locked General Availability (GA) Release of WSJT-X version 2.5.0 #GeneralGroupInfo

Chuck Adams

From K1JT:

We are pleased to announce the General Availability (GA) release of WSJT-X version 2.5.0. New features are described in the WSJT-X User Guide here:
and also Release Notes:
On Windows platforms, WSJT-X 2.5 includes MAP65 3.0.0, a wideband polarization-matching tool intended for EME.
Links to WSJT-X 2.5.0 installation packages for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh are available here:
You can also download the packages from our SourceForge site:
It may take a short time for the SourceForge site to be updated.
WSJT-X for Windows now ships with Hamlib built as a dynamic link library (DLL). This change will allow Hamlib bug fixes to be resolved by replacing the DLL with an updated version.

Roger

On 28/09/2021 03:03, Chuck Adams wrote:
From K1JT:
We are pleased to announce the General Availability (GA) release of WSJT-X version 2.5.0. New features are described in the WSJT-X User Guide here:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES ( https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES )
and also Release Notes:
https://physics.princeton.edu//pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt ( https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/Release_Notes.txt )
On Windows platforms, WSJT-X 2.5 includes MAP65 3.0.0, a wideband polarization-matching tool intended for EME.
Links to WSJT-X 2.5.0 installation packages for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh are available here:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
You can also download the packages from our SourceForge site:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/
It may take a short time for the SourceForge site to be updated.
WSJT-X for Windows now ships with Hamlib built as a dynamic link library (DLL). This change will allow Hamlib bug fixes to be resolved by replacing the DLL with an updated version.
Good morning Chuck

This came up for moderation this morning, probably because the hashtag was not on the existing list.

There's already too many hashtags and I'd spend some time yesterday removing a few which have recently crept through.

I made a rapid decision to change the hashtag to #GeneralGroupInfo on the basis the rest of the subject make the topic clear. I hope you understand and this is OK with you.

This hashtag has the disadvantage that it's moderator only but the advantage that subsequent discussions will be split into discreet subjects rather than a large unwieldy one.

My apologies if you are not happy with my choice.

Kind regards
Roger
GW4HZA

Larry Crouch

neil_zampella

Don't know where you got that URL link, as its not listed on the main WSJT-X page.   All that's there are the 64 bit versions, which may say something about support for 32 bit on Linux.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 9/28/2021 5:28 AM, Larry Crouch wrote:
The 32bit version is a 404. https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_2.5.0_i386.deb

Larry Crouch

From this page which is a link in the email listing new features

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES

Bill Somerville

On 28/09/2021 11:57, Larry Crouch wrote:
From this page which is a link in the email listing new features

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES <https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES>
Hi Larry,

that's a defect in the WSJT-X User Guide. We stopped providing 32-bit Intel Linux binary packages some time ago as the distributions we target no longer provide operating system updates for 32-bit distributions (Ubuntu and Fedora). You can still build a 32-bit Intel Linux version from sources as far as I know, although I no longer test that capability.

neil_zampella

I suspect the User Guide is a bit ahead of the dev team's posting compiled packages.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 9/28/2021 5:57 AM, Larry Crouch wrote:
>From this page which is a link in the email listing new features

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.5.0.html#NEW_FEATURES

Paul Turner

2.5.0 installed smoothly and easily – as ever. Thanks to all the developers.

73, Paul G4IJE.

We are pleased to announce the General Availability (GA) release of WSJT-X version 2.5.0. New features are described in the WSJT-X User Guide here:

and also Release Notes:

On Windows platforms, WSJT-X 2.5 includes MAP65 3.0.0, a wideband polarization-matching tool intended for EME.

Links to WSJT-X 2.5.0 installation packages for Windows, Linux, and Macintosh are available here:

You can also download the packages from our SourceForge site:

It may take a short time for the SourceForge site to be updated.

WSJT-X for Windows now ships with Hamlib built as a dynamic link library (DLL). This change will allow Hamlib bug fixes to be resolved by replacing the DLL with an updated version.

Geoff,G4FKA

Same here, v2.5.0 downloaded and installed perfectly. One thing I do notice is that there seem to be a much wider range of received signal strengths, with quite a few lower than they might have been with previous releases. Maybe WSJT-X, maybe recent Windows updates altering the CODEC settings. No problems operating, just rather disconcerting when I sent -01 to an N4 earlier and got +30 back!

Joe Dz

I noticed a similar thing on the evening of 10/02 on 10m FT8.  There was a good opening from W1 land to LU and PY land, and I was getting -15 to +05 and I was giving out +20 and most around +10.  Interesting.

Joe, K1YOW

Same here, v2.5.0 downloaded and installed perfectly. One thing I do notice is that there seem to be a much wider range of received signal strengths, with quite a few lower than they might have been with previous releases. Maybe WSJT-X, maybe recent Windows updates altering the CODEC settings. No problems operating, just rather disconcerting when I sent -01 to an N4 earlier and got +30 back!

Bill, WB6JJJ

I don’t feel so bad…. I have been giving +10 to +20 but receiving -15 to -20 dB.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Oct 2, 2021, at 9:09 AM, Joe Dz <joedzekevich@...> wrote:

I noticed a similar thing on the evening of 10/02 on 10m FT8.  There was a good opening from W1 land to LU and PY land, and I was getting -15 to +05 and I was giving out +20 and most around +10.  Interesting.

Joe, K1YOW

Same here, v2.5.0 downloaded and installed perfectly. One thing I do notice is that there seem to be a much wider range of received signal strengths, with quite a few lower than they might have been with previous releases. Maybe WSJT-X, maybe recent Windows updates altering the CODEC settings. No problems operating, just rather disconcerting when I sent -01 to an N4 earlier and got +30 back!

Bill Somerville

Hi Bill,

excessively optimistic signal reports are often due to restricted receiver bandwidth. The FT8 decoder relies on a reasonably flat receiver bandwidth across the displayed waterfall, and at least 2500 Hz wide. Narrower input data bandwidth will cause underestimation of the noise level.