locked #Windows10 resets default audio device #Windows10

Pete Singleton

I have had all the usual audio issues with Win10 power management and HDMI audio.  I seem to have bludgeoned Win10 into not power-managing my audio devices - not easy!  But:

Sometimes, rarely, Win 10 decides that my codec is the default audio device, so 'System Sounds' and browser audio go towards the radio.  Interestingly they are muted when this happens - a vestige of shame on the part of the OS?

Fix:
*  Control panel/Sounds and set the correct default device.
*  Unload QSJT-x,
*  use Sound Settings/Manage devices to disable the codec
*  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper speakers.
*  use Sound Settings/Manage devices to enable the codec
*  reload WSJT-x
*  In WSJT-x do a 'Tune' to generate audio
*  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

and done until the next time!

73 de M0PTB
PeteS

I really, really hate Win10

Colin

Pete,

Thanks for the tip – I like it.

I’m sure you’ll be happy?!? to know Windows 11 came out 2 days ago…

Of 5 computers I expected it can run on, only 1 will support it…  yay Microsoft.

Will let you know if I learn anything knew if it will install…

73 de Colin VE3MSC

[...]

Bob Lewis

I had that same problem intermittently. I found that if I always had a default speaker and default microphone connected to the computer sound card then the OS wouldn’t set my radio interface to the default devices. Since I don’t use a microphone on the computer I inserted a dummy plug with a 1K resistor across it into the microphone jack and then set it as the default in Windows. My computer speaker is set as the default speaker. It hasn’t changed by itself since.

[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

*  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

I really, really hate Win10
Pete,

The codec is a USB audio device.
Unless you start up Windows every time with all USB audio devices connected then the audio devices will get re-arranged when a USB audio device is added. This is true for all versions of Windows.

If you do not disable the HDMI audio then the monitor must always be on. Turning it off removes an audio device.
The same with many on-board audio devices with jack detection. Plug in/unplug a mic or speakers again re-orders audio devices.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Michael Black

FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default" which at least keeps your computer sounds from going out your rig.

Mike W9MDB

Inline image

On Thursday, October 7, 2021, 04:05:39 PM CDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> *  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

> I really, really hate Win10

Pete,

The codec is a USB audio device.
Unless you start up Windows every time with all USB audio devices
connected then the audio devices will get re-arranged when a USB audio
device is added. This is true for all versions of Windows.

If you do not disable the HDMI audio then the monitor must always be on.
Turning it off removes an audio device.
The same with many on-board audio devices with jack detection. Plug
in/unplug a mic or speakers again re-orders audio devices.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Chuck Moore <wd4hxg@...>

Hot Digity Dog.

Thanks for the heads up.

On Oct 7, 2021, at 6:01 PM, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default" which at least keeps your computer sounds from going out your rig.

Mike W9MDB

<1633643182430blob.jpg>

Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default"
Good!
They have been playing with Windows sound for a long while.
One thing we can do is comment. I'm sorry I've forgotten exactly where but some time ago I requested that an on-board card could be defined permanently as default. If enough ask then they may take notice.

A while ago they enabled sounds from, say, a browser to be directed where it is wanted. Edge connected to a SDR fed by VAC to a decoder is now possible with no interference to other audio. Things are getting better for technical users.

They keep making changes, it must be difficult to satisfy everyone.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Unfortunately to run W11 you need at least an 8th generation Intel CPU. My laptop has one, but the shack computer is only 7th gen.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

chas cartmel

Not true.
I have windows 11 on my AMD systems, one several years old.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

Unfortunately to run W11 you need at least an 8th generation Intel CPU. My laptop has one, but the shack computer is only 7th gen. ☹

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default" which at least keeps your computer sounds from going out your rig.

Mike W9MDB

Inline image

On Thursday, October 7, 2021, 04:05:39 PM CDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> *  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

> I really, really hate Win10

Pete,

The codec is a USB audio device.
Unless you start up Windows every time with all USB audio devices
connected then the audio devices will get re-arranged when a USB audio
device is added. This is true for all versions of Windows.

If you do not disable the HDMI audio then the monitor must always be on.
Turning it off removes an audio device.
The same with many on-board audio devices with jack detection. Plug
in/unplug a mic or speakers again re-orders audio devices.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Yeah MS did it kind of crazy.  To upgrade you need to have TPM 2.0.  That requirement can be circumvented if you do a fresh Win11 install.

__________

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

Unfortunately to run W11 you need at least an 8th generation Intel CPU. My laptop has one, but the shack computer is only 7th gen.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default" which at least keeps your computer sounds from going out your rig.

Mike W9MDB

Inline image

On Thursday, October 7, 2021, 04:05:39 PM CDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> *  check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

> I really, really hate Win10

Pete,

The codec is a USB audio device.
Unless you start up Windows every time with all USB audio devices
connected then the audio devices will get re-arranged when a USB audio
device is added. This is true for all versions of Windows.

If you do not disable the HDMI audio then the monitor must always be on.
Turning it off removes an audio device.
The same with many on-board audio devices with jack detection. Plug
in/unplug a mic or speakers again re-orders audio devices.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

William Smith

Cue the ButCeptFer:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/does-windows-11-require-tpm-20-we-have-good-news-and-bad-news

/*
Specifically, "unsupported" Windows 11 PCs won't be entitled to receive Windows Updates and could miss out on security and driver updates. Microsoft also warns that older PCs running Windows 11 may become unstable, face issues support agents can't solve
*/

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Oct 8, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Dan Malcolm <K4SHQ@...> wrote:

Yeah MS did it kind of crazy. To upgrade you need to have TPM 2.0. That requirement can be circumvented if you do a fresh Win11 install.

__________
Dan – K4SHQ
CFI/II

Unfortunately to run W11 you need at least an 8th generation Intel CPU. My laptop has one, but the shack computer is only 7th gen. ☹

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

FYI...in Windows 11 you can now set up an audio device with "do not make default" which at least keeps your computer sounds from going out your rig.

Mike W9MDB

<image001.png>

On Thursday, October 7, 2021, 04:05:39 PM CDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

* check with Volume mixer that all the audio is going to the proper places.

I really, really hate Win10

Pete,

The codec is a USB audio device.
Unless you start up Windows every time with all USB audio devices
connected then the audio devices will get re-arranged when a USB audio
device is added. This is true for all versions of Windows.

If you do not disable the HDMI audio then the monitor must always be on.
Turning it off removes an audio device.
The same with many on-board audio devices with jack detection. Plug
in/unplug a mic or speakers again re-orders audio devices.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Gilbert Baron

Maybe it an be but why would you want to suffer that. Stick with W10 or buy a new PC. W10 is not going away any time soon.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

[...]

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Gene Horr

Google "Win 11 Lab Mode".  That will give you instructions on how to run Win 11 on older computers.  Note that you lose some of the malware protection that is newish for Win 11 but you still have the base Win 10 style protection in place.

From the reviews Lab Mode on older computers runs Win 11 just fine.  You do have a performance hit for games but so do the newer computers.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

I've run Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on this old computer for a long time.   I take all the automatic updates from Microsoft.  I run a paid subscription of Malware Bytes and a paid subscription to AVG anti-virus software.  I also use CCleaner, paid version, for part of my regular maintenance discipline.

I don't use any of the free stuff from unknown sources.  I view that much like some of the "free stuff" offered by the 18-year-old standing on the street corner.  There is no telling what one might contract.

I'm also very careful to have all of my USB devices connected, although the equipment itself may not be powered on, at all times.   I use a 7 port product, TP-Link, for this.   Especially when the computer is first powered up allows Windows to see the needed and assigned ports.

I don't leave the computer running when I'm away from the station.   Yes, I know it takes a few minutes to boot but I figure I spend less time waiting on the computer to boot as opposed to having to spend frustrating hours resolving issues.

I find there are many attempts to ping and enter the system.  These data breaches can change parameters and settings and one not know it.   I've eliminated all social media accounts from this computer.  These are tooooooo easy to hack and gain access to the computer.    With my software and good firewalls active, I still see, via my monitoring system,  10 to 20 failed daily attempts to gain access to my system.  The hackers are out there looking and pinging.   Don't leave the door open or your pants down.

The smart operation of one's computer is a valued asset.  Regular external back-ups, regular malware scans, regular virus scans, and other maintenance operations are a must in today's world of reliable computer operation.  Like one motor oil company advertised,  "pay me now, or pay me later".   I find that paying later is much much more expensive and time-consuming.

As to Windows 11, my old computers don't have the recognized processors nor do they have the required TPM 2.0.   Microsoft advises not to install Windows 11 on a non-compliant computer.  Oh it may "work" and you can do so with an ISO file,  but I think you will find that issues may abound.  Are you ready for this frustration or just ready to start cussing Microsoft?   You've been warned.

73
Bob, K4TAX

73
Bob, K4TAX

Gilbert Baron

I agree with most of your post except

“I run a paid subscription of Malware Bytes and a paid subscription to AVG anti-virus software.  I also use CCleaner, paid version, for part of my regular maintenance discipline.  “

I see no reason to pay for these or even to use them. Defender AND Password manager, AND 321 backup is all that you need.  Three copies, Two different kinds of media, One offsite. That is all that you need.

Neither Defender nor any other malware detector is going to protect you from zero day attacks anyway,