locked WSPR output power at <0 dBm #WSPR

Alan G4ZFQ

Isn't 0dbm about 1 mw.   how much lower do you want to go...
Dave,

300uW got me over 1000Km without really trying, I'm sure that's not exceptional.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Dave smith

Surly we then go down to - ( minus ) dBm…….so -3dBm is half a milliWatt.
(er.. I seem to remember.😊)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 17:12, Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:
Isn't 0dbm about 1 mw.   how much lower do you want to go...

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 6:10 AM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
On 20/10/2021 00:37, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
>  I do wish
> there were a way to /advertise/ power levels /lower than 0 dBm/,

Bruce,

The only way I know is wsprnet.
In your profile or "Chat". But unfortunately I do not think it is used
by many.

>I assume the protocol can't
> easily modified to do that without breaking the decoding ability.

I also would like lower powers to be accommodated but I guess the
protocol can not be altered without a complete worldwide update of WSPR:-)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Dave Garber

Isn't 0dbm about 1 mw.   how much lower do you want to go...

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 6:10 AM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
On 20/10/2021 00:37, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
>  I do wish
> there were a way to /advertise/ power levels /lower than 0 dBm/,

Bruce,

The only way I know is wsprnet.
In your profile or "Chat". But unfortunately I do not think it is used
by many.

>I assume the protocol can't
> easily modified to do that without breaking the decoding ability.

I also would like lower powers to be accommodated but I guess the
protocol can not be altered without a complete worldwide update of WSPR:-)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bobby Chandler

OK Bill,

I guess I need to read more closely. HI!!

Thanks,

Bobby

--
n4au@...
n4au@...

Dave Garber

Bill, is that selectable by the usse in the drop down menu ( right in main screen)
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 7:14 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 20/10/2021 12:12, Bobby Chandler wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I find the power slider to be fairly accurate, if not near the top. If
> you set up for a 0dB signal, and follow the slider to drop, say 10dB,
> it is pretty accurate.
>
> Bobby/N4AU

Hi Bobby,

you have misunderstood the query, the WSPR beacon message format
includes the transmitter power in dBm.

[...]

Bruce KX4AZ

I have had many hours of fun over the past few years, transmitting very weak WSPR signals at <0 dBm (1 milliwatt) output power.  My most recent "experiments" were at a level close to -20 dBm, aka 10 microwatts.  Still spotted a few hundred miles away by a few stations.  I do wish there were a way to advertise power levels lower than 0 dBm, the lower limit in the current WSPR protocol.  I assume the protocol can't easily modified to do that without breaking the decoding ability.