locked #txaudio #txaudio


Pete Singleton
 

Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.  

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to  'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB
 


Bill Somerville
 

On 02/09/2021 17:43, Pete Singleton via groups.io wrote:
Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to 'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB
Hi Pete,

have you disabled "Power options->Current plan->Advanced power options->Advanced settings->USB settings->USB selective suspend"?

Also you mention "Display audio", are you using an HDMI monitor? If so then the associated USB audio will power down when the monitor goes into power saving mode, that may be difficult to turn off. If you don't use the HDMI USB audio, you may be able to disable it.

An USB audio device change can potentially disrupt the WSJT-X audio sources.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Gilbert Baron
 

IF you have more than 1 sound card and you leave one as the default and do not use the default card in any way for your radio usage AND you do not use the second card for anything but your radio usage then this will not happen. It has not been the least problem for me for any version of Windows. Now on W10 Pro but have used many other versions.

 

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Singleton via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 2, 2021 11:43
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] #txaudio

 

Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.  

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to  'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB
 


--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop


Hasan Schiers N0AN
 

If you have dedicated USB sound devices (like a cheap dongle) and you assign WSJT-X to them, you won't have Win10 Pro update problems UNLESS....you plug in or unplug a new USB device, in which case the USB devices get re-enumerated by windows...and then the order of things can get messed up.

My suggestion:

Rename your WSJT-X audio devices (you can do that in windows), to a name that you will recognize (very handy if they re-enumerate) Restart WSJT-X after you do this renaming.

If you plug in or remove a USB device (audio), be sure to check to see that a name has not changed and that WSJT-X is still talking to the device you had previously set.

Since I went to naming my audio devices and NOT changing any USB audio devices, I have not had the problem with a Win10 Pro update messing things up for WSJT-X. Just remember if you change (add or remove) a USB audio device, you are well ahead of the game to check that your devices in X still match up the names in Windows list of Audio Devices.

73, N0AN
Hasan


On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Gilbert Baron <w0mn00@...> wrote:

IF you have more than 1 sound card and you leave one as the default and do not use the default card in any way for your radio usage AND you do not use the second card for anything but your radio usage then this will not happen. It has not been the least problem for me for any version of Windows. Now on W10 Pro but have used many other versions.

 

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

 

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Singleton via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, September 2, 2021 11:43
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] #txaudio

 

Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.  

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to  'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB
 


--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop



Phil Davidson
 


On Thu, 2 Sep 2021, 18:01 Pete Singleton via groups.io, <pete.singleton.46=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

I hate Windows 10.  It keeps messing with my audio setup.  

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.

When I boot up the PC, turn on the radio and load WSJT-X Rx seems fine but the Tx audio usually doesn't work.  The volume mixer shows that audio outputs are randomly scrambled. Often the audio from 'system sounds' and/or browsers go to the 'Radio In' codec but WSJT-X audio goes to the 'Display Audio' speakers.

To unscramble the mess I unload WSJT-X,  use 'Sound Settings' to disable the 'Radio In' codec to force everything to go to  'Display Audio'.  After reloading WSJT-X I go back to 'Sound Settings' and check that the WSJT-X audio (and no others) goes to 'Radio In'.

Occasionally, reasons unknown, the scrambling re-occurs if I come back to the radio after being away for a while.  Same procedure sorts it out.

Does anyone know how to fix the setup to be stable?

73 de M0PTB
 



Alan G4ZFQ
 

Pete

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.
You must make your on-board sound default for PC sounds.
I'm not sure how you can be sure of being completely stable when you change rigs. Windows may see them as different devices, if it does there is a good chance it will reconfigure.

If you setup one rig and make sure it is switched on when you reboot then you have a good chance of retaining settings. That would also work if you use two rigs simultaneously. Unfortunately any change may alter configuration.

Have all power saving turned off including HDMI screens.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


KT7AZ
 
Edited

When Win 10 does one of the upgrades from say 20H? To 20H?? It resets many of your hardware settings to default, this includes your sound cards.  These default settings include “power save” modes.  Unfortunately these settings are notorious for breaking the sound card settings used.  I have found that my sound card would quit working when computer screen would turn off buy the timer I set in Windows.

I finally gave up and turned that feature off.

you can also go to Control Panel, Device Manager and right click your hardware devices one by one, right click and select Properties, then look for a tab called “Power Management”.  Once there uncheck the box next to “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

Not sure why Microsoft forces this feature, guess they are just green zealots.

Gary
KT7AZ
--
KT7AZ


KT7AZ
 

Something else that helps with Power Saving mode killing sound cards and USB devices.

go to Win 10 control panel, (make sure your view is “Large Icons”). View selections is on top right of screen.

then select “Power Options”, Once there make sure “High Performance” is selected.  Then to the right of this selection click on “Change Plan Settings”

Here you will see an option to click on “Change advanced power settings”. Click 

A new window will appear, expand all the options, you can set timers for suspend, sleep etc.  I either disable all of them or put the most outrageous time I can.  

The USB settings are very important,  disable the “ USB selective suspend settings”.

This all helps but Microsoft seems to think they know better than you and will do things on their unsolicited updates.

Good luck,
Gary
--
KT7AZ


Mike Koralewski K8VA
 

Hmmmm. The Windows updates are not unsolicited, you agreed to the updates... 
Didnt read the ULI... Did ya... 
Just sayin"... 
--
73 Mike 73


KT7AZ
 

Oh, so your the guy who actually read the ULI, wow, never met anyone that did before.  Anyway, you are right.  I just wish you could do them on your own time.  I have four repeater sites I am still running win7 Pro at.  I just don’t want to drive up a mountain to reboot after the a win10 update cuts off the RealVNC connection.  Guess this is one of things I am Pro Choice on.

Gary
--
KT7AZ


Mike Koralewski K8VA
 

TAZ...
Well, that's a great case for moving everything to Linux....
P.S.
I'm a retired IT pro... I have read MANY.. 
All of my colleagues have as well... 
73 Mike K8VA 


NR4U Bob AFMARS
 

Hello Pete Singleton via groups.io:
Thursday, September 2, 2021, 12:43:23 PM, you chiseled out:

I have a PC with Win10 Pro 64bit.  I use WSJT-X (now v2.4.0) for FT8.  I connect to my radio (various Icom, Yaesu) via an USB 'Audio Codec'.  The cabling is stable - I don't replug my USB ports.
This is happening to me, mostly with my Yaesu FT-450. The audio path ends up on the display's audio codec "usually" ...and randomly throiughout the day. thanks for writing this up.

--
Best regards,
Bob KD7YZ EM88LL



--
--
Bob KD7YZ in NE Kentucky


Tom Melvin
 

You have to read the ULI - important stuff in there - what to expect and what not to expect and recompense.

No point in going off on a rant when it’s documented that it may happen.

ULI, Terms and Conditions cookie policies etc are a must read.

Irresponsible if you don’t IMO

Tom
GM8MJV

On 5 Sep 2021, at 00:52, KT7AZ <kt7az.v69@...> wrote:

Oh, so your the guy who actually read the ULI, wow, never met anyone that did before. Anyway, you are right. I just wish you could do them on your own time. I have four repeater sites I am still running win7 Pro at. I just don’t want to drive up a mountain to reboot after the a win10 update cuts off the RealVNC connection. Guess this is one of things I am Pro Choice on.

Gary
--
KT7AZ


KT7AZ
 

A quick fi to try when TX audio is lost is to go to the WSJT  audio settings and re-select your audio card.  Even though it shows to be already selected choose it again.

It is a short term possible solution, it is not in the Microsoft ULI I believe.
--
KT7AZ


Chuck Moore
 

Thank you for the feedback Gary. Given the way Billy Gates
asserts himself with the updates, these days it is a checklist
item, to verify the USB Audio Devices have not played musical
chairs.

Never will forget the time a user brought in their laptop for
repair with the complaint the terminal program quit working.
The terminal program would not work with ComPort Numbers
above 8 and Windows had somehow incremented CommPorts
all the way up to 29 on his luggable. I think it was Windows 7,
every time you plugged in a new device that used a CommPort 
and had not been enumerated on the box previously, Windows
would increment the CommPort number by 1. If the operator
used his laptop for a Craft Interface, every time he plugged into
another customer's Cross Connect, Windows would increment
port number by one. Worse was on some of the laptops was
plugging the same device into the same laptop on a different
USB Port incremented the CommPort number.

Just another of the many mysterious quirks seen over the years.

Regards

Chuck WD4HXG

On September 5, 2021 at 1:32 PM, "KT7AZ" <kt7az.v69@...> wrote:

A quick fi to try when TX audio is lost is to go to the WSJT  audio settings and re-select your audio card.  Even though it shows to be already selected choose it again.

It is a short term possible solution, it is not in the Microsoft ULI I believe.
--
KT7AZ




Jim Brown
 

On 9/5/2021 1:24 PM, Chuck Moore via groups.io wrote:
Given the way Billy Gates
asserts himself with the updates
Mr. Gates has not been associated with Microsoft for many years.

73, Jim K9YC


Chuck Moore
 

Bill Gates is as good of a boogeyman as any other to lay  blame.  :-)

On September 5, 2021 at 4:52 PM, "Jim Brown" <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 9/5/2021 1:24 PM, Chuck Moore via groups.io wrote:
Given the way Billy Gates
asserts himself with the updates

Mr. Gates has not been associated with Microsoft for many years.

73, Jim K9YC




Jim Brown
 

On 9/5/2021 2:19 PM, Chuck Moore via groups.io wrote:
Bill Gates is as good of a boogeyman as any other to lay  blame
Our world would be far better without boogeymen to blame.

73, Jim