locked Rig Control Error v2.5.1 on Mac OS #macOS #Cat_RigControl

Frank, DH4FR

I’m using v2.5.1 on OSX Mojave. WSJT-X is configured to talk to MacLoggerDX using the DX Lab Suite Commander protocol. This works fine for terrestrial operations.

For satellite comms with FT4, the IC-9700 fast switches Main/Sub for the doppler updates. This is driven via the separate jack CI-V port. As a result, WSJT-X sometimes reads LSB-D instead of USB-D, when it reads the IC-9700 just when Sub is made active for the doppler update. Unfortunately, then a rig control error “… unrecognised mode: LSB-D” (see screenshot) is generated. Expected behaviour is that LSB-D is an accepted mode.

Best 73,
Frank
DH4FR

Bill Somerville

On 02/11/2021 11:02, Frank, DH4FR wrote:
I’m using v2.5.1 on OSX Mojave. WSJT-X is configured to talk to MacLoggerDX using the DX Lab Suite Commander protocol. This works fine for terrestrial operations.
For satellite comms with FT4, the IC-9700 fast switches Main/Sub for the doppler updates. This is driven via the separate jack CI-V port. As a result, WSJT-X sometimes reads LSB-D instead of USB-D, when it reads the IC-9700 just when Sub is made active for the doppler update. Unfortunately, then a rig control error “… unrecognised mode: LSB-D” (see screenshot) is generated. Expected behaviour is that LSB-D is an accepted mode.
Best 73,
Frank
DH4FR
Hi Frank,

LSB-D is not a mode indication the DX Lab Suite Commander reports, it does report DATA-L and DATA-U (for some rigs it has been known to report Data-U, Data-L, DIGU, and DIGL) so I expect MacLoggerDX should be doing the same since it is supposed to be emulating DX Lab Suite Commander in this context.

Frank, DH4FR

Hi Bill,

So if I understand your answer correctly, MacLoggerDX should report DATA-L in line with DX Lab Suite protocol, but instead sends LSB-D which is considered an error by WSJT-X.

If so, I will ask Don to fix it :-)

Best 73,
Frank

Bill Somerville

On 02/11/2021 12:02, Frank, DH4FR wrote:
Hi Bill,

So if I understand your answer correctly, MacLoggerDX should report DATA-L in line with DX Lab Suite protocol, but instead sends LSB-D which is considered an error by WSJT-X.

If so, I will ask Don to fix it :-)

Best 73,
Frank
Hi Frank,

yes I believe that is what is happening. I think MacLoggerDX must already be reporting DATA-U for the MAIN VFO since it is only the SUB VFO mode that is causing an issue.

Frank, DH4FR

Hi Bill,

Yes, that will explain why all works fine in normal (non sat) mode.
Thanks for the quick (really quick !!) reply.

Best 73,
Frank

Frank, DH4FR

Hi Bill,

One final question regarding modes:
Is it an error for WSJT-X when the mode on the rig is not set to USB-D? And how is this impacted by the "Mode" setting on the Radio panel?
For example, will WSJT-X throw an error when I switch mode to FM or LSB on the rig while WSJT-X is actively controlling the rig and mode is set to "None"?

Best 73
Frank

Bill Somerville

On 03/11/2021 06:10, Frank, DH4FR wrote:
Hi Bill,

One final question regarding modes:
Is it an error for WSJT-X when the mode on the rig is not set to USB-D? And how is this impacted by the "Mode" setting on the Radio panel?
For example, will WSJT-X throw an error when I switch mode to FM or LSB on the rig while WSJT-X is actively controlling the rig and mode is set to "None"?

Best 73
Frank
Hi Frank,

WSJT-X still reads the mode even if it is not setting it, "FM" and "WBFM" are considered valid as DX Lab Suite Commander is known to report those mode designations among others.

Frank, DH4FR

Hi Bill,

Okay, thats good.

Don, the author of MacLoggerDX, fixed the issue with LSB-D on the DX Lab Commander interface. I just ran WSJT-X with FT4 during a full pass of RS-44 and it worked perfect. I could hear my FT4 signal almost the whole pass.

Best 73
Frank

Bill Somerville

On 03/11/2021 13:05, Frank, DH4FR wrote:
Hi Bill,

Okay, thats good.

Don, the author of MacLoggerDX, fixed the issue with LSB-D on the DX Lab Commander interface. I just ran WSJT-X with FT4 during a full pass of RS-44 and it worked perfect. I could hear my FT4 signal almost the whole pass.

Best 73
Frank
Hi Frank,

thanks for the update and glad you are up and running on low-orbit satellites.

Michael Black

If you set mode to None you can do whatever you want on the rig.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 01:10:15 AM CDT, Frank, DH4FR <frank.klop@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

One final question regarding modes:
Is it an error for WSJT-X when the mode on the rig is not set to USB-D? And how is this impacted by the "Mode" setting on the Radio panel?
For example, will WSJT-X throw an error when I switch mode to FM or LSB on the rig while WSJT-X is actively controlling the rig and mode is set to "None"?

Best 73
Frank

Bill Somerville

Mike,

that's not correct. If an application emulates another application then it should do so accurately, if it doesn't then a client can't be expected to behave exactly as it does for the original application. This issue has been resolved by a minor change in MacLoggerDX to improve the DX Lab Suite Commander emulation it provides.

On 03/11/2021 13:45, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
If you set mode to None you can do whatever you want on the rig.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 01:10:15 AM CDT, Frank, DH4FR <frank.klop@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

One final question regarding modes:
Is it an error for WSJT-X when the mode on the rig is not set to USB-D? And how is this impacted by the "Mode" setting on the Radio panel?
For example, will WSJT-X throw an error when I switch mode to FM or LSB on the rig while WSJT-X is actively controlling the rig and mode is set to "None"?

Best 73
Frank

Michael Black

Do I not understand Mode=None in WJST-X then?
I thought it meant two things.
#1 WSJT-X makes no attempt to set mode
#2 WSJT-X makes no read of mode (or shouldn't care).

Is one of those assumptions wrong?

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 08:54:11 AM CDT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

your point #2 is not quite correct, it doesn't care what the mode other than it must be one that is expected, i.e. within the set of valid modes.

This was a simple coding error in MacLoggerDX which has been fixed, I suggest we move on.