locked IC-9700 VFO A/B switching #Icom #Cat_RigControl

Brad, K8ZM

Don’t see many others with this issue but I still have an anomaly on the IC-9700 with WSJT-X at launch swapping VFO A to VFO B, so I can only assume it’s the “operator” and maybe I’m clearly missing the obvious.  I installed just a day ago the latest version libhamlib-4.dll and still get the VFO swapping.  Once manually swapped back everything functions as it should.  I’m running v2.50 but also had this issue with v2.4.  The last version that did not have this issue was v2.3.1.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro latest version, (2) concurrent instances of WSJT-X, one rig specific for the IC-7300 and one rig specific for the IC-9700.  I also run multiple instances of Win4Icom and a single instance of my logger (LOGic v10).  Win4Icom and my logger all function as they should and control the rig(s) without any issues.  Note that the IC-7300 also swaps the VFO’s but 99% of the time swaps back to A.  The 9700 is always on VFO A, when WSJT-X launches it always swaps VFO A to B, the other oddity is that if VFO A is on say 144.174 (USB-D, Filter 1) and VFO B is on 144.200 (USB, Filter 2), the VFO swaps from A to B but the frequency will remain on the original VFO A frequency.  So if VFO A was on 144.174 and B was on 144.200, after WSJT-X swaps VFO A to B the frequency displayed is 144.174, not the VFO B frequency.

Yikes !!

Any help appreciated,

Brad, K8ZM

Michael Black

Download the appropriate 32 or 64-bit zip file from here tomorrow...i.e. the 20211021 version that will be posted later tonight.

Extract the hamlib-4.dll and replace the one in the WSJTX directory

The problem has been fixed.

Mike W9MD

On Wednesday, October 20, 2021, 01:56:12 PM CDT, Brad, K8ZM <k8zm@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary trock

Pardon my ignorance. What is Hamlib used for?

On Oct 20, 2021, at 11:31 PM, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

All rig control except audio.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, October 21, 2021, 10:14:15 AM CDT, Gary trock <gtrockmd@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Somerville

Mike,

that's not correct. Many users control their rigs via Omni-RIg, or DX Lab Suite Commander, or other applications that emulate Commander like N1MM Logger+, MacLoggerDX, and others.

Better to say "all direct CAT control".

On 21/10/2021 16:29, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thanks
Hope to get control up and running with the new cable with your help when you are available

On Oct 21, 2021, at 11:36 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the fix, the 9700 now remains on VFO A after WSJTX launches.

Just an observation that upon launching WSJTX the 7300 and now the 9700 swap Vfo A to B to A but stay on A.  Not sure if this very rapid swapping is “normal” but thought worth mentioning.  Regardless, all is working fine with your latest 10/21/21 hamlib-4.dll !!

73 de Brad, K8ZM (ex-N8GLS)

[...]

Yes...it's determining the active VFO so does a bit of swapping on startup.
<sarcasm>Thanks to Icom for NOT providing a get_vfo capability.</sarcasm>

Any change of VFO by the user after startup is not tracked but should work now when before it was always switching to VFOA.

Mike

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 07:36:31 AM CDT, Brad, K8ZM <k8zm@...> wrote:

[...]

further <sarcasm>if Hamlib wasn't so insistent on knowing which of two identical VFOs was current; then there would be no issue. After all this request is based on the rather obvious fact that it shouldn't matter which VFO is selected.</sarcasm>

Note that this VFO swapping is not without issues, for example it is not possible to start a Hamlib client application while using the rig for phone or CW without having the Rx interrupted. I consider that bad behaviour, if a Hamlib client application is never going to use the other VFO then it has no business swapping VFOs at *any* time.

This is more subtle than you might realize, for example I have an SDR tracking my radios, if the VFO is swapped then the SDR jumps to the frequency of the other VFO which is not appreciated.

On 22/10/2021 13:46, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

The IC-9700/9100/910 drove a lot of this....they have 4 VFOs.  Main A/B and Sub A/B and uses Main/Sub for satmode and Main A/B or Sub A/B for split.
Since the WSJT-X interface does not allow VFO selection (like gpredict does for example) and thus does not set vfo on startup hamlib has to know the current VFO to perform the correct commands.

It may be possible to defer this detection until split or satmode and such are done.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 07:56:23 AM CDT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

I spent a lot of time working with an IC-910 getting it working just fine with RIG_VFO_CURRENT, that all seems to have been wasted time :(

On 22/10/2021 14:23, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

And I spent a lot of time getting things to work with RigPi, gpredict, FreeDV, and a few other custom applications.
Your contribution was certainly not wasted...just OBE.

I'm been migrating to some new logic that may support not having to do this.

Try changing this line
   rig->state.current_vfo = icom_current_vfo(rig);

   rig->state.current_vfo = RIG_VFO_CURR;

And see how it behaves for you when you startup with Main and startup with Sub.
It might support the split both ways now and behave as desired.

Mike W9MDB