locked Help with set up. #Icom #Cat_RigControl

vk4aac@...

Hi all,
I have purchased a new windows laptop (Windows 10) and I am trying to set it up with my IC-7200 for WSJTx.
I have fiddled around with it for days now and cannot get it to work.
When I try the "TEST CAT", I keep getting the error message...

Rig Failure
Hamlib error: Invalid Configuration
network.c(241):network_open return(-2)
iofunc(176):port_open return(-2)
rig.c(773):rig_open return(-2) while opening connection to rig.

I have checked all settings on the radio and in WSJTx.
I have tried 2 different USB leads.

I downloaded the Silabs driver (CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller). The only thing that seems a bit odd is that the Silabs driver appears in the Device Manager under a new heading, "Other Devices", which was not there before I downloaded the driver.

Also, the "Ports (Com & LPT)" heading was not in the list of devices.
I managed to get "Ports (Com & LPT)" added to the device list with "Communications Port (Com3)" under it, but the Silabs driver keeps appearing under Other Devices.         Not sure if this is a problem or not.

When I check the properties of "Communications Port (Com3)",  it states that the driver cannot start (Code 10).

When I check the properties of the driver, "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller", it states that the drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

Not sure what's going on.

I am very frustrated with this, any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Rob

Bill Somerville

On 16/09/2021 07:35, vk4aac@... wrote:
[...]

Hi Rob,

as far as I can see, the IC-7200 does not provide a CAT virtual serial port via its USB connection. I suspect you need a separate CI-V interface to connect it to your PC for CAT control. In the meantime you can set the rig frequency manually, set the mode to USB-DATA, change the DATA MOD option in the rig's menu to USB to have it take modulation from the USB audio codec, and check the "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->VOX" option along with enabling VOX on the rig to key it when Tx tones are being sent.

Rob Kivell

Hey, Rob, I have used a IC-7200 for years exclusively for data operation. You did not mention if you ever set the radio up for digital operation prior to trying to install WSJT-X. If this is your first crack at digi, I suggest you find the Julian Frost video produced by ICOM which gives you step by step instructions on how the 7200 should be set up. The video is dated but so is the 7200. The 7200 needs nothing but a Good shielded usb cable to connect to the computer. Make sure you are downloading the correct driver from the ICOM support web site.

The video goes over all of this.

If installed correctly under Device Manager, audio inputs and outputs there should be Microphone (USB Audio Codec). The same for speakers .

You might also consider joining the Ic-7200 user group. Has a lot of archived info.

From one Rob to another Good luck

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 4:03 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce N7XGR

The IC7200 contains this, a USB hub of USB2502 with these two inputs,
PCM2902 for the CODEC and a CP2102 for the com port UART.
Do the following.
Open Device Manager, find the device in Other Devices,
Double click on it, click on the driver tab, click on update driver,
Click on Browse my computer, click on Let me pick, uncheck
Show compatible hardware, Scroll up or down to find Silicon Labs
on the left side, click on it to highlight, on the right scroll down
to find the Silicon Labs CP210x, click on it, click on Next in lower right,
Let Windoze install this driver.
Report findings.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:03 AM Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bruce,

thanks for that correction. The IC-7200 user manual says nothing at all about a VCP for CAT control over the USB connection, only audio connections are mentioned, not helpful by Icom.

On 16/09/2021 16:24, Bruce N7XGR wrote:

[...]

Michael E Wilson Sr <ke5wct@...>

I went through this problem in July with my FT-991A. The first thing I noticed was that when I turned the radio power supply on, I did not get the familiar up tone (do-dat) from windows letting me know that I see's a new device (ie the internal sound card for the FT-991A). The second indication what the there was no usb port for the Silabs drivers listed in the Com&LPT ports listing (because no device was connected that needed them). The problem turned out to be the FT-991A internal sound card (SCU-17) was dead!. I verified this by breaking out the FT-450D and its external SCU-17. When connected, power supply on and windows announced (do-dat tone) that a device connected. This got me back on the air, after fighting the FT-991A for a week. Just got the 991 back from Yaesu, and it works better than ever.

May if you have a buddy with a similar rig, could set it up in your shack and thus eliminate or confirm PC problems.

73 de KE5WCT
Mike Wilson

--
73 de KE5WCT
Mike

Martin G0HDB

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 09:53 AM, <vk4aac@...> wrote:
Hi all,
[...]
I downloaded the Silabs driver (CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller). The only thing that seems a bit odd is that the Silabs driver appears in the Device Manager under a new heading, "Other Devices", which was not there before I downloaded the driver.
Hi Rob, did you install the SiLabs driver on the new laptop *before* making the USB connection between the laptop and the 7200?  Doing this seems to be a pre-requisite for getting the virtual COM port to install and behave correctly.

It might be worth uninstalling whatever is shown under 'Other Devices' and then re-installing the SiLabs driver with the 7200 totally disconnected from the laptop.

Let us know how you get on.

--
Martin G0HDB

Rob Kivell

That is correct. The drivers are installed before connecting the laptop to the radio. If I remember correctly when you connect the radio to the laptop you will hear a kind ping as it connects. I would indeed remove the drivers that went to the wrong file just because I would worry if I didn’t. I’m not a techie I learned most of this stuff by trial and error. I love my 7200 so much I bought a 7410 for SSB.

If you need more assistance don’t hesitate to ask. Let me know how things go.

On Thursday, September 16, 2021, 3:44 PM, Martin G0HDB <marting0hdb@...> wrote:

[...]

I checked out the Julian Frost Youtube video. It was helpful, but, the web address for the driver download page is now wrong.
Anyway, I had all the settings correct on the radio and WSJTx.
I uninstalled the Silabs driver and downloaded it again (V1.3), according to the Julian Frost video, still no joy.

I then uninstalled it and downloaded an earlier version, (V1.2) and BINGO, it installed in the correct location, under Ports (Com & LPT).
Now WSJTx and my IC-7200 are working just fine....go figure, it would not work with the latest driver version on my Windows 10 Laptop.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help, much appreciated.

Regards
Rob
VK2VH

vk4aac@...

Hi all,
I was a bit quick to say that my set up was working just fine.

I am receiving decodes and WSJTx is operating the PTT in the IC-7200. The Power meter in the radio and also an external power meter are showing RF going to the antenna, but I am not able to make contact with anyone after many tries and also many CQ calls.
I selected WSPR and tried that mode, but no reception or tx signals appeared on PSKReporter.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?

Regards
Rob
VK2VH

Rob Kivell

What exactly is your power meter doing? What makes you think it is RF instead of a setting on your radio or WSJT-x. Are you showing any power out? Fluctuating power. What is the reading of the ALC meter? SWR meter. Need more info please

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 12:45 AM, vk4aac@... wrote:

Hi all,
I was a bit quick to say that my set up was working just fine.

I am receiving decodes and WSJTx is operating the PTT in the IC-7200. The Power meter in the radio and also an external power meter are showing RF going to the antenna, but I am not able to make contact with anyone after many tries and also many CQ calls.
I selected WSPR and tried that mode, but no reception or tx signals appeared on PSKReporter.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?

Regards
Rob
VK2VH

Michael Black

hamspots.net shows you were getting out but you might just be having a bad day on 40M.  Only shows local countries for you.

What kind of power are you showing and what's your antenna?
Also....what does your ALC show?

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 12:45:04 AM CDT, <vk4aac@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I was a bit quick to say that my set up was working just fine.

I am receiving decodes and WSJTx is operating the PTT in the IC-7200. The Power meter in the radio and also an external power meter are showing RF going to the antenna, but I am not able to make contact with anyone after many tries and also many CQ calls.
I selected WSPR and tried that mode, but no reception or tx signals appeared on PSKReporter.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?

Regards
Rob
VK2VH

William Smith

Transmit filters? Improper (or changed, thank Win10!) output selection? Hard to tell with the given information.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 18, 2021, at 1:44 AM, vk4aac@... wrote:

Hi all,
I was a bit quick to say that my set up was working just fine.

I am receiving decodes and WSJTx is operating the PTT in the IC-7200. The Power meter in the radio and also an external power meter are showing RF going to the antenna, but I am not able to make contact with anyone after many tries and also many CQ calls.
I selected WSPR and tried that mode, but no reception or tx signals appeared on PSKReporter.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?

Regards
Rob
VK2VH

Michael Black

Fake It or Rig Split will solve filter problems.

On Saturday, September 18, 2021, 06:28:57 AM CDT, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

Transmit filters?  Improper (or changed, thank Win10!) output selection?  Hard to tell with the given information.

73, Willie N1JBJ

> On Sep 18, 2021, at 1:44 AM, vk4aac@... wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I was a bit quick to say that my set up was working just fine.
>
> I am receiving decodes and WSJTx is operating the PTT in the IC-7200. The Power meter in the radio and also an external power meter are showing RF going to the antenna, but I am not able to make contact with anyone after many tries and also many CQ calls.
> I selected WSPR and tried that mode, but no reception or tx signals appeared on PSKReporter.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?
>
> Regards
> Rob
> VK2VH

vk4aac@...

Hi all,
Have had absolutely no luck with WSJTx, so changed to JTDX and no problem, working just fine. Have made many contacts.
Not sure why JTDX is working and WSJTx is not, but a good outcome for me at least.

Thanks to all responders.

73
Rob