locked FT-1000MP frequency shift on transmit with FT-1000MP with SignaLink USB? #FT8 #Yaesu

Mike KM2B

On Sat, Oct 2, 2021 at 12:53 PM, Bill Somerville wrote:
make sure you have the DELAY knob on the SignaLink USB interface set to minimum.
Bill,

Bingo!!!!

I went down to the basement and the SignaLink USB delay was set half way between min and max (pointed straight up).

I rotated it completely counter clockwise to minimum and everything is back to working correctly without receive frequency shift with "fake it".

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input and thank you again.

Mike KM2B

--
Mike - KM2B

Mike KM2B

Bill,

I will check that.   I may have been moved but generally that is where it is.

Thank you again.

Mike
--
Mike - KM2B

Mike KM2B

William,

Good thought!   Thanks.  I will check for RFI this evening or in the morning and let you know.

Appreciate your response
--
Mike - KM2B

Bill Somerville

On 02/10/2021 17:14, mike s wrote:
Bill,

Thank you.   Thank you for the clarification of the frequency shift.

Yes, I have been using "fake it" to split the transceiver transmit frequency from the receive frequency for about two years with zero problems.

Two days ago, however, both the receive frequency and the transmit frequency began to move.   By the third transmission in a sequence during a QSO, I can no longer hear any of the FT8 signals in the passband anymore and I have lost the contact I was making......without fail.

On the video I posted you can see the receive frequency stepping away from its first setting which is where I started after setting the frequency for 80m using wsjt-x.

Something disabling and different is happening and any other thoughts you might have would be great.   I completely understand fake it moves the transmit frequency around to manage where in the passband transmit occurs.

But, the receive frequency, my perception, never changed before.  It stayed on the frequency set by wsjt-x.

Thank you again.

--
Mike - KM2B
Hi Mike,

make sure you have the DELAY knob on the SignaLink USB interface set to minimum.

William Smith

Could this be an effect of RFI? Your radio moves to transmit in the middle of the passband, and fails to move back because of RFI corrupting that command? You say nothing else has changed, but corrosion and age could have had an effect on your antenna system...

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Oct 2, 2021, at 12:14 PM, mike s <mike.km2b@...> wrote:

[...]

On 02/10/2021 11:51, mike s wrote:
Everyone,

I am using an FT-1000MP with wsjt-x (multiple versions) with a SignaLink USB audio interface.

You can find my Radio Setup Screen and Audio Setup Screen  and a video of the behavior described below on transmit here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wpahFAtUDy6p6gAf7 <https://photos.app.goo.gl/wpahFAtUDy6p6gAf7>

I have successfully utlized wsjt-x for FT-8 with the FT-1000MP almost from the initial introduction of that mode.   Years now.
I correctly set up my FT-1000MP based on the SignaLink instructions for USER mode here:
http://www.tigertronics.com/ft1000mp.htm <http://www.tigertronics.com/ft1000mp.htm>

I am using the USER mode which activates PKT + LSB on the front panel but with the above instructions I end up on USB.   This has worked for all digital modes for years.

I correctly setup SignaLink USB  for Windows 7 based on instructions here:
http://www.tigertronics.com/windows7_8_10_SLUSB.htm <http://www.tigertronics.com/windows7_8_10_SLUSB.htm>

This setup worked beautifully until a two days ago when suddenly, I noticed that, upon transmit from wsjt-x the frequency was shifting down by -0.5 MHz with many, but, not all transmissions initiated from wsjt-x.

After two transmissions, the contact lost my signal due to frequency shift (that was my first heads up).

The frequency shift does not occur outside of wsjt-x transmit.

Now, two days later, I have migrated to the latest version of wsjt-x (previously was using
2.3.1 from May, 2021 now using 2.5, gone through all my menu settings and checked and rechecked setup settings in wsjt-x to no avail.

Oddly, when I first noticed the the shift it was negative.  Today it is positive.  Always it is 0.5 MHz in step size.

I have carefully gone through the FT-1000MP menu system for hours and all looks OK to me.

The shift does NOT occur outside of wsjt-x when I transmit outside of User Mode.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would be interested to hear them.  I am, now, two days on, at a loss.

--
Mike - KM2B
Mike,

the shift you are seeing is 500 Hz, not 500 kHz as you incorrectly state.

WSJT-X is behaving correctly, there is nothing wrong! You have selected ""Settings->Radio->Split Operating->Fake It", you chose to do that, and it is the best setting for your rig. That causes the software to adjust your rig's VFO dial frequency and Tx audio tones to always keep the tones in the 1500 Hz to 1999 Hz range, which is optimal for use with an SSB transmitter.

Mike KM2B