FT8 messages for moving folks to different bands #EnhancementReqest

Terry

Currently, there is no set way to tell folks to QSY to another band. This is VERY important in VHF contests and one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the mode. On slower bands I use TX5 to send "W4XYZ 432174". This way it lights up red on their screen and hopefully they see it and understand what to do. On 2m and especially on 6m when things get really busy, the extra sequence it takes can accumulate of time to be a problem. Of course FT4 would be faster but very few use it for some reason.

Is there some way that TX3 or 4 could be changed to include "QSY C" for go to 222 or "QSY D" for 432 and so on? This would at least notify the other station you are currently listening to the band you've ask them to QSY to.

Charles Albert

Why not just a button marked (let's say) QSY that when clicked pops up a sub-menu with a list of bands?

You click QSY, click your band, and it sends (again let's say) "WAABC QSY 2m"

Take Care & 73

--
de KC6UFM
Charles

Bill Somerville

On 17/09/2021 15:27, Terry wrote:
Currently, there is no set way to tell folks to QSY to another band. This is VERY important in VHF contests and one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the mode. On slower bands I use TX5 to send "W4XYZ 432174". This way it lights up red on their screen and hopefully they see it and understand what to do. On 2m and especially on 6m when things get really busy, the extra sequence it takes can accumulate of time to be a problem. Of course FT4 would be faster but very few use it for some reason.

Is there some way that TX3 or 4 could be changed to include "QSY C" for go to 222 or "QSY D" for 432 and so on? This would at least notify the other station you are currently listening to the band you've ask them to QSY to.
Hi Terry,

the message source encoding for the 77-bit modes like FT8 is fully described here:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT4_FT8_QEX.pdf

I don't see what's wrong with setting up some free text messages, perhaps with just a frequency, select and send one after a QSO. For example a 2m QSO might be followed by a simple free text message

"432.220 PSE"

Buddy Morgan

Since the early days of FT8, on 2M, I have had free text messages set up. QSY 432.174, 432.174? 1296.174? etc. It works for us, here in the South Eastern United States.

Buddy WB4OMG

> Currently, there is no set way to tell folks to QSY to another band.
> This is VERY important in VHF contests and one of the biggest
> complaints I've heard about the mode. On slower bands I use TX5 to
> send "W4XYZ 432174". This way it lights up red on their screen and
> hopefully they see it and understand what to do. On 2m and especially
> on 6m when things get really busy, the extra sequence it takes can
> accumulate of time to be a problem. Of course FT4 would be faster but
> very few use it for some reason.
>
> Is there some way that TX3 or 4 could be changed to include "QSY C"
> for go to 222 or "QSY D" for 432 and so on? This would at least notify
> the other station you are currently listening to the band you've ask
> them to QSY to.

Hi Terry,

the message source encoding for the 77-bit modes like FT8 is fully
described here:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/FT4_FT8_QEX.pdf

I don't see what's wrong with setting up some free text messages,
perhaps with just a frequency, select and send one after a QSO. For
example a 2m QSO might be followed by a simple free text message

"432.220 PSE"

Steve Kavanagh

I have used various versions of free text messages with some success.  However, what is missing is a way to get both callsigns in plus the QSY request message.  One thing I don't know is - if the other station's callsign is in a free text message, will it be recognized and result in red highlighting?

A special QSY message format would be so much nicer, though, with both callsigns hashed, and a short set of bits representing QSY, plus a frequency entered as free text (which might itself be encoded in less bits - you don't really need to send the MHz, but rather just a short code representing the appropriate ham band).

73,
Steve VE3SMA