locked Working split

chas cartmel

May I ask those responding to a CQ who are moving to the caller’s frequency to then QSY when QSO is completed. It is best to keep your transmit frequency selected to avoid this. It is unnecessary to move to the CQers frequency.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Mark Gregory

I tend to lock the tx frequency and then fake the split I do not operate on the callers frequency, using the waterfall display to help, like anytime in radio listen listen and listen again so your on as far as you can tell a less busy frequency.
Mark G4LCH

On 9 Oct 2021, at 11:24, chas cartmel <chas@...> wrote:

May I ask those responding to a CQ who are moving to the caller’s frequency to then QSY when QSO is completed. It is best to keep your transmit frequency selected to avoid this. It is unnecessary to move to the CQers frequency.

<image002.png>

73 Charlie
G4EST
Stay safe out there

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

It looks like the caller in question has a large drift - ~1 Hz/minute.

BTW I second your request.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

n1ig.anthony@...

 Not every caller seems to answer replies on my original tx freq.  even though they saw me on freq A, they only reply when I reply on their freq B.

doesn’t make sense to me, but it sometimes is the case.

Anthony - N1IG

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I set my WSJT-X software for FAKE IT or SPLIT to control the K3S radio.  It really makes no difference in my case.   When I answer a CQ, I double click on the calling station and let the software do the rest.    When I call CQ, I choose what I see as a clear frequency on my waterfall and call.    When a station calls me, maybe on my frequency or a different frequency, again I let the software do the rest.    When I choose to use Hold TX Freq that is done when the band is crowded and I find a clear frequency on my receiving end.

Frankly, I don't see that any of these methods is a massive benefit or a hindrance.   It is just an enjoyable hobby and working stations on FT-8 or FT-4 is more like shooting birds in a cage.  So easy.

73
Bob, K4TAX

chas cartmel

Bob
I think you have missed the point here, the software does it’s own thing regardless, no interference needed.
The issue is that some stations who are not using the ‘Hold Frequency’ feature call the CQ station on their frequency, complete the QSO, and then proceed to call CQ themselves on that frequency instead of moving off.

There is nothing wrong with responding to a CQ station on their frequency so long as you remember to QSY when the QSO is over. If ‘Hold Frequency’ is set you don’t need to.

On phone you wouldn’t start calling CQ on the frequency already held by a station when your QSO is over.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

I set my WSJT-X software for FAKE IT or SPLIT to control the K3S radio.  It really makes no difference in my case.   When I answer a CQ, I double click on the calling station and let the software do the rest.    When I call CQ, I choose what I see as a clear frequency on my waterfall and call.    When a station calls me, maybe on my frequency or a different frequency, again I let the software do the rest.    When I choose to use Hold TX Freq that is done when the band is crowded and I find a clear frequency on my receiving end.

Frankly, I don't see that any of these methods is a massive benefit or a hindrance.   It is just an enjoyable hobby and working stations on FT-8 or FT-4 is more like shooting birds in a cage.  So easy.

73
Bob, K4TAX

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Carl - WC4H

You hit the nail on the head Charlie.

73.
Carl - WC4H

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

When working stations calling CQ I work them on their frequency and then move on to the next station calling CQ on their frequency.  I never take over a frequency.   When I call CQ I try to pick a frequency not being used or one where I see no decodes.  Therefore I working only those stations calling CQ and not calling CQ myself.

Seems that many ops have different operating schemes, some good, some not so good.  With me not being a contest operator, nor a DX chaser, I'm rarely into the fray of battle on the bands, unlike many others.

I choose to use decode CQ ONLY and just work those on their frequency.  I see no harm in doing this and consider it to be a good neighbor policy as to band usage.

Be critical of my operating as you wish.  But as the song goes "that's my story and I'm sticking to it"

73
Bob, K4TAX

Sam Birnbaum

Hi Bob,

An upvote from me.

73,

Sam W2JDB

[...]

groups@...

I'm not happy with the language used in this thread earlier today and have just deleted a message with intemperate language. I will close this thread if it happens again.

I know some members have strong views on certain operating practices but that is not an excuse for lowering the standards of discussion.

I expect all views to be stated in a respectful and polite manner.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
moderator

Jason B

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 06:11 AM, chas cartmel wrote:

May I ask those responding to a CQ who are moving to the caller’s frequency to then QSY when QSO is completed. It is best to keep your transmit frequency selected to avoid this. It is unnecessary to move to the CQers frequency.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

For more info visit www.bullguard.com
Typically what I do, is try and find a clear timeslot and park there. I don't shift to the operators frequency I'm responding to because I'm scared I'll step on someone who is using the same frequency on the other slot. Every few minutes I'll stop and make sure I'm not being stepped on and QSY if I'm interfering/being interfered with. So far that's worked for me.