locked Hamlib update for Xiegu G1M #Cat_RigControl

Antony Watts <antonywatts@...>

G1M, great lttle transceiver, incredible for the price. Ham radio just became affordable. but...

WJST does not have a hamlib entry for the G1M. Several people have suggested to use various ICOM 7xxx selections, but my experience is that either they don't work or that CAT PTT is so slow that messages cannot be sent.

How can we stimulate the hamlib people to write an entry for the G1M (and how can we get programming CAT instructions from Xeigu?)?

I am proposing to use one of the DigiRig interfaces as this has a single USB C connection and both CAT & Audio interfaces. Will suit my MacBook Air M1 perfectly. Currently running FT8 with my ELAD FDM-DUO TCVR...

Bill Somerville

On 02/11/2021 12:09, Antony Watts via groups.io wrote:
G1M, great lttle transceiver, incredible for the price. Ham radio just became affordable. but...

WJST does not have a hamlib entry for the G1M. Several people have suggested to use various ICOM 7xxx selections, but my experience is that either they don't work or that CAT PTT is so slow that messages cannot be sent.

How can we stimulate the hamlib people to write an entry for the G1M (and how can we get programming CAT instructions from Xeigu?)?

I am proposing to use one of the DigiRig interfaces as this has a single USB C connection and both CAT & Audio interfaces. Will suit my MacBook Air M1 perfectly. Currently running FT8 with my ELAD FDM-DUO TCVR...
Hi Anthony,

since the Xeigu G1M is emulating another rig's CAT protocol; your first port of call should be with the manufacturer to see if they can improve the quality of the emulation. It should be obvious that if the emulation were perfect there would be no issue.

I suspect that one of the reasons that transceiver is so "affordable" is the lack of support for users, hi. A budget manufacturer can certainly borrow a CAT protocol from another design (and many have before now, including some of the big names) so long as no commercial rights or copyrights are infringed, but it is their responsibility to ensure that the emulation is fit for purpose.

This may not seem to be the answer you were seeking, but I doubt the issues you see are due to Hamlib, and I doubt they can be fixed by Hamlib code, more likely they are fundamental issues with the CAT implementation.

Chuck - KY4CU

I had a similar problem with my G90.

I ended up using flrig to handle cat control. Flrig has the g90 on the list of rigs, and it might be a usable substitute if your rig isn’t on the list. . . if flrig is available for Mac OS.

Charles Schultz
k4cay.chuck@...
256-525-7436 Phone/Text
http://www.csgoodphotos.com
http://art.csgoodphotos.com

Antony Watts <antonywatts@...>

Hi

Yes I have tried flrig, it is available for Mac (but a “windowy GUI). I fiddled around a bit then gave up. Maybe I should try again…

Thanks for your input

73

Antony
M0IFA

On 2 Nov 2021, at 15:08, Chuck - KY4CU <k4cay.chuck@...> wrote:

I had a similar problem with my G90.

I ended up using flrig to handle cat control. Flrig has the g90 on the list of rigs, and it might be a usable substitute if your rig isn’t on the list. . . if flrig is available for Mac OS.

Charles Schultz
k4cay.chuck@...
256-525-7436 Phone/Text
http://www.csgoodphotos.com
http://art.csgoodphotos.com

Bob K4RCG

+1.  FLRig is the way to go for Xiegu IMO....I'd bet the Xiegu G1 will also connect in similar fashion as G90 to FLRig for rig control.  I suggest giving that a try...get it connected to your Xiegu G1, then select FLRig as the "rig" in WSJT.  Look for v1.4.0.05. GL.

73 de Bob
K4RCG

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 3:08 PM Chuck - KY4CU <k4cay.chuck@...> wrote:
I had a similar problem with my G90.

I ended up using flrig to handle cat control. Flrig has the g90 on the list of rigs, and it might be a usable substitute if your rig isn’t on the list. . . if flrig is available for Mac OS.

Charles Schultz
k4cay.chuck@...
256-525-7436 Phone/Text
http://www.csgoodphotos.com
http://art.csgoodphotos.com

Antony Watts <antonywatts@...>

Absolutely no luck I'm afraid. Installed flrig for Mac (v "bs"). Chose G90 as rig, 19200, /dev/tty.usbserial110 seems to be the port.

Every time Ihit "init" the program crashes..

Will keep fiddling about, but this program seems somewhat sensitive and flaky?