moderated WSJT-X & Alinco DX- Sr8 T #txaudio #Alinco

medicdave220@...

I am new to WSJT_X. I have an Alinco DX - SR8T HF Radio, interface to my radio is a signal link usb.  I am using WSJT_X version 2.4.0.  I have tried it in both 64 and 32 bit versions on windows 10/7/xp.
My problem is EVERY time I go into transmit, it resets my audio settings, and locks up my radio/signal link in transmit.  To make it even more interesting, it also resets my audio settings on both computers that I have running, and also opens various folders on them.  I have checked and rechecked the setup, multiple times, each time following the instructions for my signal link, and wsjt-x setup.  My antenna is about 35 feet from my radio room. I have put all new iron ferrite collars on all my cables.
My main computer is a HP Gaming computer. One laptop (win 7/64) is a HP dv6000, the other is an older dell.

HELP !!

73's
Dave Chaffee KC3NRI

William Smith

Sounds almost certainly like RFI, try transmitting at very very low power and/or into a dummy load.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 16, 2021, at 5:00 PM, medicdave220@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Michael Black

And what happens if you turn power way down or use a dummy load....does it work OK then?

Sounds like RF in the shack.

How is your shack grounded?

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 04:00:13 PM CDT, <medicdave220@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Guys,

My shack is grounded with 4 foot of copper rod buried in the ground, connected by 6 gauge solid copper wire to bus bar.  each unit is connected to bus bar with 10 gauge copper wire. power level does not matter. I have adjusted both radio power output and changed it in the WSJT-X software. With the exception of the antenna coax for both my radios ( I have a 50 watt quad band mobile I use for 6/2 meter) all interconnect cables just got new iron ferrite collars.  I dont have any problems with my quad band, just the Alinco and digital modes.  I also run a DMR hot spot with no issues. The only issue is between the radio, either computer, and the signal link.  Nothing else in the house is affected.  My Dad would kick my butt if I didnt have everything hooked up with rf interference in mind !!  But that doesnt mean I cant be getting from one of those 3 items !!

--
David A Chaffee

Michael Black

And is your copper rod connected to the house ground?  Electrical code requirement in the USA...
And affects all sorts of stuff in your shack if not done.

You didn't answer the question about reducing power though or using a dummy load.  If the problem goes away it's RF in the shack.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 04:52:10 PM CDT, dave chaffee <medicdave220@...> wrote:

[...]

dave chaffee <medicdave220@...>

House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed november of last year.  I have varied output power in the wsjt program, radio, and varied the power setting on the signal link.  Only thing I havent done is the dummy load.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:57 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

As a hopefully easy test, disconnect your shack ground from the rod outside and use a ground lug on a power outlet instead.

I assume you're getting power to the shack from the house?  Not a separate meter?  IF so they all have to be bonded together...even including any chain link fence...

And have you tried using zero watts?  If you still have the problem at zero watts something really strange is going on.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 05:02:30 PM CDT, dave chaffee <medicdave220@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Brown

On 9/16/2021 2:43 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
My shack is grounded with 4 foot of copper rod buried in the ground, connected by 6 gauge solid copper wire to bus bar.  each unit is connected to bus bar with 10 gauge copper wire.
There is FAR, FAR more to grounding and bonding than that. You badly need to study N0AX's ARRL book on the topic, or the slide pdf I posted yesterday.

73, Jim K9YC

dave chaffee <medicdave220@...>

Michael,
Strange things and me are normal !!  Yes my shack is off the house power.  My shack is in our spare bedroom.  Will try the ground and power suggestions.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:07 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim,
Dont let my username fool you.  I have been doing electronic & electrical work for 40 years.  Trained in both since high school, and the Navy. BUT !!!  I will check out N0AX's book !! Never too much experience to learn something new !!

On 9/16/2021 3:02 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed november of last year.
What you have done is DEAD WRONG and UNSAFE. As W9MDB correctly pointed out, ALL grounds in a building MUST, BY LAW (Electrical Codes), be bonded together.

As to the potential for an RFI problem, ALL of the equipment in your shack should also be bonded together right at the operating desk, and coax shields should be bonded to ground BEFORE they enter your shack. Bonding those shields is also critical for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC

dave chaffee <medicdave220@...>

I have always been taught to keep the 2 systems separate.  RF grounding and house electrical should never mix. Even the electrician that did my house electrical said NO !!  At the communications center I worked at, ALL RF grounds were separate.  That being said... I am also open to learning the right way.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:
On 9/16/2021 3:02 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
> House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by
> my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced
> in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed
> november of last year.

What you have done is DEAD WRONG and UNSAFE. As W9MDB correctly pointed
out, ALL grounds in a building MUST, BY LAW (Electrical Codes), be
bonded together.

As to the potential for an RFI problem, ALL of the equipment in your
shack should also be bonded together right at the operating desk, and
coax shields should be bonded to ground BEFORE they enter your shack.
Bonding those shields is also critical for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC

--
David A Chaffee

dave chaffee <medicdave220@...>

Jim K9YC,

Your info brings one particular question to me. If it is my grounding system, why does it only affect 3 items in my shack and house, AND only when trying to do digital, specifically FT8 ?  Everything else works with no problem.
I am in no way saying you are wrong, It just doesnt make sense to me.  If it was my system, wouldnt it affect every mode I use ?  And my dad just said it sounds like I created a ground loop.  Is that what you are saying I am doing ?  And if I am, it goes back to wouldnt it affect everything in my house and every mode of operation ?  You got my brain going into overdrive.  Please without the "you idiot" attitude towards me, answer these questions. I have a very extensive knowledge, but I dont know everything.

On 9/16/2021 3:33 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
Dont let my username fool you.  I have been doing electronic & electrical work for 40 years.  Trained in both since high school, and the Navy. BUT !!!  I will check out N0AX's book !! Never too much experience to learn something new !
Hi Dave,

My BSEE is from 1964, I taught at DeVry for five years, worked in broadcasting and pro audio for almost 50 years. Like you, I've tried to learn something new every day. And I had to learn a LOT when I joined the Audio Engineering Society Standards Committee Working Group on EMC. And I learned from the BEST -- every meeting was graduate-level education, and every bit of it was applied fundamentals that I had either forgotten or not learned very well. I'm still Vice-Chair of that Working Group, and am a principal author of nearly all AES Standards on EMC.

I also had to learn a lot about Electrical Building Codes for my consulting practice designing large and small sound systems for public places -- stadiums, churches, performing arts facilities, and jazz clubs. On my website, k9yc.com, you'll find a White Paper for sound contractors I was commissioned to write. Scroll down to find it. The parts of it that apply to ham radio are in the slide deck pdf I posted yesterday.

73, Jim K9YC

d_ziolkowski

never use a 4 foot ground rod! 8 foot only!

then run a #4 from your shack gr ground rod to ground rods at power entrance.

if you have other antenna masts they also need a ground rod, and they must also be bonded together to the main power ground.

the ARRL book is very informative, if you dont want to spend $$ on hard cover, a kindle version is $10.

If you don't have a kindle reader, you can read it on the web, all you need is an amazon account.

and yes, NEC says so, if you have an issue like a lightning strike your homeowners probably won't cover it. try explaining that to the XYL!
Dan KC2STA

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM dave chaffee <medicdave220@...> wrote:
I have always been taught to keep the 2 systems separate.  RF grounding and house electrical should never mix. Even the electrician that did my house electrical said NO !!  At the communications center I worked at, ALL RF grounds were separate.  That being said... I am also open to learning the right way.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:
On 9/16/2021 3:02 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
> House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by
> my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced
> in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed
> november of last year.

What you have done is DEAD WRONG and UNSAFE. As W9MDB correctly pointed
out, ALL grounds in a building MUST, BY LAW (Electrical Codes), be
bonded together.

As to the potential for an RFI problem, ALL of the equipment in your
shack should also be bonded together right at the operating desk, and
coax shields should be bonded to ground BEFORE they enter your shack.
Bonding those shields is also critical for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC

--
David A Chaffee

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Jim Brown

On 9/16/2021 3:42 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
I have always been taught to keep the 2 systems separate.  RF grounding and house electrical should never mix.
You're not alone -- MANY were taught this, not only in ham radio, but also in the audio world.

73, Jim K9YC

Darl DEEDS

I am 5 feet above rock. Lots of other hams are less then that. We use what is available to use. We can’t say only use 8 feet of rod. It’s not possible. And no I am not going to rennet a back hoe and dig a big hole and then air hammer 3 feet of rock out just to say I am using 8 feet of ground rod. I do OK the way I am until someone else pays to install the deeper rod.

Darl  NA8W

On 9/16/2021 4:11 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
Your info brings one particular question to me. If it is my grounding system, why does it only affect 3 items in my shack and house, AND only when trying to do digital, specifically FT8 ?
Probably because it is getting into your gear (when hooked up to the station, that includes your computer and audio interface) via interconnecting wiring. Study the material in my slide deck and other references about "The Pin One Problem," which is a VERY common manufacturing error that couples hum, buzz, and RFI into electronics. Virtually EVERY piece of ham gear I've inspected has this defect on everything but their antenna connectors. So do nearly all computers, and nearly all consumer equipment.

73, Jim K9YC

Darl DEEDS

Ps, my home owners insurance covered the one and only strike I have had in 40 years.

Also my tower is 200 feet from my house and I am not bonding it to my house ground, it has four 7 feet ground rods and handles it ok, it has 7 feet due to building up the dirt under the tower to get the depth for the required footer. Which was an entirely differ issue.

Never say Never, there are those of us out here that don’t live in ideal areas of the country.

Darl  NA8W

never use a 4 foot ground rod! 8 foot only!

then run a #4 from your shack gr ground rod to ground rods at power entrance.

if you have other antenna masts they also need a ground rod, and they must also be bonded together to the main power ground.

the ARRL book is very informative, if you dont want to spend $$ on hard cover, a kindle version is $10.

If you don't have a kindle reader, you can read it on the web, all you need is an amazon account.

and yes, NEC says so, if you have an issue like a lightning strike your homeowners probably won't cover it. try explaining that to the XYL!

Dan KC2STA

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM dave chaffee <medicdave220@...> wrote:

I have always been taught to keep the 2 systems separate.  RF grounding and house electrical should never mix. Even the electrician that did my house electrical said NO !!  At the communications center I worked at, ALL RF grounds were separate.  That being said... I am also open to learning the right way.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 9/16/2021 3:02 PM, dave chaffee wrote:
> House electrical ground and shack ground are separate, and separated by
> my house. House ground is on front right of house, and was just replaced
> in April of this year. Shack ground is back left of house, installed
> november of last year.

What you have done is DEAD WRONG and UNSAFE. As W9MDB correctly pointed
out, ALL grounds in a building MUST, BY LAW (Electrical Codes), be
bonded together.

As to the potential for an RFI problem, ALL of the equipment in your
shack should also be bonded together right at the operating desk, and
coax shields should be bonded to ground BEFORE they enter your shack.
Bonding those shields is also critical for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC

--

David A Chaffee

--

Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX

d_ziolkowski

In that case you install the rod at an angle , almost horizonta. Dan kc2sta