locked PC Audio Output Level decreases during Transmission #AudioIssues #transmit

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

During a FT4 or FT8 transmission my RF power level decreases/declines from full power to 20% of full power.  When I look at the PC's Sound Settings while transmitting I see that the Master Volume level is decreasing all by itself.  The IC7610's ALC is NOT activating as there is no visible level on the ALC meter.  I had this problem a year or two ago, but 'forgot' how I fixed it.
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Bill Somerville

On 06/09/2021 15:08, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF wrote:
During a FT4 or FT8 transmission my RF power level decreases/declines from full power to 20% of full power.  When I look at the PC's Sound Settings while transmitting I see that the Master Volume level is decreasing all by itself.  The IC7610's ALC is NOT activating as there is no visible level on the ALC meter.  I had this problem a year or two ago, but 'forgot' how I fixed it.
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX
Hi Glen,

check that you have disabled any audio enhancements available on your Tx audio device.

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hello Bill
Audio Enhancements (Spatial Sound) were and are OFF.  But Special Enhancements (audio enhancements) was ON, now turned OFF.
I'll check functionality again.
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hello Bill,
That did not correct the problem.  Audio Level from the PC still drops causing RF output to go from 97 W output to 27 W output in less that 10 seconds on every transmission.  Antenna VSWR is 1.08:1 so it's not a RF power foldback issue.
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Bill Somerville

On 06/09/2021 21:54, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF wrote:
Hello Bill,
That did not correct the problem.  Audio Level from the PC still drops causing RF output to go from 97 W output to 27 W output in less that 10 seconds on every transmission.  Antenna VSWR is 1.08:1 so it's not a RF power foldback issue.
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX
Hi Glen,

I'm not sure why you are mentioning a power fold-back on the rig, I thought you said you saw the audio device master level slider changing during a transmission?

It could be some sort of audio AGC action, are you sure you have *all* audio enhancements disabled? Also make sure your Tx audio device is not the system default audio device, otherwise some sort of automatic limiting may be activated to avoid excessive listening volume levels.

Pat

Look at your tx audio settings on your cpu before you transmit, leave that window open. Start transmission, watch the tx audio setting on cpu to see if slider is moving.   If it doesn’t move, it is an interference or alc control issue on rig side?  Let us know what you find.

Pat

Opps, ment agc not alc..

Pat

What rig are you using?

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hi
To answer the questions:
1 - I am using an Icom IC-7610.
2 - The PC Audio output SLIDER DOES move down during the transmit cycle, stating about 4-6 seconds into the cycle.  The Rig's ALC is ZERO, meaning there is no reading of ALC on the meter throughout the full TX cycle.  If I do raise the PC Audio output level very high (>90%), then I do see ALC reading on the meter display, so I keep it below that value of output.  This auto output decrease even occurs when I have power slide on the WSJT-X display at-10db, and also when I have the Power setting on the 7610 set to 25% (about 25 watts), so it's probably not RF feedback at such low power.
3-  The power output in all other modes does NOT change when keyed down (AM, FM, CW, etc), it stays full power, so this is likely not RF power foldback.  It's something in the PC that's driving the audio output to reduce?
Thanks to all who help, I've got to resolve this.
4-AGC
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Marvin Penepent

I have a IC7610 and I don't have all these problems. I can transmit at 100% or 10% and nothing changes in the software.

[...]

Forgot to sign my post about power at 100% or 10%.

Marvin
KF5MLP

[...]

To be more accurate, the PC Audio SLIDER does not move from its set position, The Output Indicating Bar moves down during the TX cycle..
As for AGC, the setting had not impact on transmit audio output
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

William Smith

Just to be absolutely clear, where us the Output Indicating Bar? On the PC or the radio?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 7, 2021, at 4:15 PM, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF <wb4ktf@...> wrote:

The Output Indicating Bar moves down during the TX cycle.

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hello Willie,
Clarification:  On the PC under Settings/Sound at the OUTPUT Master Volume  bar, I have it set at 91, during transmission the horizontal indicating bar starts at the 91 reading and then moves DOWN to around 25.  Note that there is a moveable setpoint marker, I have this set at 91, it stays fixed at 91, The indicating bar/meter is what I see moving from 91 to 25.   Then each and every transmission it starts back at 91 and then moves down to about 25.  My transmitter RF output follows this reduction thus starting at about 90 watts and ending up near 27 watts output.  It's like some ALC is reducing the audio drive level, yet there is NO ALC reading on the IC-7610 the whole transmit cycle.
The same reduction occurs when I initiate a TUNE from the WSJT-X button.  The ALC indicating bar on the IC-7610 stays at Zero 0, with no reading, yet the PC Master Volume indicator moves down to lower values..
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Glen Jenkins WB4KTF

Hi.
I with to sincerely thank Mike, W9MDB, for solving my audio issues with my PC and WSJT-X software.  He spent 1.5 hours working to resolve the issues and there were several.  THANK YOU MIKE!
--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Michael Black

The final solution was changing his audio to the left channel only which ended up reducing the audio level to about 75% constant where it was reducing to 25% with both channels.  Could not figure out why he was getting ALC action on the Windows sound control.  No other sound software found.  Completely reset audio devices.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, September 11, 2021, 05:05:02 PM CDT, Glen Jenkins WB4KTF <wb4ktf@...> wrote:

Hi.
I with to sincerely thank Mike, W9MDB, for solving my audio issues with my PC and WSJT-X software.  He spent 1.5 hours working to resolve the issues and there were several.  THANK YOU MIKE!

--
Glen, WB4KTF
Austin, TX

Jim Brown

On 9/11/2021 3:07 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
The final solution was changing his audio to the left channel only which ended up reducing the audio level to about 75% constant where it was reducing to 25% with both channels.
Mike FYI in helping others to troubleshoot--

I've long used a Tascam US100 USB-connected audio interface from the world of pro audio. Nothing fancy, 48 kHz 16-bit max, bu in addition to having very good A/D, it has front panel gain controls for both I and O, and a green/red signal presence/clip lite. I use it for the two K3s that are on my operating desk for SO2R (single-op-two radios) contesting for CW, SSB, and RTTY on HF, and of course, for WSJT modes in the primary rig (right channel). Several times, Windoze updates have re-configured it as mono, which is a train wreck for WSJT-X. The fix is to reconfiged as stereo. My primary (non-contesting) rig is on the right channel, and it's the one that does WSJT-X. Although I'm a serious contester, I've yet to be bitten by the HF FT8/FT4 contesting bug, but I'm serious as a heart attack on 6M and 160M, and I do lots of SO2R HF RTTY contests very seriously.

73, Jim K9YC