locked Possible to Adjust Time to Match Sending Station? #Timesync

K1dj

Is it possible to adjust my time to match an off-time DX station?  [Right now, 7P8RU's clock is running about 1.2 sec fast.]
73 - Rich, K1DJ

Pietro Molina

I think the only way is to stop sync and adjust your clock manually. But if there exists a sync software with this capability I'm interested, too! 

Pietro I2OIM

Il giorno mer 3 nov 2021 alle ore 16:24 K1dj via groups.io <k1dj=aol.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
Is it possible to adjust my time to match an off-time DX station?  [Right now, 7P8RU's clock is running about 1.2 sec fast.]
73 - Rich, K1DJ

Michael Black

Look for TimeFudge on my QRZ page.
I have a Windows executable and source code for Linux/Unix.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 10:32:07 AM CDT, Pietro Molina <pietro@...> wrote:

I think the only way is to stop sync and adjust your clock manually. But if there exists a sync software with this capability I'm interested, too! 

Pietro I2OIM

Il giorno mer 3 nov 2021 alle ore 16:24 K1dj via groups.io <k1dj=aol.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
73 - Rich, K1DJ

Alan G4ZFQ

Pietro

https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/rsNTP/rsNTP.htm
I have used this on Windows 10.
I have not used as a default timekeeper so I do not know how it performs in the long term.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

chas cartmel

Alan" I have not used as a default timekeeper so I do not know how it performs in the long term."In answer to your perceived question above, the default for windows is totally inadequate for WS modes.73 CharlieG4ESTwww.g4est.me.ukStay safe out there-----Original Message-----From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan G4ZFQSent: Wednesday, November 3, 2021 4:01 PMTo: main@...: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to Adjust Time to Match Sending Station? #Timesync> I think the only way is to stop sync and adjust your clock manually. > But if there exists a sync software with this capability I'm interested, too!Pietrohttps://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/rsNTP/rsNTP.htmI have used this on Windows 10.I have not used as a default timekeeper so I do not know how it performs in the long term.73 Alan G4ZFQ

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Chas,

If you are running a version  MS Windows you are more than welcome to us a program "SyncTime.exe"  that I wrote 
and that is available for free on ProgramsByW2JDB. It can be used to keep your PC synced to internet time and also 
to nudge you PC clock +/-  a number of milliseconds.  However, if you are only off by less that 2 seconds, WSJT-X
should not have any problem in decoding the messages from the other stations.

Sam W2JDB

-----Original Message-----
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 12:17 pm
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to Adjust Time to Match Sending Station? #Timesync

Alan" I have not used as a default timekeeper so I do not know how it performs in the long term."In answer to your perceived question above, the default for windows is totally inadequate for WS modes.73 CharlieG4ESTwww.g4est.me.ukStay safe out there-----Original Message-----From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan G4ZFQSent: Wednesday, November 3, 2021 4:01 PMTo: main@...: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to Adjust Time to Match Sending Station? #Timesync> I think the only way is to stop sync and adjust your clock manually. > But if there exists a sync software with this capability I'm interested, too!Pietrohttps://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/rsNTP/rsNTP.htmI have used this on Windows 10.I have not used as a default timekeeper so I do not know how it performs in the long term.73 Alan G4ZFQ

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Kai-KE4PT

Michael is too modest! His tiny TimeFudge module lets you nudge your PC clock as you want. It also occupies no more than a small postage stamp sized window on your screen. Thanks again, Mike!
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 11/3/2021 11:34, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:

Mike W9MDB

Dave Garber

I use bkttimesync

sent via LG hand held device

On Wed., Nov. 3, 2021, 11:24 a.m. K1dj via groups.io, <k1dj=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
73 - Rich, K1DJ

Robert Lorenzini

There is a new version out that makes fudging a menu item.

Bob - wd6dod

On 11/3/2021 2:33 PM, Dave Garber wrote:

I use bkttimesync

sent via LG hand held device

On Wed., Nov. 3, 2021, 11:24 a.m. K1dj via groups.io, <k1dj=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
73 - Rich, K1DJ

Neil Foster

Sam
SyncTime is not listed??
Neil   N4FN

Kermit Lehman

Hi Mike,

After I adjust the time with TimeFudge, how long is the adjustment maintained?  Will it last though the next time update from my time setting ap? (Dim4 in my case on this computer or Meinberg on another one)

Ken, AB1J

To: main@wsjtx.groups.io <main@wsjtx.groups.io>; main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 3:34 pm
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Possible to Adjust Time to Match Sending Station? #Timesync

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 10:32:07 AM CDT, Pietro Molina <pietro@...> wrote:

Pietro I2OIM

73 - Rich, K1DJ

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Neil,

After you subscribe, Click on FILES. Scroll down and you will find it.
Just download it into any folder. There is no installation requirement.  
Set up a shortcut and make sure you run it as an Administrator other
wise Windows won't let it change the clock. It read the registry and 
uses the that time server.

If you want it to run every every nn minutes,  just check the 
box "Auto run every". You can set the number of minutes.

If you add a parameter -r 15 after the .exe  i.e   "c:\somedir\synctime.exe -r 15"
it will start up, sync the time every 15 minutes.

After it starts, it will hide itself. You will find the icon in the taskbar tray.
To pop up the screen again, press the right mouse button while over the icon.

Sam W2JDB

Sent: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 7:18 pm

Sam

SyncTime is not listed??
Neil   N4FN

Gary - AG0N

On Nov 3, 2021, at 16:54, Robert Lorenzini <bob@...> wrote:

I use bkttimesync
Please read the original post. He’s not looking for a time sync program. Yes, BKT is solid, but that’s not what he wants.

Gary - AG0N

Michael Black

Dim4 will override it.

Mike

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 08:11:55 PM CDT, Kermit Lehman via groups.io <ktfrog007@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

After I adjust the time with TimeFudge, how long is the adjustment maintained?  Will it last though the next time update from my time setting ap? (Dim4 in my case on this computer or Meinberg on another one)

Ken, AB1J

To: main@wsjtx.groups.io <main@wsjtx.groups.io>; main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 3, 2021 3:34 pm

Mike W9MDB

Pietro I2OIM

73 - Rich, K1DJ

Jim Brown

Ken,

TimeFudge is for those situations when we don't HAVE access to time sync. Once we get that access back, for whatever reason, we should be using that, not TimeFudge. I've used it for county/grid expeditions where I have no cell service.

73, Jim K9YC

On 11/3/2021 2:13 PM, Kermit Lehman via groups.io wrote:

Bob KM4RL

I use JTSync for this.
It will average your RX decodes and set your clock, or you can select one station and set your clock to match it.
I normally run Meinberg and you must stop the ntp service in Meinberg first.

http://www.dxshell.com/jtsync.html

73 de Bob KM4RL

Kermit Lehman

Correction: TimeFudge is for those times when a station I am trying to work has a clock that's way off.  When a station approaches a DT of 2.0, I may not be able to work him regardless of what the specs say.  Then I use TimeFudge to get the two of us closer together and have often had a successful QSO.  I've found it very useful in this regard.

Yes, TimeFudge can also be used when you have no access to time sync.  It has multiple uses.

Ken, AB1J

Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2021 3:49 am

Ken,

TimeFudge is for those situations when we don't HAVE access to time
sync. Once we get that access back, for whatever reason, we should be
using that, not TimeFudge. I've used it for county/grid expeditions
where I have no cell service.

73, Jim K9YC

On 11/3/2021 2:13 PM, Kermit Lehman via groups.io wrote:
> After I adjust the time with TimeFudge, how long is the adjustment
> maintained?  Will it last though the next time update from my time
> setting ap? (Dim4 in my case on this computer or Meinberg on another one)
>

Jim Brown

On 11/4/2021 4:00 AM, Kermit Lehman via groups.io wrote:
TimeFudge is for those times when a station I am trying to work has a clock that's way off.
Yes. Hadn't thought of that. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:34 AM, Michael Black wrote:
W9MDB
Very nice utility Mike W9MDB. Thanks so much. I wanted such tool so badly.

K1dj

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

I have downloaded TimeFudge and will try it out next time I run across an off-time station.
73 - Rich, K1DJ