MAP65 Installation #map65

Ian Morrison <ve7ai73@...>

Hi Joe
Thank you for your reply.

Linrad is set up to send tf2 at 96000 to the network.

Any thoughts on why my MAP65 installation only receives starting at the zero second to second six, does a decode and the receive shuts off until the next zero second?

The wide graph is only adding traces for six seconds.

73
Ian
VE7AI

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 8:25 AM Joe <joe@...> wrote:
Hi Ian,

Behavior of the MAP65 files that you describe is exactly as it should be.  Xpol data files have extension .tf2 and are opened when Xpol is selected.  Single-polarization files are half as big, have the .iq extension, and are opened whan Xpol is not selected.

Opening a file causes MAP65 to read and decode the entire file.  Normally this takes just a few seconds.  A screenshot showing MAP65 after reading Xpol example file 061111_0745.tf2 is attached.  Seven EME signals are found and decoded.

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Joe

Hi Ian,

Behavior of the MAP65 files that you describe is exactly as it should be.  Xpol data files have extension .tf2 and are opened when Xpol is selected.  Single-polarization files are half as big, have the .iq extension, and are opened whan Xpol is not selected.

Opening a file causes MAP65 to read and decode the entire file.  Normally this takes just a few seconds.  A screenshot showing MAP65 after reading Xpol example file 061111_0745.tf2 is attached.  Seven EME signals are found and decoded.

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Ian Morrison <ve7ai73@...>

Hi Bill

Checked the configuration several times all seems good.

Did an uninstall and a fresh download and copied the demo files.

The first is an iq type file of 19 MB and can only be selected if x pol is set.

The second is a tf2 type file of 38 MB and can only be selected by MAP65 if x pol is not set (single polarization)

Both files run for a few seconds and stop. The wide spectrum advances but no signals are visible.

Have you tried these files with MAP65 3.0 ?

73
Ian

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 3:55 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
Hi Ian,

the "Decode" button should turn cyan for a second or more at around seconds 51 and 57 of the minute (depends on the modes selected). The correct timing of the decoder activity also depends on the correct sample rates being selected, are you you using the default 96000 rate, and does that match the rate that Linrad is sending I/Q data at? Do you have the MAP65 Xpol setting set correctly for your system?

On 14/10/2021 11:47, Ian Morrison wrote:
Hi Bill

I have not yet seen a MAP65 operating normally. What time does the decode light normally blink?
Does the decode light blink even if a decode is not likely? Is the decoder solely time initiated?
Any bit of information will give me a direction to snoop.

73
Ian

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 3:22 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
Hi Ian,

yes that may be a clue, but I have no idea what is happening. Perhaps a conversation with one of the other EME ops using Linrad as a source for MAP65 may help discover what is different about your system.

On 13/10/2021 23:36, Ian Morrison wrote:
Hi Bill
The timing is curious isn't it?
Always starts receiving at the zero second of the minute and stops at seven seconds.

73
Ian

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:40 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 13/10/2021 22:30, Ian Morrison wrote:
> Hi Bill
> I moved the UDP port in Linrad back to 50004 instead of taking Linrads
> assignment and get the same result.
> also did a restart same result. This windows 10 PC is brand new and
> has no other software loaded but Windows 10, Linrad and WSJT-X with
> MAP65 3.0.
> Used netstat -ab to check who is using what ports and found Edge may
> be using 50024.
> The end of the 7 seconds shows a decode light but the rx stays off
> until the next minute zero.
>
> 73 Ian

Hi Ian,

I doubt Edge is using UDP on any port so that is not an issue, TCP and
UDP are separate.

The only requirement on port numbers is that whatever you set in the
MAP65 settings for the port to listen on (default is 50004) must be the
same port you have Linrad sending on. Whichever port being used will
have to be opened on the Windows machine firewall for incoming UDP
traffic to MAP65.

Ephemeral ports are granted to processes on some internal basis by the
operating system, a restart should always sort out any issues where the
o/s has granted a port you want to use to another process.

So I am not sure what is happening. Other MAP65 users are able to use
Linrad to feed I/Q data to MAP65 so it would appear to be something
specific to your machine.

> [...]

So I am not sure what is happening. Other MAP65 users are able to use Linrad to feed I/Q data to MAP65 so it would appear to be something specific to your machine.

Ian Morrison <ve7ai73@...>

Hi Bill
I moved the UDP port in Linrad back to 50004 instead of taking Linrads assignment and get the same result.
also did a restart same result. This windows 10 PC is brand new and has no other software loaded but Windows 10, Linrad and WSJT-X with MAP65 3.0.
Used netstat -ab to check who is using what ports and found Edge may be using 50024.
The end of the 7 seconds shows a decode light but the rx stays off until the next minute zero.

ve7ai73@...

Hi Bill
Thank you for the reply

Linrad tells me to use 50024 which is the only one that works.
What other process might use 50024 ? How would I find it ?

73
Ian

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 1:38 PM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 13/10/2021 15:51, ve7ai73@... wrote:
> My installation of MAP65 3.0 is receiving for only 7 seconds at the
> start of each minute and the the receiving stops.
> I am using Linrad to send UDP packets. I checked with Wireshark and
> the UDP packets are continuous no breaks.
> Using Windows 10. Any thoughts?

OM,

is it possible that another process is also listening for UDP datagrams
on port 50004? As that is in the ephemeral port number range on MS
Windows it is possible it has been granted to another process, does a
system restart improve matters?