

This afternoon I was on 12m, and on the IC-7300 spectrum scope I could see FT8 activity 5kHz down. Tuned down to see what it was and it was the HD8R DXPedition. Thought I would join the throng so went into Hound mode. I wondered why I was now seeing normal transmissions and realised that setting "hound" mode had reset the frequency to the normal for 12m.

I assume that the dial frequency was 18.095 - this put the fox on 530 Hz plus the 3 60 Hz higher. When they came back, I cleared the "Enable TX" in my excitement - I had the mouse hovering over it to re-enable it when it was cleared after too many transmissions.

--

73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill, WB6JJJ

I also found this problem…  why move the radio back to the normal frequency when that is not supposed to be allowed in F/H mode.  It caught me a few times recently with the numerous DXpeditions using F/H mode away from the normal frequency.   Selecting F/H mode should not change my radio frequency.

Bill
WB6JJJ

On Nov 3, 2021, at 9:38 AM, Philip Rose via groups.io <gm3zza@...> wrote:

Sorry 17m!

Sent from Mail for Windows

This afternoon I was on 12m, and on the IC-7300 spectrum scope I could see FT8 activity 5kHz down. Tuned down to see what it was and it was the HD8R DXPedition. Thought I would join the throng so went into Hound mode. I wondered why I was now seeing normal transmissions and realised that setting "hound" mode had reset the frequency to the normal for 12m.

I assume that the dial frequency was 18.095 - this put the fox on 530 Hz plus the 3 60 Hz higher. When they came back, I cleared the "Enable TX" in my excitement - I had the mouse hovering over it to re-enable it when it was cleared after too many transmissions.

--

73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Martin G0HDB

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 06:27 PM, Bill, WB6JJJ wrote:

I also found this problem…  why move the radio back to the normal frequency when that is not supposed to be allowed in F/H mode.  It caught me a few times recently with the numerous DXpeditions using F/H mode away from the normal frequency.   Selecting F/H mode should not change my radio frequency.
Bill (and Phil):

If you use separate, dedicated configurations for normal and Hound mode then each configuration can have its own frequency set that can be tailored so that, when in the Hound configuration, none of the standard FT8 frequencies are included so the inadvertent QSY'ing you've described will be completely avoided.  This is yet another of the undeniable advantages of using a separate configuration for each different operating scenario.

--
Martin G0HDB

Thanks Martin.

This was a one-off. "What are those signals at 18,095?" If I chased expeditions 24/7 I might consider this. But I have a life outside amateur radio, and other amateur radio activities.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

On 3 Nov 2021 18:57, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:
[...]

Why should I need to set up a separate configuration for one QSO?  Still, evoking F/H should not change my radio’s frequency.

Bill
WB6JJJ

On Nov 3, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Philip Rose via groups.io <gm3zza@...> wrote:

[...]

Al Groff

Bill,
  Add the F/H frequency to the frequency table.. Then will not switch when you switch in/out of F/H mode.

AL, K0VM

On 11/3/2021 4:00 PM, Bill, WB6JJJ wrote:

[...]

Dave Garber <ve3wej@...>

Is the f/h frequency in you main frequency list?   I am guessing that is why the frequency change happens.  Its defaulting to known drop down frequency

sent via LG hand held device

On Nov 3, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Philip Rose via groups.io <gm3zza=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

That’s the whole point – if I have set the frequency by another means, WSJT-X should not change it! I should not have to have another configuration or add the frequency to the list in settings to prevent it in a ONE-OFF situation.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Hasan Schiers N0AN

F/H mode assumes you are going to run on a different frequency from the standard pre-defined frequencies. This was done because it was deemed undesirable to run F/H mode on the standard frequencies, as it was intended for DXpeditions operating on their own dedicated frequency.

It is for this reason that you should consider:

1. Setting up a separate F/H Config and change freq as needed for the given DXpedition or;

2. Just keep adding each DXpedition's freq to the new freq table you have customized.

Once you learn how to use configurations effectively, you will gain two benefits:

a. Every time you invoke a different configuration, it restarts the program, clearing out accumulated rubbish that may eventually cause the program to misbehave.

b. You won't be confused or (in your case),  annoyed by unwanted frequency changes when you change modes.

What you are complaining about is a feature, not a bug. It perfectly suits most operators who are going to use F/H mode and was carefully considered in its design and implementation.

I wouldn't expect them to abandon the way this feature works because ops won't use existing features effectively (setting a new value in the existing freq table or setting a new configuration). There are going to be many DXpeditions that use F/H mode. Adding each new one's freq to an existing F/H table is a simple and elegant solution, as many of these DXpeditions tend to use similar bands and frequencies. There is a lot of overlap.

There is no 'one off'.....you will eventually build a 'many off' grouping of assorted DXpeditions which are nicely organized for you in a dedicated configuration for F/H

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick Arzadon - N8XI

I have heard about the F&H Mode but never have used it yet.

I found this VERY Helpful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcbtTKSRkus
--
Rick - N8XI