WARNING GPS u-blox driver and NTP #Timesync #Windows10

Jim Pennino

In the latest Windows update an updated u-blox driver showed up, so I installed it.

Wrong move.

This driver causes the GPS receiver to show up as a sensor instead of a COM port which breaks NTP.

If you do this, you will have to go to sensors in device manager and remove the device AND the driver for it and restart to get NTP working again.

Brad, K8ZM

What's even more fun is when windows swaps your driver for the GPS and makes it a mouse.  Try chasing it all over your screen as it moves with the GPS data stream.....hilarious !!

Brad, K8ZM

S10 "Not So" Smartphone

In the latest Windows update an updated u-blox driver showed up, so I installed it.

Wrong move.

This driver causes the GPS receiver to show up as a sensor instead of a COM port which breaks NTP.

If you do this, you will have to go to sensors in device manager and remove the device AND the driver for it and restart to get NTP working again.

Michel Bernard VE2BJG

This reminds me of good old Windows NT4 running on Industrial PC's used on Canadian Coast Guard hovercrafts ECDIS systems. Same bug. If you booted the PC with GPS already running using the serial port, NT would convert it into a mouse. This drove the captain nuts.... Some time later a freeware utility to freeze COM port detection became available.