Locked Question #Windows10

Neil Foster

I was just in my applications settings to remove an application I no longer use. In scrolling down I noticed about 19 copies of WSJT Many with the same date. What is that all about?
Neil   N4FN

Bill Somerville

On 18/10/2021 20:12, Neil Foster wrote:
I was just in my applications settings to remove an application I no longer use. In scrolling down I noticed about 19 copies of WSJT Many with the same date. What is that all about?
Neil   N4FN
Hi Neil,

assuming you used the default option when upgrading WSJT-X they are just small entries in the registry, you can ignore them as they take up a trivial amount of space. Unfortunately Windows 10 no longer offers an easy way of removing Apps and Features entries that are no longer refer to installed files.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

How many times have you tried to install it?

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 10/18/2021 2:12 PM, Neil Foster wrote:

I was just in my applications settings to remove an application I no longer use. In scrolling down I noticed about 19 copies of WSJT Many with the same date. What is that all about?
Neil   N4FN

Michael Black

Every time a new WSJT-X version is installed it overwrites the old directory but creates a new Apps entry.
It's best to "unnstall" WSJT-X before installing a new version or install each in it's own directory -- I tag on the version # to the directory so I now have \WSJT\WSJTX250 for example.

There are 3 ways to remove old duplicate entries.

#1 Reinstall the older version and uninstall it (not likely to have older versions)
#2 Edit the registry to remove them (yuck!)
#3 Use a utility that does it

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 02:14:35 PM CDT, Neil Foster <archernf@...> wrote:

I was just in my applications settings to remove an application I no longer use. In scrolling down I noticed about 19 copies of WSJT Many with the same date. What is that all about?
Neil   N4FN

Neil Foster

Found it.....I just missed the box to check off....TNX

Neil Foster

Many thanks Bill,
I appreciate your help and courtesy
73 es stay well
Neil   N4FN

Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...>

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 08:14 PM, Neil Foster wrote:
I was just in my applications settings to remove an application I no longer use. In scrolling down I noticed about 19 copies of WSJT Many with the same date. What is that all about?
Neil   N4FN
Hi Neil, although as Bill has already explained the several superfluous instances of the WSJT-X app aren't in any way troublesome I do find their presence to be mildly irritating - perhaps because I generally like things to be nice and clean and tidy...  :-)

My solution to getting rid of the unwanted entries is occasionally to run a freeware app called Revo Uninstaller to remove all the instances of WSJT-X from my 'radio' PC and then to re-install the latest release.  If you do use the Revo app to clean things up then the only thing to be careful of if/when you do a scan to delete all the redundant registry entries, files and folders is that you don't inadvertently delete the WSJT-X-related files in the default 'user' folder - you just need to ensure that you untick the relevant boxes when Revo invites you to delete all the no-longer-needed files and folders.

I've used Revo Uninstaller for quite a few years on  a variety of PCs running Windows from (I think) XP onwards and have never had any problems arising from its use.

HTH,

--
Martin G0HDB